join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to aurgathor

Re: Hardware BSOD

Same result. Did get it to boot by removing all of the components and putting them back in, but I did get it to boot once yesterday and worked for several hours. Now I can't get it to boot again, but I did see the BSOD error that showed up, nkvd.sys (cold war humor), I mean nvdkm.sys. I updated the driver the other day to 305.XX, but it's not like I can roll it back, there is no way to. Is it a dying video card perhaps?

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

I found that if I add a DVI cable to the same monitor(with the DP cable still connected!!) the machine boots just fine, up till the login screen where I need to change to DP which is set to primary. I also don't get the BSOD. Is it an issue with Displayport?

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1

Could be. I'd put in a completely different display adapter.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA

I don't have an extra graphics card at the moment otherwise I would. The issue is I'm wondering if it is the card (issues with DP) or the cable (voltage on Pin 20), but I have no way to test either.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1

Any respectable computer geek should have spare parts.

Not to take it as bragging, but I think I have over a dozen spare video cards of various vintages. Probably not much use for a monochrome hercules, but I have about 3 - 4 extra PCI-e cards, and at least 5 - 6 PCI cards.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA

I do have parts, just not at this location, and not with a displayport connector.