join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

1 edit

SimbaSeven to silbaco

to silbaco

Re: Actually, I have to agree with Time Warner and At&t for once

said by silbaco:

Considering networks is what I do (no I do not work for an ISP) it seems you are probably arguing with someone who knows MORE about networks than you.

I'd like to challenge you on that.
said by silbaco:

The fact that you want me to prove that our economy needs internet access because every single business relies on it in one form or another means you truly have no idea what you are talking about.

No. The Internet is extremely vital. It's as vital as having a home phone or the Interstate/Highway system.
said by silbaco:

Deploying something 15 years early in something as fast paced and ever changing as networking is stupid. It costs several times more and after 15 years, needs to be overhauled again. More than once. And in At&t's case, while maintaining their old copper lines because the FCC says they have to. If At&t deployed fiber to the home 15 years ago, that would have been stupid for business.

I call bullsh*t on this one. The standards have been set and are still in use to this day. Fiber has been around and you can shove any transport stream through it, either it be Ethernet, ATM, or SONET. It can also support future technologies. Let's see you shove that though a single pair of copper. If you want faster speeds with fiber, just change the GBIC.
said by silbaco:

Why are businesses still deploying 5E and cat 6 cable instead of fiber? Clearly fiber networks are superior right? Hmm. I know a large place that did deploy fiber to computers. They even had fiber NICs. Guess what happened? 3 years later they deployed cat 5E and 6 throughout the entire building and regretted putting in fiber. It was costly, far more expensive to maintain, and now all the equipment would actually be slower than the copper cat 6 network. What a shame.

Wow. I know of a few areas where they would prove you wrong.

Maintenance? No maintenance needed if you left the fiber itself alone. You can shove 10GigE through fiber. Heck, you can shove 40GigE and 100GigE through fiber. Can you do that with Cat6? Nope. Well, you could, but you'd have a large amount of dropped packets due to signal issues.

As for the "deploying CAT5e and 6" part, ya.. it's cheaper and easier to work with.. But there is so much you can shove through it. If you need bandwidth, you need fiber. If you already have a fiber infrastructure, you could send 10GigE to each workstation. The initial cost of the switch would be high, but if you get a good switch and not a cheap POS, it'll last for decades. As for equipment failure, buy cheap equipment.. expect sh*tty results. Next time, buy Cisco or Juniper. DO NOT GO CHEAP ON YOUR CORE NETWORK.
said by silbaco:

I am arguing this because it is funny to watch you make things up.

Ya. Funny that we didn't make this crap up.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

I didn't say you were making crap up. You are not the one I was replying to. And challenge me all you like. Not going to change anything.

I know the internet is vital. Hence is why I was arguing that it was. Skippy is the one who said it wasn't when he told me to "Proof it!" :S

The cable can support future technologies. That doesn't mean the hardware can. Obviously the fiber cable is future proof (although now we are already talking about have nanotube fiber in the future). But that doesn't make it a good business decision for At&t 15 years ago. They would still have to operate their copper network. Operating 2 networks for 15 years would have been extremely uneconomical, regardless of how future proof fiber is. Waiting a while longer makes deployment not only cheaper, but saves over having to maintain 2 networks as required by the FCC.

I didn't buy the equipment, and to be honest, I am not positive on what brand it was. But I am positive that it was not cheap nor shitty equipment. Hence is why they switched to copper. This wasn't done yesterday. It as done quite a while ago actually, back when fiber in the business didn't make sense for many reasons including reliability. But they did it anyway, because it was supposed to be future proof. Technically it is still there and they could still use it. But they won't for some time.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

What about all that dark fiber laying around the country that WAS laid 15 years ago... Heard of Wiltel? Paying pretty well now! Companies need to think LONG term as well as short term.