Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kbar

join:2012-10-02
Highland Park, NJ

2 edits

[RESOLVED] No Program Name with second MoCa bridge

So i've got two floors to my house, with a coax line running from my ONT in the garage to each floor (2 coax lines total).

Here is what my setup looks like:

Internet all works, and the TV signal is fine. However, there are no channel guides (everything is no program name). I've tried looking through the forums for previous user setups, but nothing looks like my setup, or I'm just failing to recognize the similarities. Would you guys be able to help out?

[EDIT] i'd like to mention that i dont have a tv hooked up to the stb on the first floor. the problem I'm referring to is the for the STB on the second floor.

[SOLUTION] Reboot second floor STB.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

Re: No Program Name with second MoCa bridge

What color is the COAX LAN light on the router? Solid green = good, flashing green = moderate, no light = bad moca signal which is what would lead to the guide issue.

kbar

Highland Park, NJ
it's solid green.

i'd like to mention that i dont have a tv hooked up to the stb on the first floor. the problem I'm referring to is the for the STB on the second floor.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
reply to kbar
First off, your diagram doesn't make sense.
You can't have two coax connections to the ONT.

kbar

Highland Park, NJ
You're right. There's a splitter right outside of the ONT.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to kbar
For starters, log in to the Actiontec, click on the globe in the main page, then click on Coax Stats in the Underlying Device in Network (Home/Office). Post a screenshot.

From your title "No program name with second Moca Bridge" suggests it was working fine before you added the ECB2200V. There may be a MoCA controller conflict.

Questions: What IP does your computer pull on the first floor?
What IP does any computer pull on the second floor?
Does the main page of Actiontec show Broadband connected? (Likely yes if internet works fine).

Consider powering up in sequence. Shut Actiontec, ECB2200V, and STBs down. You'll need to unplug power cord on STBs.

Then power on Actiontec, wait 'til status settles down, power up ECB, wait til status settles down, power up STBs.

There is a status page on each STB where you can show what IP address it has pulled. You'll also be able to see it in the Actiontec router under My Network icon.

Capture the coax stats page before you reboot everything. It should be informative. Compare the pages before and after.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

1 edit
reply to kbar
Your title states "second MOCA bridge", but there is only one in your diagram. Is there another MOCA bridge you haven't shown?

Some initial thoughts.
•Have you assigned static IP addresses to any of your computers? If so, what IP addresses did you use?
•Your signal may be split too many times.
•What kind of coax runs do you have? Is it RG-6 (thick, stiff), or RG-59 (thin, flexible)? You may have too much high frequency signal loss if it's RG-59.
•Are all three splitters VZ supplied? If not are they rated to 1Ghz or better?
•Also interested to see the MOCA stats birdfeedr See Profile requested.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

kbar

Highland Park, NJ
reply to birdfeedr
Computers:
second floor IP address: 192.168.1.2
first floor ip address: 192.168.1.9

yes it does say broadband connected.

here's the coax connection stats:

I have not assigned any static IP addresses.
The coax cables are all thick and stiff, installed by the verizon tech.

The splitters were installed by the verizon tech, except for the one on the first floor that came with the MoCa bridge.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
Coax connection stats are good, there's nothing wrong with coax. Asterisk next to Device3 indicates it's the MoCA controller.

Verify at each STB (oops, the one downstairs has no TV hooked up to it) the STB IP. If the STB reports a 169.254.x.x address, then it has lost the router-provided one.

The power down and power up sequence I indicated will fix the problem.

kbar

Highland Park, NJ
hmm. the upstairs STB reports a 192.168.1.100 address, same as the one listed in the router for that STB.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
Do Widgets and VOD work on the upstairs STB?

kbar

Highland Park, NJ

1 edit
no they do not.

so i unplugged the splitter downstairs, disconnecting the unused STB and connecting the moca bridge directly to the coax coming off the ONT's splitter, rebooted the STB upstairs, and I got good channel guides. I'm guessing my signal is being split too many times. Is there a way to boost the signal another way, or re-wire my setup?

There is no real way I will be able to run cat5 from the router upstairs to my computer downstairs, due to how the house is laid out.

knordrw

join:2007-09-07
Bethel Park, PA
kudos:1
Silly question, but since you didn't say you tried it, I figured I'd ask.....did you try to just reboot the stb upstairs before changing any wiring? Sometimes, as odd as it seems, that's all that's needed. Especially if it was working, and then you change some of the wiring (like, say, adding a MoCA bridge).

kbar

Highland Park, NJ
I'm about to do this after the presidential debates end

Moca

@bellatlantic.com
"The splitters were installed by the verizon tech, except for the one on the first floor that came with the MoCa bridge."

Where did you get the ECB and what kind of splitter did it come with?

fiostek

@comcast.net
reply to kbar
you cant trust the moca light. depending on what type of stb you should access your troubleshooting guide and insure moca speeds above 180. you would want them in the 230 to 240 range but i have seen fair speeds of 210 work well. If you have a splitter inline it needs to be 1 ghz or better, as the older 900 mhz and lower will not pass moca. Poor cabling, a short, kink, bung or many other things will kill your speeds, old cabling strung along the outside of the house, cracked from the sun and has absorbed water from the rain'........ many examples. bottom line, find your diagnostics and bring you moca speed up to 230

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
OP already posted his MOCA speeds and they're all above 230.

kbar

Highland Park, NJ
so it indeed appears that the issue has been resolved with a simple reboot of the STB upstairs. Far easier than what I had expected

thanks a lot guys!

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
reply to kbar

Re: [RESOLVED] No Program Name with second MoCa bridge

An STB reboot or autocorrection is like eating chicken soup when you are sick. It should always be taken even if it doesn't help because it can never hurt.