how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Wowthatsslow

join:2011-11-29
Brooklyn, NY

Slowdowns? on FIBER? REALLY?!?!

So I just got FIOS was installed on Sept 18 and man 75/35 is nice. Downloading from Usenet with a premium service at nearly 10 megs a second 9.89 to be exact.... and for the first week day or night this is what I got...

So now we're at the second week of my new service and my usenet speeds drop to 1.5 to 3 starting at 5:30 6pm............]

Ok I had cable with a 60 down which gave me 7.02 megs a second down day or night and my usenet service NEVER capped my downloads....

My speeds APPEAR to be full from running speed tests but my downloads are suffering HEAVILY how is that????

PC is hooked directly to modem or through a router I get the same results.......

Teach came in this morning told me he has no clue what the problem is. The CS I spoke to on the phone on Friday told me "IN A PERFECT WORLD YOU'LL GET FULL SPEED"....

So I guess a perfect world ends at primetime???

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
And what are your speeds to everything else? One service does not measure your speed. Maybe other people are accessing the usenet server you are using and it is getting overtaxed, FiOS cannot keep that from happening.

rgoltsch
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Caldwell, NJ
reply to Wowthatsslow
You can hook up a fire hose to that little spigot outside your house, doesn't mean that spigot will fill that big hose like a fire hydrant would.......

Translation: If the server feeding you is getting overloaded and bogged down by users, no matter how fast your FIOS is, your speeds will slow down.

I see that all the time with different services on my FIOS connection. Downloading ISO's from Microsoft servers simply fly by, while updates from Adobe can slow to a crawl....it all depends on the server pushing the information to you.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
welcome to Fios, where you normally have more bandwidth than the servers.

Max Greene

join:2000-12-22
Bayonne, NJ
reply to Wowthatsslow
Are you maxing out the number of connections? I would bet my life its not FIOS and it is your usenet provider. What provider are you using? I use astraweb and max out connections to the eu ssl servers with no slowdowns at any time day or night.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA
said by Max Greene:

Are you maxing out the number of connections? I would bet my life its not FIOS and it is your usenet provider. What provider are you using? I use astraweb and max out connections to the eu ssl servers with no slowdowns at any time day or night.

maxing your connections is usually a bad thing and generates more traffic and overhead for your PC and the remote server.

You should start with a small number and increase by 1 till you reach the max speed - usually your line speed. Most modern clients can easily max out a 75mbps line with 6-10 connections depending on distance between you and the host. At a certain point you begin chewing up disc and cpu and reach a point of diminishing returns that can negatively impact performance of your PC.

Obviously this is also dependent on the PC you are running and your service provider, but its vary rare to need more than 10 unless you have the +100mbps service.

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
I feel what he said. I also notice slowdowns during prime time on my 150M connection. Yes its probably more bandwidth then most sites will provide, but its always the same everywhere during the same times. Makes me then believe its not possible its strictly every single location that slows down for me (Microsoft, Apple, etc).

Old Dino

@verizon.net
reply to Wowthatsslow
Last weekend I converted to FIOS. I switched from cable to the 75/35 bundle. I noticed the same problem, namely I see significant slowdowns at night. In my case I see the slowdowns just getting from one web page to another.

I find that speed test shows inconsistent results based on time of day. I might see 82/20 on a wired connection and at the same time I see 30/44 on a wireless connection. (why can a wireless connection upload faster than a wired on)

Last night my browser was timing out just trying to get to the google search screen. I noted that the FIOS TV boxes are all network attached. I wondered if they have a DNS bottleneck. Do they have enough DNS servers to handle the demands of their network as people come home in the evening and start watching TV .

I've been considering configuring the router to use a different server, maybe OpenDNS. I wonder if anyone else has tried something like this?

neftv

join:2000-10-01
Broomall, PA
reply to Wowthatsslow
I know with my connection which is 20/5 Fios (Internet Only) things are different from when I first got Fios few years back. In fact I was the first to get it in the neighborhood which I know that does not make any difference with Fios. When Verizon opened the bandwidth pipes for higher speed packages I then noticed the difference. It must be upstream the bandwidth just is not there to serve everyone at the same time with the higher bandwidth demands during peak times which can occur at anytime not just primetime. Meanwhile at my end I first noticed it when my IPTV boxes (Roku, IPTV box from Sweden and my ITX mini computer which I use for watching streaming media) without reason just stop streaming or go offline intermittantly some days even more. I can surf when this happens I just not been able to pinpoint where the bottleneck happens but it seems to me that someone unplugs a network somewhere then plugs it in after sometime. I know it can't be that since I can surf during the IPTV outage but it might be something with what IPTV uses as transmission I dont know. I am using an Asus RT-N12B1 router with the latest Shibby firmware and operating on the original ONT as well.

jimboe

join:2000-08-14
New York
reply to Wowthatsslow
dns server could be one issue..

i wonder if he's bpon?

Wowthatsslow

Brooklyn, NY
reply to Wowthatsslow
Im using Giganews with their giganews accelerator and Usenet Explorer to view the groups my conenctions are maxxed as is my speed and at 5:55 last night I went from 9.8 to 5.0 and by 10pm I was at a 1.34 but my speed test from speedtest.verizon.net comes up at 81/34

Again why was the cable company able to give me sustained 7.02 megs down any time of day or night but FIOS can't?

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:17
Since your speedtests are fine on-net during the USENET slowdowns, the issue is off of Verizon's network and out of their control. Do you have a way to test a file transfer from another site during your USENET slowdowns?

Wowthatsslow

Brooklyn, NY
reply to Wowthatsslow
Yes I forgot to mention even tho its not the best site to test from I tried downloading a 4 gig demo from fileplanet and 1.3 was the top speed and right now I'm at a 9.9

If anybody has a better site to test from I'm open to suggestions

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
FilePlanet is generally awful at night. They're one of those "Pay to DL fast" sites still to this day in my book. It looks like to me, they're finally shutting down too. Good riddance.

Try GameFront or a mirror such as »mirrors.rit.edu/ . I know I can get 12MB/s off of them at night on capable connections here in the Buffalo area, so they should have absolutely no issue with maxing your connection out.

Examples:

»www.gamefront.com/files/22255789···_1_of_3_
»mirrors.rit.edu/fedora/linux/rel···-DVD.iso

QuaffAPint
A Big Thanks To The Troops

join:2001-01-10
Downingtown, PA
reply to Wowthatsslow
I'm noticing it ever since I upgraded to the newer speeds - Just in average browsing pages and images will suffer major slowdowns.

I tried on multiple PCs, and rebooted the router - happens multiple times over multiple days. I never had this problem before the speed upgrade.

I do a speed test and it says 50/10 (don't know why such low upload), so I don't know if it's just the router and connections or what - I use OpenDNS like always, so it shouldn't be DNS.
--
{Send Secure Notes Free and Easily} :: whisperBot.com

halfelite_1

@sbcglobal.net
Im getting slowdowns also but this has happened before it lasted about a week and then fixed itself and now its starting again. im on the 25/15 plan and downloading a file from my work server used to get 28mbit now im lucky if i get 75kb/s im waiting this one out to see if it corrects itself like last time. At the same time of the slowdown. I still get full speed to certain speedtest.net servers but others Im lucky if i get 1mbit. So seems like there is a bummed route somewhere.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA
Not to say these thing dont exist as i know they do but im very much in the camp that during the 6-9pm EST time the internet as a whole reaches peak congestion and that this is a server side not client side issue.

I've rarely had any issue though during this time but purposely avoid it for any transfers or large downloads.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Wowthatsslow
I've only had issues recently. Do these Denial of Service attacks that have hit the banks and the federal government recently have anything to do with these slowdowns? That is the only unusual thing I've read about that has been going on recently. And it did coincide with slowdowns I saw with my 150/65 tier.

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Wowthatsslow
There is a good chance it is the usenet provider. I get slowdowns on mine more during peak hours I think due to I/O load on their servers. I also notice the speed can vary a ton from file to file. I use giganews and astraweb. There have been a few cases of where I have seen slow downs but its pretty likely that its on the other end because Verizon is a tier 1 transit provider.

For example during peak hours I see bad latency and slow speeds to my dad's place on Charter. Charter/VZ directly connect to each-other through peering but I would be surprised if Charter is not payiing VZ for the peering considering the difference in their class of network. Its likely that Charter's port to VZ is being saturated and they don't pay more for another link because its handling traffic ok during off-peak hours.
--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!

Wowthatsslow

Brooklyn, NY
reply to Wowthatsslow
So I get an automated call from Verizon telling me that the problem was fixed because it was something to do with MY hardware... Right thats a crock because nothing has changed in the last week. Anyway so its 6:30 and my speeds are jumping around from 6megs to 8.5megs on usenet and from Smith6612's link for Gamefront I'm hitting a 9.9 so is this 6 days of fluke slow speeds or 1 night of fluke fast speeds?

And just for $hits and giggles I'm hitting a 10 on fileplanet.....

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
What are the units here? 9.9MegaBytes/sec? If that's the case, then what's the problem?

If you're getting 9.9 from Gamefront and 10 from fileplanet, then the problem is obviously with the usenet provider or the routing to the usenet provider. Either way, there's nothing Verizon will/can do about it.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Wowthatsslow
Not every server out there will do the full 150Mbps...if you do multiple torrents(linux .isos of course) with a high number of seeds and downloads from Microsoft, Apple or Nvidia/AMD SIMULTANEOUSLY I'm sure you'll fill your connection. Until you do these this discussion is pointless.

Cablefish

join:2002-01-19
Toms River, NJ
reply to Wowthatsslow
Here is what I have noticed with Giganews. The older the articles are, the slower they will download. So for example if I snag something that was posted just this week, I get full speed on my 75/35 with 8 connections. But if I go back past 400 days then the download speed almost always gets cut in half. Going back 1400 days is anyones bet. At first I figured this can't possibly be happening. Possibly they just put the old posts on the back burner and slow the speeds since most people already got those posts. This is my guess for the drop in speed.

buckweet1980

join:2011-12-31
Allen, TX
said by Cablefish:

Here is what I have noticed with Giganews. The older the articles are, the slower they will download. So for example if I snag something that was posted just this week, I get full speed on my 75/35 with 8 connections. But if I go back past 400 days then the download speed almost always gets cut in half. Going back 1400 days is anyones bet. At first I figured this can't possibly be happening. Possibly they just put the old posts on the back burner and slow the speeds since most people already got those posts. This is my guess for the drop in speed.

They put them on different tiers of storage.. New articles get the big fast storage arrays, probably even SSD/ramdisk and older articles are probably on last gen storage systems made of slow 7200rpm drives. Storage arrays and drives are not cheap.

yurimaster

join:2009-09-28
Alexandria, VA
reply to Wowthatsslow
I never really know for sure or can get a straight answer. The question. Is my fios line dedicated or shared ? Some fios techs says it's a dedicated line to the CO, but I believe is shared like with cable. I do get a symmetric connection of 35/35 speeds are close to that advertise speeds for the most part.
The only service that I know is dedicated are T lines or dedicated fiber to your building from the provider line. Now I do have the business internet because so I can have static IP for my hosting.

Pher9999

join:2011-07-06
Carmel, NY
Your fiber line goes all backto the CO, where it's then combined in the routers with everyone else. There is no true Dedicated Connections to the backbones, Everyone gets shared at some point or another. Just a matter of where. Cable tends to combined closer to your house limited the upgrade capacity, Fios you go back to the CO, so there is your ONT and their side. Fiber capacity is determined mostly by the equipment. 150mb is OC3 level. It's easier to add more capacity to the CO, then out on a street somewhere for a smaler neighborhood.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
A fiber line is shared from the CO to a Fiber Distribution Hub (FDH) in your neighborhood. In the FDH, a single fiber is split between typically 32 users using a passive optical splitter. The fiber from the FDH to your ONT is dedicated.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Max Greene

join:2000-12-22
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Boost Mobile
reply to danclan
said by danclan:

said by Max Greene:

maxing your connections is usually a bad thing and generates more traffic and overhead for your PC and the remote server.

You should start with a small number and increase by 1 till you reach the max speed - usually your line speed. Most modern clients can easily max out a 75mbps line with 6-10 connections depending on distance between you and the host. At a certain point you begin chewing up disc and cpu and reach a point of diminishing returns that can negatively impact performance of your PC.

Obviously this is also dependent on the PC you are running and your service provider, but its vary rare to need more than 10 unless you have the +100mbps service.

Ive done it over and over never having an issue, if someone has a dinosaur of a PC then maybe this could be an issue but otherwise it should not affect anything other than allowing him to max out his connection speed.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
Wowthatsslow this obviously sounds like a routing capacity issue from the symptoms described. Your cable company is going to take a different route to giganews than verizon. You need to provide giganews with appropriate traceroutes displaying where and when the slowdown is occurring so they can make the appropriate routing adjustments to get a better route for you during peak hours or look for another news provider or ISP if you don't want to deal with hassling giganews over the routing issues.

IMHO I'd never ditch an obvious far superior product in fios over a minor routing issue (That probably has nothing to do with Verizon in the first place)

Klownicle

join:2005-03-15
Sarasota, FL

1 edit
reply to Wowthatsslow
I know its completely random to post that you have slow speeds. But I've had FiOS for maybe 3 years now. Its litterly been rock solid the whole trip. Untill recently, I upgraded to 75mbit, was getting great speeds. 80+. Just like always not even a hickup or a drop. I use my connection alot so i've come to notice when something is out of the norm. For the past 2 weeks now my normal speed test sites can't even come close to maxing my line, usually around 50-60mbit. My usenet won't max out anymore, hits maybe 70mbit and its not constant either.

I tested on the fios300 site and thats the only place I can get 80mbit+. So id have to deem it a routing issue. But seriously this sucks. I don't know if theres anything I could even do.

I've tried different usenet providers and it only seems to get worse. I'm currently using astraweb.