share rss forum feed

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to funny0

Re: IPTV?

Uh, Stargate is a hollywood production, just because it was filmed in Canada doesn't necessarily make it Canadian and it probably got most of its funding from America. Just like a bunch of other shows filmed in Canada but created and shown in America.

Sears

join:2008-02-17
said by mlerner:

Uh, Stargate is a hollywood production, just because it was filmed in Canada doesn't necessarily make it Canadian and it probably got most of its funding from America. Just like a bunch of other shows filmed in Canada but created and shown in America.

I believe there were actually some Canadian production companies jointly working on Stargate with American ones AFAIK.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to mlerner
Stargate SG-1: Canadian creator, Canadian crew, mostly Canadian cast, Canadian facilities, Canadian production company (there were multiple, the one physically making the show was Canadian)... Only the money was American. To me, that makes it a Canadian show.

There's a heck of a lot more than "just filmed in Canada" going on there. The Americans threw money at Canada to make the show for them.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
Ok, but it's still owned and paid by the Americans. Our culture or broadcasting rules didn't make it happen.

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
reply to MrShag
lol @ thinking stargate is a quality program

balur

join:2010-04-28
kudos:1
reply to mlerner
If you haven't watched it already, watch Continuum

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
said by balur:

If you haven't watched it already, watch Continuum

Sci-fi? Good looking actress? Me likey.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to MrShag
OK, now you can't claim THIS one isn't Canadian, this one was paid for by Shaw, and hasn't even aired in the US yet :P
--

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

3 edits
reply to funny0
said by funny0:

one thing you forget is the actual reason this so called lock down exists , it ensures that at least some content is made in canada....thus ensuring our culture survives....AND before you get all trippy about content some of the best content in the past has been made in canada....think stargate sg1 ....and i can drop a ton of the sci fi shows that you would go really that was made in canada?
You wonder why there isn't much good sci fi , its cause were not making any any more. WE should be and its as i said in another thread why im getitng into stuff. THE fact is if hollywood can't entertain me ...i'll entertain myself.

Actually, if canadian channels didn't license first run of american/international shows (because the channels were offered already with international trade), then canadian channels would be forced to create 100% original content, or play entirely old syndication if they dont want to.

American channels, for the most part, make entirely original content during prime time, then syndicate old shows before and after. There is no simulcast BS and no USA content % restrictions.

The whole reason this exists is for the channels themselves to remain, as some of them would have no purpose.
in other words canadian channels tmn, comedy, space, much music, etc were created for the purpose of simulcasting/syndicating off of hbo, comedy central, sci fi and mtv/vh1 etc.. american channels.
canadian content is an afterthought that they see as being forced to do.
BUT original content could be the primary focus of the channel, if they weren't sold primetime/first run content rights.

Rickkins

join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

We're interested in doing it but we currently have no such plans. I looked into it extensively a couple years ago and found it problematic for a number of reasons. I felt like it was all more of a headache than anything.

Right now our plans are simply to do what we're already doing, but better. Seems that's what people want from us so I'm inclined to oblige.

Uh Marc, have you seen this link..??
»www.zazeen.com/isp-partnership.html
"Want to expand your services and increase your revenue to compete with the Big Guys? Our Internet Service Provider partnership allows IPS's of all sizes to provide Zazeen TV to their current customer base. Simply Interconnect with us at any of our Data Center locations to offer Zazeen TV. Please email ISP@zazeen.ca and one our our representatives will contact you shortly with more information regarding our ISP partnership program".

Perhaps it's a ridiculous suggestion...or perhaps not. Might be at least worth sending an email or two....

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

OK, now you can't claim THIS one isn't Canadian, this one was paid for by Shaw, and hasn't even aired in the US yet :P

And it isn't very good like too many Canadian shows.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to MrShag
Even though Zazeen's IPTV is missing a few channels that I watch, like the Military channel, I would sign up to it for $40 through TekSavvy. It's still a bunch less than what I'm paying now.
--

Perma

join:2011-12-20
reply to MrShag
I just emailed zazeen support and they said it is possible for teksavvy to partner with them.

stephaneR

join:2008-04-26
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

I would sign up to it for $40 through TekSavvy. It's still a bunch less than what I'm paying now.

+1
I would any day switch from my videotron subscription to IPTV with teksavvy

Stephane

PlatooN

join:2007-02-13
Kitchener, ON
said by stephaneR:

said by Guspaz:

I would sign up to it for $40 through TekSavvy. It's still a bunch less than what I'm paying now.

+1
I would any day switch from my videotron subscription to IPTV with teksavvy

Stephane

me too.

Rickkins

join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy Cable
Thing of it is, if it was just acanac offering this, teksavvy could ignore it. But with distributel in the mix as well, I think it becomes somewhat more problematic for teksavvy, as distributel has, at least so far, a decent rep, and they offer some similar tiers as teksavvy.

rdcanuck

join:2010-09-22
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
I hate to say it but after many years with Teksavvy, this could be the service offering that makes me switch to Distributel (even though I wasn't looking).

I understand if Tek doesn't want to play is this game of IPTV but I hope they reconsider.

Gami00

join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON
myself personally, with what Marc even said in this very thread. I would rather TSI focus their funds/resources on making UBB a more reasonable pricing point then it currently is now, and then fix/deploy their migration to Aggregated-POI TPIA system smoothly so i can enjoy faster speeds in both upload and downloads, over offering IPTV service.

You don't always needs to be the first one out to market to be profitable. They can easily let zazeen/arcanic/Dist work out all the early kinks and then introduced their offering after learning what the others have gone through.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
said by Gami00:

myself personally, with what Marc even said in this very thread. I would rather TSI focus their funds/resources on making UBB a more reasonable pricing point then it currently is now, and then fix/deploy their migration to Aggregated-POI TPIA system smoothly so i can enjoy faster speeds in both upload and downloads, over offering IPTV service.

You don't always needs to be the first one out to market to be profitable. They can easily let zazeen/arcanic/Dist work out all the early kinks and then introduced their offering after learning what the others have gone through.

The problem is that if TekSavvy doesn't get SOME sort of IPTV thing going, then some TekSavvy customers are locked into a monopoly.

Without changing ISPs, Videotron is currently the ONLY television provider I have access to; satellite dishes are forbidden in my lease. FibeTV, Acanac IPTV, Colba IPTV, none of those are available to me as a TekSavvy customer.
--

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
said by Guspaz:

Without changing ISPs, Videotron is currently the ONLY television provider I have access to; satellite dishes are forbidden in my lease. FibeTV, Acanac IPTV, Colba IPTV, none of those are available to me as a TekSavvy customer.

This is literally my situation. I promised the family we would get FibeTV when it was available (as it stomps Videotron's offering greatly) but in doing so I will be forced to take their internet and need to cancel Ebox which I was very happy with.

As Acanac/Distributel is forced to do the same thing, it will be in Teksavvy's interest to at least look back into this

kragop

join:2006-02-15
Scarborough, ON
reply to Guspaz
This thread reminds me of a question I've had for sometime. I remember in a previous thread there was talk about Teksavvy looking into installing Netflix hardware- "Netflix Open Connect Cache Appliance". Any update on this?

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
said by kragop:

This thread reminds me of a question I've had for sometime. I remember in a previous thread there was talk about Teksavvy looking into installing Netflix hardware- "Netflix Open Connect Cache Appliance". Any update on this?

It was done within the last 2 months. Can't remember which month exactly.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to Guspaz
I'm sure if a Tek customer wants IPTV so badly, they will likely switch as a Bell or Rogers customer does.

I still don't see the appeal of paying for forced content even if it's a bit cheaper but that's just me.

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium,VIP
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC
kudos:7
That was installed at least 3-4 months ago.

yabos

join:2003-02-16
London, ON
Does the Netflix caching server still work if you're using a service such as unblock-us?

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
said by yabos:

Does the Netflix caching server still work if you're using a service such as unblock-us?

No. Unblock US resolves the queries to their own servers to provide proxying of the content (hence bypassing geo location) so it would never reach any server in Canada except their own.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to mlerner
So if I want something other than Videotron, my only choice is to accept a uselessly low cap? That's not a real option.
--

torobull123

join:2009-06-20
reply to TSI Marc
I'd be very interested in IPTV if it provided the same live channels which are offered in Rogers and Bell, at very competitive competitive pricing. Like $40/month for something similar to a Rogers VIP package (approx $100/month)

Currently the pricing for TV in Canada is insane, for the crappy content provided. Plus they have a strict 1 sub - 1 device policy which is insane, plus rental fees.

Also TV providers only provided packages, while I'd like the option to pick and choose the live channel that I want.

I don't plan on paying $100 a month, just to watch the Comedy Channel, A&E, History Channel & OLN.

rosenqui
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Kanata, ON
There's a discussion about Zazeen's offering in the Canadian Broadband forum that goes into some detail about what you do/don't get from Zazeen: »zazeen / acanac iptv going live soon - website updated

Keep in mind that they're just getting off the ground; things will no doubt change over time, hopefully for the benefit of us consumers.

I did a quick roundup of the major TV players in Ontario vs. Zazeen and posted the details in this article: Zazeen - shaking up the Canadian TV landscape

torobull123

join:2009-06-20

1 edit
I have to say that zazeen has all the basics plus a VERY generous line up of specialty channels for at $40/month.

Assuming it has all the listed channels on their site provided in their basic package, they would have the best TV deal in Ontario.... for the money.

They still have room to grow, missing A&E, OLN, Spike, BET.

Never the less, most bang for buck.

But I still don't like the fact that you have to buy hardware, to hook up to your prerequisite internet connection.

Let me run this service on pc, android, xbox 360, ps3 app. For free under the sub.

No extra non-sense costs.