djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

Might as well.

Last i knew, MetroPcs has 700Mhz, 1900mhz/pcs, and aws spectrum. Granted not a lot, but it still will help t-mobile with the refarming. Plus MetroPcs has an LTE network.

At&t converted it's cdma alltel territory it acquired, so this should be that much different. Plus, t-mobile can refarm MetroPcs spectrum to help it's current PCS/AWS refarming. (putting HSPA+ on pcs) while possibly keeping current metropcs customers running until they get new phones.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

TMO needed for AWS spectrum in the NE which Verizon outbid them. MetroPCS has the NE AWS spectrum so they are good. In addition AT&T was trying to have new AWS bands defined to squeeze them, so this is a perfect spectrum match.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to djdanska

to djdanska
The kicker here is that MetroPCS could migrate off of CDMA pretty quickly if it needed to (e.g. when merging with TMo). The company already has one VoLTE-capable phone and they're pushing hard for more. Of course it might be cheaper to just give everyone on MetroPCS an HSPA capable phone comparable to what they have now on MetroPCS, compared to getting VoLTE running on TMo's entire network on a quick schedule. But it's an option.

As for spectrum, TMo and MetroPCS fit perfectly: PCS and AWS. The key for T-Mobile will be shutting down CDMA on AWS quickly so they can use all of MetroPCS's spectrum there for LTE.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

TMO seems to be pretty good at refarming the spectrum. I don't think it would take them long as long as they'd set a plan and make it soild and just roll with it. Even if it means moving those customers over to TMO handsets. TMO could give out free phones.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Free phones cost money though. Even if you're replacing MetroPCS quality phones.