silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to Skippy25

Premium Member

to Skippy25

Re: deal or no deal?

Google doesn't even know if it will be profitable. They hope it will. Everyone hopes to be profitable. But will they ever earn a serious return on their investment? Seems extremely unlikely.

If non-profit muni's can't offer even close to gigabit speeds and even break even at the prices google is planning, what makes you think it is so profitable?
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Maybe you should look into how the network is being built before you come here babbling. You would look less silly then.

One other thing... being you are so network knowledgeable I am sure I am not telling you anything you dont know, but you do realize that providing 1mb or 1gb over current infrastructure has a very marginal cost, right? So if the muni's were built out with that infrastructure support they would provide it at a cost that is marginally greater than 100mb.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Really? Because you are such an expert on the network google is building. Why don't you just explain it to me since I clearly don't know.

Marginal? That's not the word I would use for it. Considering "current" infrastructure as you said is incapable of providing gigabit. You have to design the whole network from the ground up to prevent bottlenecks. Most of the hardware they are deploying is not capable of those speeds. And you seem to be forgetting about costs of the upstream provider. You think they will sell muni's massive pipes for pennies? I already know that's not the case.