share rss forum feed

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to silbaco

Re: Actually, I have to agree with Time Warner and At&t for once

said by silbaco:

Which would be extremely expensive. I am all for building new fiber networks, but the fact remains that it is expensive. It is a serious investment for something that at this point we do not need. I congratulate the companies that do it. But I also understand why a lot of companies do not do it.

So, according to you, we'll *NEVER* need the Telco's to do a serious investment. All we need is a copper pair for the next decade or two because, after all, who will need >10mbps?

You, sir, need to get with the times. The telcos need to replace the copper lines with fiber. The reason they don't is.. why should they when they can brainwash everyone into thinking that the speeds they have is perfect.

The truth is, services are utilizing more bandwidth. We've been using copper for over a freaking century and has been showing its age for a decade. We need to ditch it now before it becomes useless or "soldered and duct-taped" to death.

..and the cost? How much did it cost to wire the entire country half a century ago? I guess they "thought" that unshielded copper could do everything and they'd never have to invest in infrastructure again. Maybe they should have verified their findings before coming to that conclusion.

The fact is, if they would invest, they wouldn't have to upgrade for quite sometime. Fiber has almost unlimited bandwidth, so all you have to do is change the GBICs on each end to upgrade to faster speeds. Just lay the fiber lines and yank the copper. They'd get a decent return recycling the old copper lines and could possibly come out ahead.
--
Bresnan 30M/5M | CenturyLink 5M/896K
MyWS[PnmIIX3@3.2G,8G RAM,500G+1.5T+2T HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1G,2G RAM,18G HDD,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,2xDigital DE504,Sun X1034A,2xSun X4444A,SMC 8432BTA,Gentoo]

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
I didn't say never. There is a time to upgrade and there is a time to wait. At&t actually has ftth u-verse in new construction. But the difference to the consumer is unnoticeable.

Was not long ago everyone was saying deploy new wireless networks. Sprint did just that. And now they are decommissioning it after wasting billions. They jumped the gun too quickly and have wasted tons of money that someone has to pay for. When the time is right for a company to deploy ftth, they will. For some small companies, that time is now. For larger companies that can deploy VDSL or other fast technologies and have the overwhelming majority of their subscribers be happy, that time might be a few years from now. At that time fiber will be even cheaper and more logical.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
said by silbaco:

I didn't say never. There is a time to upgrade and there is a time to wait. At&t actually has ftth u-verse in new construction. But the difference to the consumer is unnoticeable.

Um.. I could prove you wrong there along with quite a few people with U-Verse. Trying to shove VDSL through aging unshielded copper is asking for trouble. Especially when the copper isn't that good to begin with.
said by silbaco:

Was not long ago everyone was saying deploy new wireless networks. Sprint did just that. And now they are decommissioning it after wasting billions. They jumped the gun too quickly and have wasted tons of money that someone has to pay for.

Which network are you talking about? If it's wireless technologies, don't even bother. There's only so much you can do with the slice of spectrum you have. Wireless and Fiber is like comparing night and day. Actually, the better comparison would be comparing Wireless and DSL. Both only have so much bandwidth they can handle.
said by silbaco:

When the time is right for a company to deploy ftth, they will. For some small companies, that time is now. For larger companies that can deploy VDSL or other fast technologies and have the overwhelming majority of their subscribers be happy, that time might be a few years from now. At that time fiber will be even cheaper and more logical.

So, your solution is to wait until someone else does? According to your theory, it'd never happen.

Plus, why deploy fiber when we can waste money on newer technologies that shove the same signal down the same crappy copper lines? Basically, they're putting a "Band-aid" on a spurting wound. Sure, it'll work.. But for how long?

The real fix for this issue is to deploy fiber and recycle the copper.
--
Bresnan 30M/5M | CenturyLink 5M/896K
MyWS[PnmIIX3@3.2G,8G RAM,500G+1.5T+2T HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1G,2G RAM,18G HDD,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,2xDigital DE504,Sun X1034A,2xSun X4444A,SMC 8432BTA,Gentoo]