FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to ltecajun

Re: deal or no deal?

said by ltecajun:

I would like to know what exactly you do on your FIOS connection that would require such a large connection? I have already cut the cord myself and find it very difficult to find the need for such bandwidth unless I want to view illegal content. Netflix/Amazon/Roku type services only require maximum of 5-7 Mbps.

You won't get anywhere with that argument. Because they will say some frat house with 20 members and 12 devices each and downloading HD videos 24hrs a day needs 1gb/s at $100/mo. and not providing it is a human rights violation.
--
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-platform_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-plat···onalism/

Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

said by FFH:

You won't get anywhere with that argument. Because they will say some frat house with 20 members and 12 devices each and downloading HD videos 24hrs a day needs 1gb/s at $100/mo. and not providing it is a human rights violation.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." right?

Not even Bill Gates would say something like that.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

said by Kamus:

said by FFH:

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." right?

Not even Bill Gates would say something like that.

At the time that was enough. What's your point? If a company build their product solely to provide what "could" be future demands years down the road, they will never stop building and certainly never make money.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

said by ltecajun:

I would like to know what exactly you do on your FIOS connection that would require such a large connection? I have already cut the cord myself and find it very difficult to find the need for such bandwidth unless I want to view illegal content. Netflix/Amazon/Roku type services only require maximum of 5-7 Mbps.

Generally, it's the enthusiast crowd that usually finds the killer apps for the bandwidth.. generally speaking HD VIDEO at high bitrates and 1080P + resolutions would eatup 125 megabytes per second easily.. (aka 1 gigaBIT per second) That's about the fastest most hard drives do on BURSTs of data for a single computer.. divide it by 3, 10, 30 devices and it will be best effort shared... most smart phones & tablets under wifi 802.11n can only get throughput of about 25MB/sec because they run on 1500mah (or less) Li-Ion batteries.

1 gigabit is the dividing line between old and new generation broadband.. because the delivery mechansim pushes fiber optics either to the premise or very close (should cable/metro ethernet still decide on coax or bonded/multiplexed copper wire solutions). Back in the day bandwidth we've come to know as broadband ranged from 64kbits (the slowest isdn bandwidth) to t3 lines (approx 45 megabits). Nothing faster was usually necessary due to the constraints of the equipment of the day.. there was no 1080p video conferencing... or multimedia internet as we know it today. It was crazy talk for a residential customer to want a t3 line.. crazily expensive. Today asymmetric 50 megabits are commonplace in most major metro areas.. and no it shouldn't take another 20 years to get to gigabit.. these companies have had it too good the last decade to rest on their laurels. I know once google fiber is lit-up that will light a fire under consumers in the northeast to pressure telco & cableco alike to get the same or better.. at comparable prices too. Without the trailblazers in the notheast, most people in the midwest will be stuck with capped and overage charge gouging everywhere else.. This new bandwidth will bring about a 10,000% decrease in the cost of wholesale bandwidth (over 10 years).

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

Extreme much?
How about just a family of 4. No frat boys. Well, maybe 2 at most ...