Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to Wowthatsslow

MVM,

to Wowthatsslow

Re: Slowdowns? on FIBER? REALLY?!?!

What are the units here? 9.9MegaBytes/sec? If that's the case, then what's the problem?

If you're getting 9.9 from Gamefront and 10 from fileplanet, then the problem is obviously with the usenet provider or the routing to the usenet provider. Either way, there's nothing Verizon will/can do about it.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to Wowthatsslow

to Wowthatsslow
Not every server out there will do the full 150Mbps...if you do multiple torrents(linux .isos of course) with a high number of seeds and downloads from Microsoft, Apple or Nvidia/AMD SIMULTANEOUSLY I'm sure you'll fill your connection. Until you do these this discussion is pointless.
Cablefish
join:2002-01-19
Toms River, NJ

Cablefish to Wowthatsslow

to Wowthatsslow
Here is what I have noticed with Giganews. The older the articles are, the slower they will download. So for example if I snag something that was posted just this week, I get full speed on my 75/35 with 8 connections. But if I go back past 400 days then the download speed almost always gets cut in half. Going back 1400 days is anyones bet. At first I figured this can't possibly be happening. Possibly they just put the old posts on the back burner and slow the speeds since most people already got those posts. This is my guess for the drop in speed.
buckweet1980
join:2011-12-31
Saint Petersburg, FL

buckweet1980

said by Cablefish:

Here is what I have noticed with Giganews. The older the articles are, the slower they will download. So for example if I snag something that was posted just this week, I get full speed on my 75/35 with 8 connections. But if I go back past 400 days then the download speed almost always gets cut in half. Going back 1400 days is anyones bet. At first I figured this can't possibly be happening. Possibly they just put the old posts on the back burner and slow the speeds since most people already got those posts. This is my guess for the drop in speed.

They put them on different tiers of storage.. New articles get the big fast storage arrays, probably even SSD/ramdisk and older articles are probably on last gen storage systems made of slow 7200rpm drives. Storage arrays and drives are not cheap.
yurimaster
join:2009-09-28
Alexandria, VA

yurimaster to Wowthatsslow

to Wowthatsslow
I never really know for sure or can get a straight answer. The question. Is my fios line dedicated or shared ? Some fios techs says it's a dedicated line to the CO, but I believe is shared like with cable. I do get a symmetric connection of 35/35 speeds are close to that advertise speeds for the most part.
The only service that I know is dedicated are T lines or dedicated fiber to your building from the provider line. Now I do have the business internet because so I can have static IP for my hosting.

Pher9999
join:2011-07-06
Saucier, MS

Pher9999

Your fiber line goes all backto the CO, where it's then combined in the routers with everyone else. There is no true Dedicated Connections to the backbones, Everyone gets shared at some point or another. Just a matter of where. Cable tends to combined closer to your house limited the upgrade capacity, Fios you go back to the CO, so there is your ONT and their side. Fiber capacity is determined mostly by the equipment. 150mb is OC3 level. It's easier to add more capacity to the CO, then out on a street somewhere for a smaler neighborhood.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

A fiber line is shared from the CO to a Fiber Distribution Hub (FDH) in your neighborhood. In the FDH, a single fiber is split between typically 32 users using a passive optical splitter. The fiber from the FDH to your ONT is dedicated.
margaf
join:2000-12-22
Las Vegas, NV

margaf to danclan

to danclan
said by danclan:

said by margaf:

Are you maxing out the number of connections? I would bet my life its not FIOS and it is your usenet provider. What provider are you using? I use astraweb and max out connections to the eu ssl servers with no slowdowns at any time day or night.

maxing your connections is usually a bad thing and generates more traffic and overhead for your PC and the remote server.

You should start with a small number and increase by 1 till you reach the max speed - usually your line speed. Most modern clients can easily max out a 75mbps line with 6-10 connections depending on distance between you and the host. At a certain point you begin chewing up disc and cpu and reach a point of diminishing returns that can negatively impact performance of your PC.

Obviously this is also dependent on the PC you are running and your service provider, but its vary rare to need more than 10 unless you have the +100mbps service.

Ive done it over and over never having an issue, if someone has a dinosaur of a PC then maybe this could be an issue but otherwise it should not affect anything other than allowing him to max out his connection speed.
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

Wowthatsslow this obviously sounds like a routing capacity issue from the symptoms described. Your cable company is going to take a different route to giganews than verizon. You need to provide giganews with appropriate traceroutes displaying where and when the slowdown is occurring so they can make the appropriate routing adjustments to get a better route for you during peak hours or look for another news provider or ISP if you don't want to deal with hassling giganews over the routing issues.

IMHO I'd never ditch an obvious far superior product in fios over a minor routing issue (That probably has nothing to do with Verizon in the first place)
Klownicle
join:2005-03-15
Sarasota, FL

1 edit

Klownicle to Wowthatsslow

to Wowthatsslow
I know its completely random to post that you have slow speeds. But I've had FiOS for maybe 3 years now. Its litterly been rock solid the whole trip. Untill recently, I upgraded to 75mbit, was getting great speeds. 80+. Just like always not even a hickup or a drop. I use my connection alot so i've come to notice when something is out of the norm. For the past 2 weeks now my normal speed test sites can't even come close to maxing my line, usually around 50-60mbit. My usenet won't max out anymore, hits maybe 70mbit and its not constant either.

I tested on the fios300 site and thats the only place I can get 80mbit+. So id have to deem it a routing issue. But seriously this sucks. I don't know if theres anything I could even do.

I've tried different usenet providers and it only seems to get worse. I'm currently using astraweb.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan to margaf

to margaf

said by margaf See Profile
Ive done it over and over never having an issue, if someone has a dinosaur of a PC then maybe this could be an issue but otherwise it should not affect anything other than allowing him to max out his connection speed.

Maxing your connections is a well know issue with usenet clients and services. The "connection wars" set new standards for stupidity with people trying to connect and run with 50 and 100 connections only find out they are having all sorts of issues. Just because you didn't have an issue doesn't make it not so. All you have to do read the forums on pretty much any provider to see the nightmare they created when then started offering 50 and 100 connections to people.
margaf
Las Vegas, NV

margaf

said by danclan:

said by margaf See Profile

Maxing your connections is a well know issue with usenet clients and services. The "connection wars" set new standards for stupidity with people trying to connect and run with 50 and 100 connections only find out they are having all sorts of issues. Just because you didn't have an issue doesn't make it not so. All you have to do read the forums on pretty much any provider to see the nightmare they created when then started offering 50 and 100 connections to people.

I am not the only one who has had no issues and seen improvements maxing connections and most people who have issues with maxing connections usually have older hardware, not always but most of the time.. Im not saying its a solution for every usenet slowdown but your snarky tone is unnecessary considering that its a successful fix for a good number of people.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

said by margaf:

I am not the only one who has had no issues and seen improvements maxing connections and most people who have issues with maxing connections usually have older hardware, not always but most of the time.. Im not saying its a solution for every usenet slowdown but your snarky tone is unnecessary considering that its a successful fix for a good number of people.

You are the exception. Max connection is the number one reason for issues with usenet period. It's never a successful fix, never. Just cause it works for a while doesn't mean it fixed anything, it just buried the issue and will cause other issues down the road. This is a fact I see it every day.

As a mod on a support channel for usenet software THE biggest issue is people maxing connections. It creates all sorts of issues there is no way to get around it. It impacts IO and network and local disc IO invariably ends up suffering. Reducing the number of connections by half usually resolves connectivity issue as well as clearing up IO issues. Since most usenet software is not multi-threaded, having all those cores and RAM means nothing. There are some programs that are MT and they do better but they then instantly are impacted by disc performance and having more connections only further impacts that to the point that errors and IO slow downs become even more noticeable.

Max connections is unnecessary in nearly every case. It makes for hard times on the provider as well as the user and creates avoidable problems. Finding the minimum number of connections to max your download speed will nearly always result in better, more stable downloads, better disc IO and better part unrar since disc is no longer bound up with connection IO.
Cablefish
join:2002-01-19
Toms River, NJ

Cablefish

Danclan, that was an interesting read. Although I don't have the speed issues as the original poster does, I will knock off my 8 connections and start at 2 to see what happens.
margaf
Las Vegas, NV

margaf to danclan

to danclan
It is a solution for some, its even recommended by some usenet providers as solution in some cases and while I see the issues it may cause, again on older systems for the most part and only if the number of connections offered is just a stupid amount (50+), but it can be and is a solution for some. So you can say it never is all you want and that will continue to be incorrect.

I will say In thinking about your position I see where it could come from if someone has a provider offering 50 or 100 connections but again that is an extreme. I think the dissonance here is in me thinking of 10-20 connections and you thinking of providers offering many more. In the end I agree with your recommendation of adding connections until you find the "sweet spot"
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to Wowthatsslow

to Wowthatsslow
I usually use at a minimum 20 connections or I won't see my whole 150mb/s used. 30 connections is even more stable with no spikes or drops but a nice straight plateau. Of course it helps to have a raid 0 with Western Digital 64MB cache 1TB Black drives but I have not seen any issues with many connections.

To OP's issue: I highly suggest you try downloading something from Steam or Origin that's several GB in size. Here are some screenshots from my experience:

Klownicle
join:2005-03-15
Sarasota, FL

Klownicle to Wowthatsslow

to Wowthatsslow
I can say my speed issues that started mid sept have now stopped and everything is back to normal. Rock Solid 10.00mb's.