uniqs
share rss forum feed

chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan
reply to mike1965

Re: latest Frontier failure

said by mike1965:

I agree with all of you......yahoo is the most unsecure e-mail ever.....on top of that my e-mail is currently down

all email services are unsecure. you're naive if you think otherwise.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

2 edits
said by chances14:

said by mike1965:

I agree with all of you......yahoo is the most unsecure e-mail ever.....on top of that my e-mail is currently down

This. The reason Yahoo! accounts tend to get hacked often is due to how high profile they are (They are 18? years old). The same stuff happens with Live (now Outlook) and Google as well. Oh, and they, just like Yahoo! tailor ads towards you as well through the Google Advertising network or the Yahoo! Bing Advertising network.

If you want some security and less folks stomping on what's in your inbox, host your own mail. Domains are $8 a year and a low powered host + 1 IP is literally just as cheap per month. It's not difficult, and I host my own mail off of my dedicated box for mail I actually want. Once it's out on the Internet or in a location where you cannot secure it, all bets are off and it's free to be intercepted, hacked, data mined, you name it. Also, keep in mind the golden rule of Internet security. You present it, they will come.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3
Excellent post Smith6612.

Cycholobo

join:2008-08-09
Webster Springs, WV
reply to Smith6612
been watching your posts for years - always glad to have your input

thanks

mike1965
Geek4rent

join:2002-09-23
Marion, IL
reply to Smith6612
said by Smith6612:

said by chances14:

said by mike1965:

This. The reason Yahoo! accounts tend to get hacked often is due to how high profile they are (They are 18? years old). The same stuff happens with Live (now Outlook) and Google as well. Oh, and they, just like Yahoo! tailor ads towards you as well through the Google Advertising network or the Yahoo! Bing Advertising network.

If you want some security and less folks stomping on what's in your inbox, host your own mail. Domains are $8 a year and a low powered host + 1 IP is literally just as cheap per month. It's not difficult, and I host my own mail off of my dedicated box for mail I actually want. Once it's out on the Internet or in a location where you cannot secure it, all bets are off and it's free to be intercepted, hacked, data mined, you name it. Also, keep in mind the golden rule of Internet security. You present it, they will come.

I agree with all the above, that is why I am migrating over to all my own accounts, I will how ever say being in the tech field that I have seen more yahoo accounts and hotmail accounts hacked than I have gmail......not that gmail does not get hacked but just does not seem as common.

lucky for me I have my own hosting account and several domains so I do not lack other options like many.

great post by the way
--
Free computer help »geek4rent.us

Fire Fighter Forum »firetooltrader.com

Southern Illinois Business Directory »www.thesouthernillinoisguide.com

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by mike1965:

I will ... say being in the tech field that I have seen more yahoo accounts and hotmail accounts hacked than I have gmail......not that gmail does not get hacked but just does not seem as common.

I have had both a Hotmail account, and an MSN account since 1999. Received an occasional "phish" threatening account deletion, but never used a password like, "prettyguy52".

I saw a variation of that password fall on a relative's MSNIA account. I expect the greatest security failure of popular Web mail services is the users.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum