Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to pende_tim

Re: New Nest Thermostat- 2 stage

How does it determine if people are home? I only ask this because I know that it has a motion sensor but a majority of thermostats are located in hallways and cannot see the normally occupied rooms, In fact many homes they are located in the hallway for the bedrooms meaning it might not see motion for a good chunk of a day.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by Kearnstd:

How does it determine if people are home? I only ask this because I know that it has a motion sensor but a majority of thermostats are located in hallways and cannot see the normally occupied rooms, In fact many homes they are located in the hallway for the bedrooms meaning it might not see motion for a good chunk of a day.

It essentially has a motion detector, but you can also override it.

The technique is that you teach it over some time and it memorizes and analyzes your patterns.

Also, you can program it remotely over the web.

voiplover
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Portsmouth, NH

1 recommendation

Sorry. This just reminds me of when occupancy sensors were made to solve the energy crisis. Some genius put on in the bathroom to a 2 million dollar home to eliminate the need of touching a possibly contaminated light switch.
Of course it was the owner's wife that found the major flaw when the lights when out prior to her knowing how to use the TP dispenser.