Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to captokita

Premium Member

to captokita

Re: Yet another revision of the PS3 surfaces

said by captokita:

It's not that I expect a plethora of new games to come out for it, but I also don't expect it to be cut loose and treated like it doesn't exist either.

Sadly, that's what I've come to expect from Sony.

They went out of their way to brag about the ten year lifespan for the PS1, but trying to find any new peripherals or memory cards for PS1 stuff after the first six months of the PS2's release was next to impossible. And despite the PSP still being well within its supposed ten-year span globally, only the Japanese release schedule really shows a significant amount of new games coming to the handheld, while it's basically treated like an abortion here in the states, in favor of their absurdly overpriced, non-BC Vita.

One reason I could see 360 owners moving on to the next system quickly, is that unlike the Xbox 1 to 360 transition, Microsoft did keep the IP rights to the hardware in the 360, so there's less reason for them to not include proper BC for the 360 on the newer system, and get people who adopt early a good, revised system to play their current games, and maybe even with better graphics and/or load times to boot. At the least, unlike Sony nor Nintendo (to a lesser extent), Microsoft didn't take away functionality of their systems with successive revisions of their consoles.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by C0deZer0:

said by captokita:

It's not that I expect a plethora of new games to come out for it, but I also don't expect it to be cut loose and treated like it doesn't exist either.

Sadly, that's what I've come to expect from Sony.

They went out of their way to brag about the ten year lifespan for the PS1, but trying to find any new peripherals or memory cards for PS1 stuff after the first six months of the PS2's release was next to impossible. And despite the PSP still being well within its supposed ten-year span globally, only the Japanese release schedule really shows a significant amount of new games coming to the handheld, while it's basically treated like an abortion here in the states, in favor of their absurdly overpriced, non-BC Vita.

One reason I could see 360 owners moving on to the next system quickly, is that unlike the Xbox 1 to 360 transition, Microsoft did keep the IP rights to the hardware in the 360, so there's less reason for them to not include proper BC for the 360 on the newer system, and get people who adopt early a good, revised system to play their current games, and maybe even with better graphics and/or load times to boot. At the least, unlike Sony nor Nintendo (to a lesser extent), Microsoft didn't take away functionality of their systems with successive revisions of their consoles.

It seems like there's an interesting dichotomy of attitudes about this concept though. Not necessarily here, but I mean within the gaming community overall. I built my PC about four years ago. I know people with more recent PCs than mine who game as well. Many of us have had trouble with some newer games (Diablo 3, and the Mists of Pandaria expansion for WoW) in terms of sucking up GPU processing power and generally causing slowdown on the system whenever the game's running, even at very low graphics settings. Whenever I've mentioned this on forums for either of those games, I get attacked, and am told that PC games should not be designed with machines that are older than 1-2 years in mind. Their solution: Go build a new PC, or don't expect to play.

Yet console developers should be expected to support those for a lifespan of up to 10 years? Why is it the attitude of "upgrade often or fall behind" is acceptable when it comes to PC gaming, yet when it comes to console gaming a console that's 7, 8, 9+ years old should still be clinging to some semblance of life?

I do think that at the very least, memory cards and peripherals for the last generation console should still be made available for a considerable length of time, and existing games should still be sold. Gamestop (evil as they may be) does a great job of this with their used game market, supporting one generation behind what's currently on the market.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

said by danawhitaker:

I do think that at the very least, memory cards and peripherals for the last generation console should still be made available for a considerable length of time, and existing games should still be sold. Gamestop (evil as they may be) does a great job of this with their used game market, supporting one generation behind what's currently on the market.

My experience would disagree.

None of the Gamestop locations that I could get to even gave the Dreamcast 24 hours before liquidating everything they had after Sega's official announcement to drop out of the hardware market. Their hatred of PC gaming in general is notorious to the point of ridiculousness.

Honestly, it's heart-wrenching how quick they'll nukify stock of something as soon as a new gen come out, while trying to pressure everyone into preorders for stuff that want to buy whatever they actually do carry.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Well that's your fault from buying from a store that sells used games as new. That includes everything.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Well, it's kind of hard to look at other options when they basically are the only line of stores that even accept used games and accessories.

Even here where I currently live, I'll find about five gamestop locations before I'll find a single pawn shop that would even deal in any video game systems, games, or accessories.

What makes it all the more depressing, was that I do know of a better store that handles this stuff much more responsibly, and with much better policies, than GameFailstop. Problem is, they're on the other side of the country.

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita to danawhitaker

Premium Member

to danawhitaker
said by danawhitaker:

I think there is no reason (besides more sales duh) why the storage needs to change at all between versions of the consoles. Why should I have to buy a new memory card for my new console which usually costs another $30-$40 or so? (just answered that) If it were compatible with previous memory cards, you would still sell memory cards for $30 - $40, because that card will eventually fill up, and you will want another. Sell the gamer the 32GB model vs the 4GB they had before! ooooh more space! Not some completely new version. That's where I get annoyed at it.

Back to your analogy of the PC/console bit. You're right, you build a rig, and the sucker is generally obsolete a year later, you need more RAM, a better video card, etc. to keep current. My current system cost me $600 when I got it, and since having it (4-5 years now) I've added better video cards to it. It's true, we expect more "life" out of a console, since it's sole purpose is gaming, whereas your computer does more things. But that is changing with more integration on home consoles to do multiple things. (play bluray, netflix, etc)

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
ebay?

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

1 edit

C0deZer0

Premium Member

said by Metatron2008:

ebay?

Oh yes, and spend $1000 on a "new" 60GB PS3 and then it arrives to be a ps3 box with a couple of cinder blocks inside or something. I don't think so.

**EDIT**

Funny... same day I post this, and now my PSP Go won't charge from either the USB cable it came with, nor from the official Sony cradle/dock made for the thing.

And the amount of broken to intact PSP's on eBay for that matter is pretty telling in its own right.