spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Black20VT
join:2003-05-30
UK

Black20VT

[Free] Syncing Software

Most of my work in done on a laptop, as it often travels with me. However, I'd like to keep the files synced to my server for backup purposes and sometimes I use the desktop at home.

Can anyone recommend any syncing software, ideally free, that'll keep my laptop and server in sync automagically?

Ideally, it'll work when away from home and I've an internet connection (perhaps manually triggering syncs), but when at home, as soon as a file changes on any device, it's syncs.

I can think of Sugarsync, but this uses the cloud as go between, which I'd prefer not to do, I'd rather a direct connection between deivces. It also has a 5GB limit in place on the free account.

What else is out there?
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

OZO

Premium Member

Try FreeFileSync.
activoice
join:2008-02-10
York, ON

activoice to Black20VT

to Black20VT
If it's small amount of data you could use Dropbox (depending on your account limit) and just save those files to your Dropbox folder, where they will automatically be synced across all devices that are connected to Dropbox.

Alternatively if you have a Gmail account you could look at Google Drive

»drive.google.com/
-
-
For manual solutions...
-
-
When I am at home I use SyncBack Free to sync files between my laptop, desktop and my server:

»www.2brightsparks.com/do ··· ack.html

To Sync files while you are not on your local network though you will probably need to establish a VPN connection to your server.

Another alternative I guess would be to setup an FTP server at home, and use an FTP client on your laptop to push your updates to your server.

Another alternative is Box.net When I signed up using my Ipod Touch I got 50gb for free, and you can connect to it over WebDav. But this would basically be cloud storage.

One thing to note about syncing files while you are away... if you are doing a lot of uploading to your server, you are going to be restricted by the upload bandwidth. At home I only have a 6 mb down, 1mb up connection, so uploading takes a long time if you are talking about large file sizes.

Black20VT
UK

Black20VT to OZO

to OZO
said by OZO:

Try FreeFileSync.

I'm using FreeFileSync at the moment, but as far as I'm aware, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't sync as soon as a file changes, only on a set schedule?

Also, can it work when not on the LAN?
Black20VT

Black20VT to activoice

to activoice
said by activoice:

If it's small amount of data you could use Dropbox (depending on your account limit) and just save those files to your Dropbox folder, where they will automatically be synced across all devices that are connected to Dropbox.

I've looked at Dropbox in the past and seems very similar to what Sugarsync offer. Although it does appear to have the advantage that if it recognises you're on the same LAN as the files to be synced, it'll sync bypassing the 'cloud'.
said by activoice:

Alternatively if you have a Gmail account you could look at Google Drive

»drive.google.com/

I actually do have Google Drive already, but using it in a very basic way at the moment. Perhaps I'll re-visit this and see if I can find a guide to use it for syncing across devices...
said by activoice:

For manual solutions...

When I am at home I use SyncBack Free to sync files between my laptop, desktop and my server:

»www.2brightsparks.com/do ··· ack.html

I did try that in the past, before settling for FreeFileSync.
said by activoice:

To Sync files while you are not on your local network though you will probably need to establish a VPN connection to your server.

I've a VPN to home already, so that could be another option.
said by activoice:

Another alternative I guess would be to setup an FTP server at home, and use an FTP client on your laptop to push your updates to your server.

Hmm, that sounds a little complicated for me
said by activoice:

Another alternative is Box.net When I signed up using my Ipod Touch I got 50gb for free, and you can connect to it over WebDav. But this would basically be cloud storage.

Similar to Sugarsync, Dropbox etc... Plenty of choice with the Cloud middle man.
said by activoice:

One thing to note about syncing files while you are away... if you are doing a lot of uploading to your server, you are going to be restricted by the upload bandwidth. At home I only have a 6 mb down, 1mb up connection, so uploading takes a long time if you are talking about large file sizes.

My home connection should be fine (78MB Down, 20MB Up), so the bottleneck would be wherever I am. This is why I'm thinking a manual sync when away from home is the best option.

I'd really like to avoid going through the cloud and just have a direct sync between laptop and server really...
OZO
Premium Member

1 recommendation

OZO to Black20VT

Premium Member

to Black20VT
said by Black20VT:

said by OZO:

Try FreeFileSync.

I'm using FreeFileSync at the moment, but as far as I'm aware, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't sync as soon as a file changes, only on a set schedule?

There is RealtimeSync component coming with it:
RealtimeSync is a small tool which executes a command line each time it detects changes in one of the monitored directories or a directory becomes available (e. g. insert of a USB-stick). Usually this command line will simply trigger a FreeFileSync batch job.
I don't use it though, I use sync on demand manually to see what was actually changed...

You lost me here. If it's not on a LAN, where is it. If it's connected to the internet and is able to open a host via system means - you can sync files between your computer and that host. There is also FTP support for other cases too...

Black20VT
UK

Black20VT

said by OZO:

said by Black20VT:

said by OZO:

Try FreeFileSync.

There is RealtimeSync component coming with it:
RealtimeSync is a small tool which executes a command line each time it detects changes in one of the monitored directories or a directory becomes available (e. g. insert of a USB-stick). Usually this command line will simply trigger a FreeFileSync batch job.
I don't use it though, I use sync on demand manually to see what was actually changed...

Hmm, I'll have to see how this works too, as this could work for me.
said by OZO:

You lost me here. If it's not on a LAN, where is it. If it's connected to the internet and is able to open a host via system means - you can sync files between your computer and that host. There is also FTP support for other cases too...

Being a laptop, it's often off site with me whilst I work. However, the server remains at home, where I'd like to be able to sync (probably manually) from my laptop away with me, to my server at home.

Does that make sense?
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

Yes, it does. At your home you have to run VPN to get connection to your local server from any location on the Internet. I'd recommend to look at OpenVPN project.

Black20VT
UK

1 recommendation

Black20VT

Well, I've FreeFileSync working perfectly with RealTimeSync.

Thanks for the pointers, totally forgot about the RTS option.

Just need to test off site now...
OZO
Premium Member

1 recommendation

OZO

Premium Member

Thank you for feedback.

Black20VT
UK

Black20VT

Apologies for opening this topic again, but the RTS option on FFS just doesn't seem to be working for me anymore and I've no idea why.

So I'm back to the drawing board looking for an alternative.

So can anyone recommend anything else?
Expand your moderator at work