dipswich
Premium
join:2003-06-27
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to GH4STLY

Re: [TWC] Virtually All TWC Customers Face $3.95 Modem Rental Fe

This policy is the proof that the rental fee is a cash grab. TWC is so bent up on collecting more money that they're defying logic.

I bet they didn't volunteer to install an additional outlet for you to plug something else into, either.

said by GH4STLY See ProfileHowever, if any form of data went through the modem being used for the telephone service, I would get a four dollar fee.
Second, if they are only concerned about data going in and out of the modem, I don't see how that is reason to charge a modem fee. What difference will there be if I buy my own?

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Dampier

The title to this post is wrong. All TWC Customer don't pay a modem rental fee as with EL since TWC still bills you and you don't go on EL site to check your account. I bought my own modem not knowing this. Still it is good I have a new one now and not the refurbished junk that they hand out to you.

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

1 recommendation

said by tonyram57:

The title to this post is wrong. All TWC Customer don't pay a modem rental fee as with EL since TWC still bills you and you don't go on EL site to check your account. I bought my own modem not knowing this. Still it is good I have a new one now and not the refurbished junk that they hand out to you.

Earthlink is not Time Warner Cable. It is a separate company that uses TWC as its billing agent.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

Earthlink is not Time Warner Cable. It is a separate company that uses TWC as its billing agent.

I know that but it seem weird that I have to call TW up for support and my bills I use autopay are all from TW.

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

said by tonyram57:

I know that but it seem weird that I have to call TW up for support and my bills I use autopay are all from TW.

Earthlink is supposed to handle support calls themselves, at least those not involving service calls, line problems, billing etc.

The Earthlink loophole is a great deal for those who loathe paying modem rental fees and want to wait six months for prices to moderate. We are already seeing that on the 6141 modem, which is as low as $86 (down from $99-150 last month).
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

Jawsinc
Jaws Incorporated

join:2011-01-12
Woodside, NY

$86? from where?

mind21_98

join:2006-05-13
San Diego, CA
reply to Dampier

FYI to everyone: make sure that when the TWC agent activates your modem, they activate it as a DOCSIS 3 modem (if it actually is one). I just activated my new modem today and, you guessed it, the agent marked my SB6141 as a DOCSIS 2 modem. This is something that evidently will need Tier 3/a trouble ticket to fix, since none of the people I talked to on the phone could fix it.

Until they do, I'm paying for Extreme and only getting Standard.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11

"This is something that evidently will need Tier 3/a trouble ticket to fix, since none of the people I talked to on the phone could fix it."

Unfortunate but true.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to Dampier

said by Dampier:

said by tonyram57:

Earthlink is supposed to handle support calls themselves, at least those not involving service calls, line problems, billing etc.

The Earthlink loophole is a great deal for those who loathe paying modem rental fees and want to wait six months for prices to moderate. We are already seeing that on the 6141 modem, which is as low as $86 (down from $99-150 last month).

I have EL and I still call TW for support, and the trucks still come from TW on Mt. Hope.

LadyL
Premium
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dampier

Just got my email from TWC for bill ending 12/15/2012...new HSI for me will have the 3.95 fee added=58.35...that includes the tax. Doesn't bother me at all...only have HSI with them...don't use my tv except to watch my dvds
--
Lonnie

CJ in LA

@rr.com
reply to Dampier

These assholes didn't even send me a "post card" nor it is stated on any of my last 3 bills, that I would be charged $3.95 modem lease. Especially on a POS modem like mine. There is a class action suit recently started in NY for their deceptive practices. I hope TWC gets raped in court!!!

RamsteinUSA

join:2007-02-15
Scio, OR
reply to mind21_98

how did you find out they marked it wrong.. I am suspicous of mine, because I have owned my own Docsis 3 a long time and my speeds went to crap about a year ago.. before then my speeds were much higher... it's as if they lowered my tier without my consent..

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

What model modem do you have and what tier of service ?

mind21_98

join:2006-05-13
San Diego, CA
reply to RamsteinUSA

said by RamsteinUSA:

how did you find out they marked it wrong.. I am suspicous of mine, because I have owned my own Docsis 3 a long time and my speeds went to crap about a year ago.. before then my speeds were much higher... it's as if they lowered my tier without my consent..

The guy on the phone told me. Also, the speeds got restored the next day, so it's all good now