spc
Search similar:

uniqs
plat2on1
join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

plat2on1

[IPv6] IPv6 for Cisco areas?

is this coming anytime soon? haven't seen anything since the original announcement.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

I was wondering about this myself, seems to be around/past the time frame mentioned before.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

4 edits

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Click for full size
I'm in a Motorola area(At least I assume) and we don't have IPV6 here yet, unless the SMC Xfinity gateway doesn't have IPV6 support :P. (CT)

-Opps, thought we were talking about STB brands :P.
- That link down the thread more says I am on a Cisco CMTS .

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf to plat2on1

to plat2on1
I'm suprised you up in NY doesnt have IPv6. I'm in a Cisco/Arris area down in Jersey and we've had native IPv6 since early June.

skuv
@rr.com

skuv to plat2on1

Anon

to plat2on1
Cisco and Motorola areas as in Cisco settops and Motorola settops? What would that have to do with IPv6 through a cable modem?
bigjoesmith
join:2000-11-21
Peoria, IL

bigjoesmith

said by skuv :

Cisco and Motorola areas as in Cisco settops and Motorola settops? What would that have to do with IPv6 through a cable modem?

The term Cisco area refers to the cable head-end equipment.

I too would like to know the status of IPv6 support on the various models of head-end equipment.

Is there any way to determine if one is in a Cisco area (or what head-end equipment serves an area)?
bigjoesmith

bigjoesmith

According to this post on Comcast forums, they are still working on getting ipv6 support for Cisco CMTS gear, as of 8/13/2012. No details on when...
08-13-2012 12:51 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
crf450r wrote:

whats going on with the cisco cmts' and not having ipv6 yet. the arris ones do. anyone got any details on this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As of right now I can't give you any details other then we are working on getting the Cisco CMTS IPv6 ready. You can keep an eye on »www.comcast6.net for updates.

Senior Network Engineer, Comcast
v6 Project

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to bigjoesmith

MVM

to bigjoesmith
said by bigjoesmith:

Is there any way to determine if one is in a Cisco area (or what head-end equipment serves an area)?

See: »[IPv6] How can we know what CMTS we are on?
bigjoesmith
join:2000-11-21
Peoria, IL

bigjoesmith

Thanks, that's great. I should have though about MAC address lookups.

I like this quote from April 22, 2010 about initial IPv6 trials (6Rd). They seemed to think back then that the Cisco CMTS equipment would support IPv6. But they are apparently still waiting on IPv6 for Cisco CMTS over 2 years later.
This trial depends upon a Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) being upgraded to support IPv6. Two of our CMTS vendors, Cisco and Arris, have software ready for IPv6 testing on their CMTS platforms.*
[...]
* Note: We also use Motorola CMTSes. We believe Motorola intends to support IPv6 on their CMTS platform sometime in 2011, but that is not yet confirmed.
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6 to bigjoesmith

to bigjoesmith
said by bigjoesmith:

said by skuv :

The term Cisco area refers to the cable head-end equipment.

I too would like to know the status of IPv6 support on the various models of head-end equipment.

Houston and a few other areas are the exception to this definition. Houston has Motorola head-end equipment but uses SA/Cisco DVRs and both Motorola and SA/Cisco STBs via a SA overlay system. Over the years, the Motorola STBs have been and continue to be replaced with SA/Cisco STBs. Comcast
has been giving out SA/Cisco STBs for many years. Comcast is currently making a push to get rid of all Motorola STBs in the Houston area.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to bigjoesmith

to bigjoesmith
I remember what was done in the past was to go into your modem's logs and do a MAC address lookup of the CMTS. For example my CMTS MAC address is 00:01:5c:24:1d:ce which pulls up Cadant Inc. which was bought out by Arris.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

I remember what was done in the past was to go into your modem's logs and do a MAC address lookup of the CMTS. For example my CMTS MAC address is 00:01:5c:24:1d:ce which pulls up Cadant Inc. which was bought out by Arris.

Which is why you have dual stack IPv6, your CMTS is not Cisco.
derekivey
join:2006-03-30
San Jose, CA

derekivey to plat2on1

to plat2on1
I've been wondering about this too. We have Business Class at work and I've been waiting for IPv6 support. It looks like our SMC D3G-CCR still isn't certified for IPv6. I wonder when they plan to roll this out...

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood to plat2on1

Premium Member

to plat2on1
We're still testing the latest Cisco software. As soon as we are sure it is stable and scalable we'll start to deploy it. We hope we're there soon - especially since we're basically done with the Arris footprint.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to AVonGauss

to AVonGauss
I was referring to my area using Cisco/SA set top boxes.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
Thanks for the update J.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

We're still testing the latest Cisco software. As soon as we are sure it is stable and scalable we'll start to deploy it. We hope we're there soon - especially since we're basically done with the Arris footprint.

Any update as to when we might see v6 on the WiFi deployments?

Does it depend on if the CMTS in the region is enabled or is traffic tunneled back to a controller?

I ended up writing a script that brings up a 6in4 tunnel when I connect to one of the APs with my laptop. I don't have that option with my mobile devices though. :-(

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

2 recommendations

jlivingood

Premium Member

said by whfsdude:

Any update as to when we might see v6 on the WiFi deployments?

It depends on the backend (BRAS type element) supporting IPv6. The current ones do not and cannot support IPv6, which disappointed me greatly. So we are in the process of swapping those out for a different vendor's gear that is a bit more future-focused. Luckily the APs support IPv6 fine so there are only a small number of elements to change.

It'll be a few more months until you see the effects of this as an end user but we're really excited about doing it since so many mobile devices can support IPv6 just fine.
bgoodbody
Bill G
join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA

bgoodbody to jlivingood

to jlivingood
Thanks for the update looking forward to it here. NetDog working on an issue with WNR3500L from Sam Knows that causes reconnect problem if any IPV6 options turned on in Router

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to plat2on1

MVM

to plat2on1
From this article on the Telecoms.com site today, it looks like IPv6 capability will be deployed to all Comcast HSI customers by the middle of next year:

Comcast reveals IPv6 targets
By Mike Hibberd, Telecoms.com - October 17, 2012
»www.telecoms.com/51007/c ··· targets/