share rss forum feed

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
kudos:1
reply to Happydude32

Re: [TWC] Virtually All TWC Customers Face $3.95 Modem Rental Fe

said by Happydude32:

Honestly, who cares about a modem rental fee when at the price you stated, with TW you can get twice the downstream, over twice the upstream, pay the modem lease fee and still be better off than this ‘mystery provider’. No matter how you attempt to spin it, that is simply not justifiable.

Agreed... so what if the modem rental fee went up by a dollar, consider this as part of the price package.

said by Happydude32:

As for the prices of DSL, sorry, I don’t keep up with outdated and obsolete technology. I don’t go online and look at what blank audio cassette tapes are selling for these days, and I definitely don’t look at what’s going on in the dead land of DSL.

LOL.

shawnunder7

join:2011-10-08
reply to dcurrey
RR Standard is $29.99. Cancelled my TV, and got Directv. My phone and internet comes out to 69.99 a month.

TWCBait

@rr.com
reply to bluepoint
Got 6141. Waited more then 2.5 hours (!) on phone to reach to tech support level 3 to connect it. Regular tech support was not able to activate it.

TWCBait

@rr.com
reply to shawnunder7
Does it work fast and fine during bad weather?

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to TWCBait
said by TWCBait :

Got 6141. Waited more then 2.5 hours (!) on phone to reach to tech support level 3 to connect it. Regular tech support was not able to activate it.

2.5 hours? Wow, it seems activating a cable modem seems a difficult process for basic support to do.

pc

@rr.com
reply to TWCBait
Where did you find the 6141? I can;t find it anywhere...

jeblis

join:2012-10-08
Austin, TX
said by pc :

Where did you find the 6141? I can;t find it anywhere...

It's pretty much sold out right now. There were 8 total on amazon last Thursday. Ebay has a few, but the price has spiked considerably. Best bet is to eat the $4 charge for a few weeks/months until the price drops to a reasonable amount.

TWCBait

@rr.com
reply to pc
It was ordered on Amazon at October 2nd or 3rd about $99 and $5 shipping. EBay’s profilers bough the stack and now it is double price $200 on EBay. May be in couple of moths the price come back lower due to demands but nobody knows.

TWCBait

@rr.com
reply to antdude
Found I was lucky to have it activated. Other people were denied the same day and connected only today with 20 minutes non avoidable waiting per every call.

TWCBait

@rr.com
reply to jeblis
+1

TWCBait

@rr.com
reply to antdude
And 1 hour 40 minutes to return their old modem in Queens mall TWC shop to be sure to avoid the charge.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
reply to Dampier
Not me.

I made sure to BUY my own modem that was/is on the approved list.
The second I get a fee for it, Phone call, and proof I own the damn thing.

pc

@rr.com
reply to jeblis
Thx: I got lucky. Amazon showed none and then one popped up outta nowhere...I managed to order it for $130: high, but compared to what I see on eBay, not that high.

Thx again.

txfeinbergs

join:2009-03-10
Allen, TX
The Dallas area is currently not getting the modem lease fee. I cancelled my order for a SB6141 on Amazon. Maybe that is the one that freed up

Gemutlich

join:2012-06-14
I'm paying $2/month in the DFW TX area.

Steven94

join:2011-08-07
Jackson Heights, NY
reply to Dampier
I've owned my own modem (Motorola SB6120) from back when there were no rental fees yet I was charged the modem rental fee. Would it be possible to get the charge removed while using my current modem or will I have to purchase a new modem?

txfeinbergs

join:2009-03-10
Allen, TX
reply to Gemutlich
I am guessing you are not on the 30/5 tier or higher then since I don't think they charge at those tiers.

evilt00l

join:2003-03-20
Winchester, KY
kudos:1
reply to Dampier
This is complete BS, and not just the new modem fees (going from $0.00 to $3.95 starting next month in central KY), but the fact that their prices are so high to start with. I have only internet with them and I contacted them about adding TV services, I'm paying roughly $64/m for Turbo (15mb). They offered me the same speed package I have now AND basic TV (like 14 local channels) for roughly $50/m. So if I keep the 1 service I have I have to pay almost $15 more per month then it would cost them to give me 2 services. Its complete crap!

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY
reply to txfeinbergs
said by txfeinbergs:

The Dallas area is currently not getting the modem lease fee. I cancelled my order for a SB6141 on Amazon. Maybe that is the one that freed up

Texas and other southern region systems are supposed to be next, probably in December. Ignore the CSRs, they have no clue what is going on until the memo arrives.

txanon

@rr.com
my last payment was due oct 15 and the service period says 10/5 to 11/04

it said on the bill that they will start charging me a lease fee of $3.95 starting the next bill

i already activated my own modem yesterday and returned my old modem today..

will i be charged $3.95 on the next bill?

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY
said by txanon :

my last payment was due oct 15 and the service period says 10/5 to 11/04

it said on the bill that they will start charging me a lease fee of $3.95 starting the next bill

i already activated my own modem yesterday and returned my old modem today..

will i be charged $3.95 on the next bill?

Probably not. Otherwise they would have charged you even before they notified you there would be a charge.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY
reply to Dampier
Anybody know if it is possible to get away with having a compatible, but not-approved modem activated by TW?

said by kontos:

Anybody know if it is possible to get away with having a compatible, but not-approved modem activated by TW?

you can always try

when i activated my sb5101, the tech asked me what my modem model was and if it was docsis 2.0 or 3.0

so you can try lying, but at least have the same docsis version

Elyria

join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH

Might be worth a shot, giving them a legit model number with the
non-legit MAC-ID and see what happens once they hit the modem
with the provisioning code.

Have no idea if they can "see" an actual model number.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17

1 edit
Click for full size
said by Elyria:

Yes they can see the actual make and model number, along with serial number and the exact version of firmware on the modem among other things.

It's all part of the DOCSIS spec and is done through SNMP. Look at the SP-OSSI documents:
»www.cablelabs.com/cablemodem/spe···s30.html
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Elyria

join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH
Very well Drew. Guess there's not much getting away with hardware.
Limited choices to own, but can cetainly understand the providors
position. Can only imagine the headaches trying to trouble shoot some
micky-fied model 388 super watchacallit.

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY
reply to DrDrew
said by DrDrew:

said by Elyria:

Yes they can see the actual make and model number, along with serial number and the exact version of firmware on the modem among other things.

Oh, I never thought for a second that they couldn't see details on the modem when it was in use. It was more of a question of does their system bother to check when the modem is activated by customer service.

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2
reply to Dampier
Got the post card yesterday about the upcoming modem lease fee . Thinking about how I want to deal wth it - right now I'm leaning towards getting a used 5101 that will ROI in 6 months (I'm on 10/1 service).

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to hottboiinnc
said by hottboiinnc:

And with any 3rd provider costs are normally higher than with the actual last mile owner.- look at the cost of DSL.

Indeed, do! I pay $19.97 for the DSL portion of my phone bill.

$20 for 15M ADSL2+ beats the snot out of $65 for 15M DOCSIS. Why would I pay an extra $45 to double my upload speed?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

As for the prices of DSL, sorry, I don’t keep up with outdated and obsolete technology. I don’t go online and look at what blank audio cassette tapes are selling for these days, and I definitely don’t look at what’s going on in the dead land of DSL.

Fair enough. But some people still prefer sail over power, some people still prefer archery over firearms, and some people would rather pay under $20 for outdated and obsolete tech; and apply the difference (can be as much as $25 a month in Comcastland!) to other, more pleasurable, things.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum