spc
Search similar:

uniqs

CliqueofOne
join:2003-08-22
Brantford, ON

CliqueofOne

Corning POTS Splitter To ST546V6 Modem

Whats the correct way to connect a Corning ADSL/VDSL POTS Splitter to a Speedtouch 546V6?

The reason I'm asking is because the splitter uses a DSL modem jack for the 'DSL Modem' output and the 546 only has a phone jack for the input.

I've already preformed a cursory search for a wiring diagram for that particular splitter to that particular DEL modem with no results.

Would it be okay to come off the splitter using the phone jack to the modem?

Would it be okay to use the DSL output on the splitter and enter the modem using one of the DSL outputs?
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7

I think you can put a RJ11 in the RJ45 connector without any problem.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to CliqueofOne

to CliqueofOne
The line-1 pair on RJ11 corresponds to the center/blue pair on RJ45.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato to CliqueofOne

to CliqueofOne
ignore the Labels Clique, Plug the DSL modem Into the Dsl Modem Jack from the Phone jack on it.

The DSL Modem jack is filtered is why it is labelled as such and the Bottom is labelled as Phone, While the top is the Raw Unfiltered Line.
kovy7

kovy7

said by morisato:

ignore the Labels Clique, Plug the DSL modem Into the Dsl Modem Jack from the Phone jack on it.

The DSL Modem jack is filtered is why it is labelled as such and the Bottom is labelled as Phone, While the top is the Raw Unfiltered Line.

Makes no sense... if the modem jack was filtred, internet wouldn't work.

»csmedia.corning.com/Cabl ··· zoom.jpg

Both sides work the same... Phone jack should be filtered.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by kovy7:

Voice is filtered from the DSL jack on a POTS splitter, not the DSL signal. Likewise, the DSL signal is filtered from the phone port, but not voice. Both ports are filtered, just different ways - this is why they call it a POTS splitter. If you hook up a telephone to the DSL port it will not work for voice in any way, shape or form.
kovy7

kovy7

said by Gone:

said by kovy7:

Voice is filtered from the DSL jack on a POTS splitter, not the DSL signal. Likewise, the DSL signal is filtered from the phone port, but not voice. Both ports are filtered, just different ways - this is why they call it a POTS splitter. If you hook up a telephone to the DSL port it will not work for voice in any way, shape or form.

I'd love to try that one, see if a phone works in the modem jack. But this would make sense.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by kovy7:

I'd love to try that one, see if a phone works in the modem jack. But this would make sense.

I did it out of curiosity when I was making some changes in the wiring closet at my store. It doesn't work. It is a splitter is the truest sense of the word.
kovy7

kovy7

said by Gone:

said by kovy7:

I did it out of curiosity when I was making some changes in the wiring closet at my store. It doesn't work. It is a splitter is the truest sense of the word.

It's not just a splitter... it's obviously a filter. Splitter don't come filtered in most case. Hence why people used them for fax and phones.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by kovy7:

It's not just a splitter... it's obviously a filter. Splitter don't come filtered in most case. Hence why people used them for fax and phones.

I think everyone here knows what a two-way splitter does, but we're talking about POTS splitters - they split the POTS line into separate and dedicated DSL and voice (and fax and whatever else that runs over the voice network) lines that can't be used for anything else but that.
kovy7

kovy7

said by Gone:

said by kovy7:

I think everyone here knows what a two-way splitter does, but we're talking about POTS splitters - they split the POTS line into separate and dedicated DSL and voice (and fax and whatever else that runs over the voice network) lines that can't be used for anything else but that.

Plain old telephone service ... it doesn't say much.

A splitter simply splits the wire in two direction... Obviously this splitter is for DSL and phone service to work without any issues.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by kovy7:

Plain old telephone service POTS... it doesn't say much.

Now that you know what a POTS splitter does and that it isn't merely the same thing as putting a microfilter between a line from the demarc and your DSL modem, why do you need to care what POTS means? Would you prefer it be called a PSTN/DSL isolator or something instead?
kovy7

1 edit

kovy7

said by Gone:

said by kovy7:

Plain old telephone service POTS... it doesn't say much.

Now that you know what a POTS splitter does and that it isn't merely the same thing as putting a microfilter between a line from the demarc and your DSL modem, why do you need to care what POTS means? Would you prefer it be called a PSTN/DSL isolator or something instead?

No I don't care... but to say it's a pure splitter would be wrong, IMO.

But thanks for letting me know both are filtered for their dedicated purposes. I never really had the chance to play with one, since I have a dry loop.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Thanks gone for clarifying p:) its a hpf/lpf filter if u wanted to label it rofl it would be raw then HPF,LPF
Raw signal
Highpass filter
Lowpass Filter

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Hah, true enough.