Black20VT
join:2003-05-30
UK

Black20VT to OZO

to OZO

Re: [Free] Syncing Software

said by OZO:

Try FreeFileSync.

I'm using FreeFileSync at the moment, but as far as I'm aware, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't sync as soon as a file changes, only on a set schedule?

Also, can it work when not on the LAN?
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

OZO

Premium Member

said by Black20VT:

said by OZO:

Try FreeFileSync.

I'm using FreeFileSync at the moment, but as far as I'm aware, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't sync as soon as a file changes, only on a set schedule?

There is RealtimeSync component coming with it:
RealtimeSync is a small tool which executes a command line each time it detects changes in one of the monitored directories or a directory becomes available (e. g. insert of a USB-stick). Usually this command line will simply trigger a FreeFileSync batch job.
I don't use it though, I use sync on demand manually to see what was actually changed...

You lost me here. If it's not on a LAN, where is it. If it's connected to the internet and is able to open a host via system means - you can sync files between your computer and that host. There is also FTP support for other cases too...

Black20VT
UK

Black20VT

said by OZO:

said by Black20VT:

said by OZO:

Try FreeFileSync.

There is RealtimeSync component coming with it:
RealtimeSync is a small tool which executes a command line each time it detects changes in one of the monitored directories or a directory becomes available (e. g. insert of a USB-stick). Usually this command line will simply trigger a FreeFileSync batch job.
I don't use it though, I use sync on demand manually to see what was actually changed...

Hmm, I'll have to see how this works too, as this could work for me.
said by OZO:

You lost me here. If it's not on a LAN, where is it. If it's connected to the internet and is able to open a host via system means - you can sync files between your computer and that host. There is also FTP support for other cases too...

Being a laptop, it's often off site with me whilst I work. However, the server remains at home, where I'd like to be able to sync (probably manually) from my laptop away with me, to my server at home.

Does that make sense?
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

Yes, it does. At your home you have to run VPN to get connection to your local server from any location on the Internet. I'd recommend to look at OpenVPN project.

Black20VT
UK

1 recommendation

Black20VT

Well, I've FreeFileSync working perfectly with RealTimeSync.

Thanks for the pointers, totally forgot about the RTS option.

Just need to test off site now...
OZO
Premium Member

1 recommendation

OZO

Premium Member

Thank you for feedback.

Black20VT
UK

Black20VT

Apologies for opening this topic again, but the RTS option on FFS just doesn't seem to be working for me anymore and I've no idea why.

So I'm back to the drawing board looking for an alternative.

So can anyone recommend anything else?