dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pnh102

Re: So Predictable... No Outrage

We did not set out to kill Osama. We set out to ensure Afganistan was not use to train terrorists. That is what I was told by Bush. He didn't even care about Osama.

Which means we need to civilize Afganistan. Which means we will be there for the next 100 years...
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

said by dnoyeB:

We did not set out to kill Osama. We set out to ensure Afganistan was not use to train terrorists. That is what I was told by Bush. He didn't even care about Osama.

Which means we need to civilize Afganistan. Which means we will be there for the next 100 years...

We'd also be hearing howling from the media if any Republican president continued to bring up his predecessor so often when talking about foreign policy failures so late into his current term.

I think anyone with some basic common sense can see that while we can bring civilization to Afghanistan, it isn't worth a 100 year commitment, or even a commitment to 2024, as outlined by 0bama in a previous speech.
--
Romney/Ryan 2012 - Put a couple of mature adults in charge.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

Ending the Iraq war was easy because we know they did not attack us. No threat will be coming from there.

Ending Afganistan war is politically harder because how to you get the political wind to agree that ending it is "obviously rational?" You need some sort of political position that will guarantee people will not blame you for any new activities deemed to come from Afganistan.

I don't think the next president will end it either.
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

said by dnoyeB:

Ending the Iraq war was easy because we know they did not attack us. No threat will be coming from there.

To be fair, regardless of who won in 2008, our troops would have come home from Iraq, as we were no longer welcome there.

»www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc···/247174/

And I won't blame 0bama if Iraq goes to hell... they chose it. He just gave them what they wanted.
said by dnoyeB:

Ending Afganistan war is politically harder because how to you get the political wind to agree that ending it is "obviously rational?" You need some sort of political position that will guarantee people will not blame you for any new activities deemed to come from Afganistan.

I respectfully disagree. I think most people in the US are tired of Afghanistan, especially many people like me on the conservative side. The general thinking is, we got UBL, we can easily get other individual terrorists, we've been there for over 10 years and Afghanistan doesn't want to evolve into a modern Westernized country, and they won't let our troops fight on our terms... why bother?

Say 0bama did announce a complete withdrawal from Afghanistan after we got UBL. I am certain there would be blowback from the Sean Hannitys of the world, who would be critical of anything 0bama does simply because he is 0bama, but I am also certain that most Americans, including myself, would agree with the decision.
--
Romney/Ryan 2012 - Put a couple of mature adults in charge.