how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

r36

join:2012-10-02
Mississauga, ON

DSL or Cable in my area?

I am currently on Bell Fibe 12 with an average monthly usage of 40GB on my 50GB plan.

I am looking to change over to Teksavvy within this week.

I live in Mississauga (Creditview/Britannia) area and was wondering what would be the best service for me.

I am looking for a new Teksavvy 6MBPS only as we usually browse the web and do minimal downloading.

I am looking to get either DSL6 or Cable6 (300GB)

Anyone in this area have Cable 6 and can tell me how the slow-downs during high traffic times of the day can affect the cable speed? What kind of slow speeds can I expect?

Also If I go with the DSL option, I understand Bell provides the 6MBPS DSL line but it's not a FIBE line. Any slow-downs expected?

Also what's the disadvantage of both and what's the advantage?

Appreciate any advise please.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
With Cable, you will get the 6mbps you pay for. Slowdowns sometimes happen but it usually affects the highest speed tiers, not 6meg...

With DSL, if you go for the 6meg legacy DSL, you're not guaranteed to be on the remote that is closer to your house, and Bell might connect you to a central office or a remote farther away, leading to slower speeds and instability. Also even with the perfect line setup, you will never reach 6mbps on DSL, because Bell sets the sync rate at 6mbps, and there is quite a bit of overhead, so you end up with about 5.1mbps, unless you get lucky and they set the sync rate at 7mbps.

Advantage there goes to Cable. However you have to purchase a more expensive modem, as DSL modems are cheap, as little as $25. I don't remember the activation fees for each, but legacy DSL is a little cheaper I think...
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to r36
My advice is to go with Cable internet. It doesn't suffer from line issues that often plague DSL at higher speeds (or even at lower speeds). Stays working in the rain, etc.. And the advertised speed is the REAL speed you get, unlike with DSL's "up to some theoretical amount if you live inside our switching centre".

-ml

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
said by mlord:

...Stays working in the rain

hmm...
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet