Search similar:

uniqs
jh2010
join:2009-09-03
Brooklyn, NY

jh2010 to Dampier

to Dampier

Re: [TWC] Virtually All TWC Customers Face $3.95 Modem Rental Fe

I got my SB6141 from Amazon in June for $95.
I now see the price as $130 like the others.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to Dampier

to Dampier
said by Dampier:

said by fartness:

I can get a 6141 for $79.99 on Amazon, is this a good deal?

I have EL 10/1 for ~$42 so hopefully the price stays the same and they don't charge me for a modem.

Yes, buy it immediately. I paid $100. Just make sure it is not the 6121, which was running around that $80 price.

Ah, you're right, it is the 6121. I'll wait and see if they charge me or not since I'm EL.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 edit

NormanS to Happydude32

MVM

to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

Actually its completely relevant. I’m an electronics geek and live for technology.

My condolences. I use technology, but I don't live for it. I have better things to do with my money.

Which reminds me; it is time to pick up 's PIECES2, which, oddly enough, costs the same as the difference between what I'd pay for "blazing fast" cable Internet from Comcast, and what I currently pay for my "tortoise slow" DSL from Sonic.net, LLC.
Dampier
Phillip M Dampier
join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

Dampier to fartness

to fartness
said by fartness:

said by Dampier:

said by fartness:

I can get a 6141 for $79.99 on Amazon, is this a good deal?

I have EL 10/1 for ~$42 so hopefully the price stays the same and they don't charge me for a modem.

Yes, buy it immediately. I paid $100. Just make sure it is not the 6121, which was running around that $80 price.

Ah, you're right, it is the 6121. I'll wait and see if they charge me or not since I'm EL.

A lot of people made that mistake, and I'm not sure why.

I am glad I saved you from going that route in error.
Azrail
join:2011-07-14
Woodside, NY

Azrail to Dampier

to Dampier
I may say goodbye to TWC,too.
Experiencing packet loss and high latency more than 150days in this year, they always said that's my router/computer/network cable problem when I called Customer service.
How does it possible my router/computer/network cable have problem every 4pm~9pm, and no problem in other time?
If I but my own Modem, they will have one more option - that's your modem problem!
Anyway, just going to say, "goodbye TWC..."
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

to Dampier
When I typed in the 6141 model number, all of them came up. 6141 was 1st result, 6121 was 2nd result, and much cheaper.

jig
join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA

jig to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

Slingbox is better btw.

Hob

you'd think that TW would just offer something similar to their users - built into the set top box if necessary, or just through a web connection tied to user MACs and an account password.

i'm sure there are contract issues, but i bet a license through sling would sort things out.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to Dampier

Premium Member

to Dampier

Best Buy

»Best Buy Tells Time Warner Customers to Ditch VoIP

Lowtarget
Premium Member
join:2003-12-22
Alger, OH

1 edit

Lowtarget to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32

Re: [TWC] Virtually All TWC Customers Face $3.95 Modem Rental Fe

We been with TWC for a very long time. If they try to pull the $3.95 Modem Rental Fee on us. I'll be right on the phone in a single heart beat.

When we called about the 30/5 extreme broadband when it first came out. They had to send out a truck in order to change out the modem. Which you normally had to pay a small fee for them rolling out the truck to install the new modem.

But since we had service with TWC for all these years. They waived the fee for them coming and installing new modem. So they better waive the modem fee for us too.

Cause I will drop them like a hot potato without thinking twice. They are not the only fish in the pond here. We been here for 25+ years long be for even broadband was available here.
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS

scooper to Dampier

to Dampier
Ordered Sb5101U from Amazon last night (I'm on 10/1 service, don't expect to change for quite a while).
Fleeced
join:2012-10-06

1 recommendation

Fleeced to Lowtarget

to Lowtarget
They won't waive the fee unless you get your own modem. Most other carriers charge a similar fee either way.

Jawsinc
Jaws Incorporated
join:2011-01-12
Woodside, NY

Jawsinc to Dampier

to Dampier
$4/mo is a little high i would say. $1.95 seems more reasonable considering they prob get those modems for 5 bucks a pop when they buy 100,000.

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57

Comcast charges $7 but I think that TWC will eventually raise it to that price to in a year.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

to Dampier
I didn't notice anything on my bill for EL yet.
giffnyc
join:2004-06-24
Gardiner, NY

giffnyc to Dampier

to Dampier
In NYC.

I have Docsis 2.0 level service in my NYC apartment. Currently have the RCA 425 modem.

Has anyone tried activating a purchased 425? It's not on the approved list, but they are readily available from ebay for 20 bucks. It seems silly to pay 4/month for something that costs 20.

I'm concerned I'll get a runaround if I buy one - "It's not on the list, sir, even though we have deployed thousands of them."

I understand Docsis 3 is a bit future proof, but this is not my main Internet source - the basic service is the right one for this location and I'm fine with Docsis 2.0. Will I get shut down if I buy my own 425?

Thanks!

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221

I canceled my D3 service, waited a month, got the 3 meg basic service and the contractor that came in looked at my SBG900 and said he'd call in the MAC. After 15 minutes I was live. AIM and bittorrent don't work - but for 19.99 its great and I can VPN in to work and any files I need I can usually get over FTP.

Perhaps they used the file for the 901 and the 900 is close enough...who knows?
mathfaster
join:2005-09-23
Upland, CA

mathfaster to giffnyc

to giffnyc
said by giffnyc:

In NYC. Will I get shut down if I buy my own 425?

I thought I read a post in one of the new fee or approved modem threads that said that IF you can get to a Level 3 tech they will provision a user owned modem that is the same model as your currently leased modem. Cannot find that post at the moment.

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57 to giffnyc

to giffnyc
said by giffnyc:

In NYC.

I have Docsis 2.0 level service in my NYC apartment. Currently have the RCA 425 modem.

Has anyone tried activating a purchased 425? It's not on the approved list, but they are readily available from ebay for 20 bucks. It seems silly to pay 4/month for something that costs 20.

I'm concerned I'll get a runaround if I buy one - "It's not on the list, sir, even though we have deployed thousands of them."

I understand Docsis 3 is a bit future proof, but this is not my main Internet source - the basic service is the right one for this location and I'm fine with Docsis 2.0. Will I get shut down if I buy my own 425?

Thanks!

You are better off getting the SB5101 modem. Ebay has them for around $20 to $30 used but I don't trust things used especially cable modems so I got mine new on Newegg when they had them in stock and paid $52 to avoid the tax. Newegg had them for $55 but they are not in stock anymore. They should get them soon. If you don't want to wait Amazon has them new for $50 but if you live in New York you pay tax on Amazon but it still might be cheaper with the tax then from Newegg without the tax.
Fleeced

Fleeced to mathfaster

to mathfaster
TWC will provision any modem they currently lease in the field as well as what is on the approved list.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

said by Fleeced:

TWC will provision any modem they currently lease in the field as well as what is on the approved list.

Just wondering if there's any documentation or authoritative source to confirm that. Not mentioning or discussing the reasoning behind the list omissions just leads to conspiracy theories about boosting Motorola stock prices and so on. For example they've got thousands of DPC2100r2 modems on lease but that model is no longer on the list for purchase.
NGOwner
join:2000-11-21
Leawood, KS

NGOwner to giffnyc

to giffnyc
From another thread here:
said by NGOwner:

Earlier this week I replaced my loaned modem with a bought modem.

An Ambit U10C018. It was the same model modem TWC was loaning me. A plain jane DOCSIS 2.0 modem. $16 delivered off eBay. No problem adding it to my account here in KC.

According to speed tests, I'm running 20/1 speeds right now.

Seems like a real easy way to avoid TWC's money grab if you're on a "lower speed" Internet tier.

[NG]Owner

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew to ArgMeMatey

Premium Member

to ArgMeMatey
said by ArgMeMatey:

Not mentioning or discussing the reasoning behind the list omissions just leads to conspiracy theories about boosting Motorola stock prices and so on. For example they've got thousands of DPC2100r2 modems on lease but that model is no longer on the list for purchase.

The modems on the list are what can be bought on the retail market. Very few modem makers actually sell their modems new at a store. Motorola, Zoom, and Netgear are the big 3 retail modem offerings, that's what is on the list.

Linksys, Belkin, D-link, and a couple of others come and go with their retail modems. They'll release a modem and seemingly abandon support for it shortly after, if it has problems.

Cisco, Scientific Atlanta, RCA, Ubee, Ambit, etc. never sold their modems retail. They're only available grey market or 2nd hand.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

What is the "lite" plan? We have basic, standard, grandfathered turbo, turbo, extreme and ultimate.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

Lite plan is available in some areas. It's usually 1 mbps or less download and about 1/2 that on upload.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I bet we have it but it is not advertised. You have to ask for something below basic (3/384).

Woops
@rr.com

Woops

Anon

I have an old RCA DCM425 getting about 20 down and 1 up - paying 45.95/mo - if I upgrade the modem, will a lower throttle kick in? I think I have Turbo, but I've had it for so long, I don't know. At 4/mo, I'd take a 6141 from TWC -
Fleeced

Fleeced to Dampier

to Dampier
20/1 sounds like standard with the "power boost". So you'd lose the 20 down IF you got a D3 router. I would verify what your speeds are either way, if it is a powerboost you really wont' notice much of a difference as it's only for a few seconds of a large download anyways.
mathfaster
join:2005-09-23
Upland, CA

mathfaster to Woops

to Woops
said by Woops :

I have an old RCA DCM425 getting about 20 down and 1 up - paying 45.95/mo - if I upgrade the modem, will a lower throttle kick in? I think I have Turbo, but I've had it for so long, I don't know. At 4/mo, I'd take a 6141 from TWC -

Check your TWC invoices. Mine have the plan level I am paying for. No need to guess what level you are on if specified on your invoice.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to ArgMeMatey

to ArgMeMatey
I can attest L3 will activate a SBG900, which is not on the list but used to be in the system so they have config files for it. The SGB901 is on the list. The SBG900 sucks as a router I bridge mine to a real router.
GH4STLY
join:2012-11-03
Apex, NC

GH4STLY to Dampier

to Dampier
Here is my issue. I just got off the phone with them.

My parents have a bundled plan, so they have Turbo Internet, TV, and Phone.

None of these "supported modems" have any form of telephony/VoIP support that TWC provides. So I called them tonight, and asked them about it.

He responded that I could buy modem, keep my old modem specifically for the use of the telephone system. This way I wouldn't be charged. However, if any form of data went through the modem being used for the telephone service, I would get a four dollar fee.

Well, data would have to go through the modem at some point, because I am assuming the encapsulate everything over an IP Network when they do this stuff (haven;t really dived into how their phone service operates). Second, if they are only concerned about data going in and out of the modem, I don't see how that is reason to charge a modem fee. What difference will there be if I buy my own?

Really, if this is there way of eventually improving speeds, it sucks. I am sure they could find a way to improve data speeds for communities on the whole if they re-worked where and what their money was going in to.

I asked him what if I went for a sbv6220, would I be fine. They said that it wouldn't work (if it actually DOES work or not is a different story). I don't really see a reason why it wouldn't. Assuming that they are using standards, it shouldn't have any issue to connect with the telephone systems they put in place. I mean, I am not really mad at them, but I am a bit disappointed.