spc
Search similar:

uniqs

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

Nexus 7 Slowdown?

Hello... any fellow nexus 7 owners noticed a slowdown on the device?

Some specs:
non rooted
16 GB model with 1.85GB free
avast running

Not sure when it started... but it appears to be within the last few days... the only thing I can think that changed is free storage memory went down due to the 25 cent sale the last few days

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

I haven't noticed a slow down. Then again I have about 10 GB free on mine [out of 16 GB].

*Side note: Is there a need for AV protection on a tablet? I never used any on my Ipad, but I see several use it on their 'Droid devices.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0 to dib22

Premium Member

to dib22
said by dib22:

Hello... any fellow nexus 7 owners noticed a slowdown on the device?

Some specs:
non rooted
16 GB model with 1.85GB free
avast running

Not sure when it started... but it appears to be within the last few days... the only thing I can think that changed is free storage memory went down due to the 25 cent sale the last few days

I have noticed than with many android devices especially when it comes to DL'ing operations and especially multitasking at same time, near or below the 1GB mark. A lot more swapping and stuff going on when you get to that point.
Especially devices where the OS RAM is not totally dedicated mem but (at least partially for temp files) shared master 16 or whatever GB memory.
Or even if the OS RAM is under 1GB (espedcially 256MB devs) where definetely all/much of the temp stuff is going to the main memory

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to Snakeoil

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

*Side note: Is there a need for AV protection on a tablet? I never used any on my Ipad, but I see several use it on their 'Droid devices.

I started using Avast on my Touchpad because when the device is rooted it has a firewall ability.

Since my Nexus 7 isn't rooted all it really does is scan apps that you install against their list of troubled apps. Not a perfect solution but at least it might give me a heads up in enough time to change passwords if an app gets discovered as rogue.

A lot more rouge apps get through googles approval process than apples, but they have even gotten into apples garden.
dib22

3 edits

dib22 to Hayward0

to Hayward0
said by Hayward0:

I have noticed than with many android devices especially when it comes to DL'ing operations and especially multitasking at same time, near or below the 1GB mark. A lot more swapping and stuff going on when you get to that point.

I am seeing this discussed out there on the internet I think you might be correct... I will try shedding some apps get it back to 3GB free and see what happens in the next day or so.

edit: got it to 5GB free rebooted a few times, still slow. Uninstalled a couple of apps that showed up in Running, still slow. Wonder if my nexus 7 is dying?

another edit: ok im not alone... this thread seems to describe it and my magic mark was the 2GB mark.. after freeing space it stays throttled.... »productforums.google.com ··· B1-25%5D

I'm going to do a backup and full reset when I can get a chance and see if that cleans it up until google determines if its hardware fix (replacement) or software update... my touchpad is faster than my nexus 7 at this point (chuckle).

Yet another edit: only appears to happen to 16GB models, 8GB models should be able to be filled up to the brim with no issues.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to dib22

Premium Member

to dib22
k, Thank you. I hadn't given a thought about rogue apps. I did run into that with Apple, I had a CC number stolen from an app purchase. The bank was quick to stop the charges, but slow to alert us. We only found out about it, after my card was declined when I tried buying something.

I guesss it wouldn't hurt to have something like Avast.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

Full reset restored it to its normal speed (have to re-install everything however ). I guess I will root this thing since I need a good backup solution for each reset until they fix this.

Anyone know of a good non root backup solution for nexus 7?
dib22

dib22

Ok just thought I would post this here for any that run across the issue.

It seems that they did place a fix for this in 4.1.2 (I have yet to re-fill my device so I haven't had the slow down yet)... but to get the fix to work you have to fill the fill system up then remove items (so the trim commands get issued).

Here is the article I am referencing:

»www.nxtab.co.uk/nexus-7- ··· nce-fix/

This only applies to certain Nexus 7 16GB models with samsung memory.
24396176 (banned)
join:2012-05-24
Milpitas, CA

24396176 (banned)

check its RAM and Android version

Maxn Eiffel
@111.118.247.x

Maxn Eiffel to dib22

Anon

to dib22
check its RAM..also the android version