uniqs
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

1Password and Dropbox

I use 1Password for Windows (and used to use it in the past when I used to be a Mac guy) and know it can be paired with a Dropbox account so it can sync to other PCs and/or mobile devices. If a strong password is set on the 1Password data file, how secure is it sitting in the "cloud" on Dropbox? Seems like a convenient way to have all passwords on the go, but is the security trade-off an acceptable concession?

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

Seems like you might try Lastpass as well. Browser integration a bit better from the looks of it. And it's free. But the 1password storage seems pretty secure to Dropbox. It's encrypted with AES. And dropbox has encryption as well. So the file is doubly encrypted. Someone hacking Dropbox, then this file would seem like a low probability.
Airtj
join:2001-08-08
Clifton, VA

Airtj to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
It should be fine. I use Lastpass and just started to use it with Google Authenticator. 2 factor authentication and it works perfectly. I suggest you check it out.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
But others have said you plan sounds like it would work fine. I too use LastPass, it's very secure and does what you are trying to do in two steps all by itself. It's certainly worth a look!

angussf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ

angussf to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

I use 1Password for Windows (and used to use it in the past when I used to be a Mac guy) and know it can be paired with a Dropbox account so it can sync to other PCs and/or mobile devices. If a strong password is set on the 1Password data file, how secure is it sitting in the "cloud" on Dropbox? Seems like a convenient way to have all passwords on the go, but is the security trade-off an acceptable concession?

If you're truly paranoid, you can always use BoxCryptor to encrypt anything you store in the cloud.

HA Nut
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
USA

HA Nut to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
If I weren't using LastPass, I would probably consider 1Password. The only thing about using 1Password and Dropbox is that it means using 2 programs to make it all work. It's my understanding that once it's setup, it flows fairly seemlessly. But if something doesn't work, you have a more complex thing to figure out...