All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to StuartMW

to StuartMW

Yes which is why its stupid to go on sites like facebook,etc UNDER YOUR REAL INFO and post all kinds of crap!!

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey

Premium Member

If you choose to post, make sure the comments are pithy and worthy of being retained for all time, for the amusement and amazement of future generations.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

Yes which is why its stupid to go on sites like facebook,etc UNDER YOUR REAL INFO and post all kinds of crap!!

It's too late for that. No one seems to care about posting all over facebook, their names, addresses, phone numbers etc.

I'm not against social sites as an Internet software/tool, but the rate at which the world is opening up full disclosure on Facebook has gotten out of control.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by norwegian:

It's too late for that.

Well for those that jumped on the social networking bandwagon it is. Doing that is like losing your virginity--you can't undo it.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

said by norwegian:

It's too late for that.

Well for those that jumped on the social networking bandwagon it is.

Would it be unrealistic to say 1 person on average in every household would be in that category?

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by norwegian:

Would it be unrealistic to say 1 person on average in every household would be in that category?

You can do the math yourself.

»www.itproportal.com/2012 ··· omments/
quote:
Out of the total of 845 million active users, 161 million were from the US alone...

The US population is 330 million or thereabouts so 1 in 2 Americans are on FB.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

That portrays a picture bigger than I thought.

Scary stuff, really scary stuff.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by norwegian:

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

»www.socialbakers.com/fac ··· ustralia
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to norwegian

to norwegian
Yes it shows how the elite have REPROGRAMMED THEM to not care about privacy,think GARBAGE is good,etc........

Its all quite sad!

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian
said by norwegian:

It's too late for that. No one seems to care about posting all over facebook, their names, addresses, phone numbers etc.

never seen addresses, phone numbers or etc. on facebook... got a link ?
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by norwegian:

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

»www.socialbakers.com/fac ··· ustralia

Barf. USA ranks number 1 of all nations for Facebook usage. Plus, USA has a LOT MORE MALE Facebook users than say Brazil.

What I found hilarious though is that site doesn't even keep statistics on the over 64 age group. That must be because this group knows what it likes and dislikes and so are not easily swayed by advertising. So, advertisers salivate at the younger crowds who haven't yet really discovered who they are and their likes and dislikes. I'd like to know though how many in the USA over 64 have a Facebook account.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game

Brolly good give you something but what point would that be if I gave you it all for free....

At least your kind enough to ask....some aren't.

StuartMW
Premium Member

2 edits

StuartMW to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Barf. USA ranks number 1 of all nations for Facebook usage.

In raw numbers or % of the population?

Plus, USA has a LOT MORE MALE Facebook users than say Brazil.

Maybe American males are "friending" Brazilian females

What I found hilarious though is that site doesn't even keep statistics on the over 64 age group. That must be because this group knows what it likes and dislikes and so are not easily swayed by advertising.

Exactly. Older people have been around the block a few times and are much less likely to be swayed by the "look at this new shiny thing" type of advertising. They've seen shiny things before and know that not all are gold

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

Steve to Name Game

to Name Game
said by Name Game:

never seen addresses, phone numbers or etc. on facebook... got a link ?

There's a place to enter all of that - phone numbers, home addresses, screen names for IM - in your About section, and you have fairly high granular ability to set privacy settings (Everybody; Friends; Friends except Acquaintances; Friends of Friends; etc).

I have chosen that all my friends can see all my info, and Everyone and Friends-of-Friends can see most of it. None of this information is required save for an email address associated with your account.

Steve

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

1 recommendation

rcdailey to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
There was a generation of people, like my mother, who just never got into using computers. When her typewriter died, my mother was reduced to using paper and pen. She was given a free computer, but she took no interest in it.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

What I found hilarious though is that site doesn't even keep statistics on the over 64 age group. That must be because this group knows what it likes and dislikes and so are not easily swayed by advertising.

Exactly. Older people have been around the block a few times and are much less likely to be swayed by the "look at this new shiny thing" type of advertising. They've seen shiny things before and know that not all are gold

Or... older people, as a category, don't go in for the new "techie stuff" nearly as much. While they may use desktops or such, they are probably lighter on using the mini personal devices that now seem to thrive around social-networks. I recall not so terribly long ago when programmable VCR's came on the scene with their counter-intuitive operating menus, that adults said, "if you want your VCR successfully programmed to record tonight's football game, just ask your kid to do it." Those adults are now over 65, and the kids have grown up living with programmable devices - and now have kids of their own. And those parents of the adults from the earlier days are now just like rcdailey See Profile describes in the post just above this one.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

Or... older people, as a category, don't go in for the new "techie stuff" nearly as much.

True. Since I'm an older techie, and programmed peoples VCR's and digital watches when I was younger, I have my fair share of toys What I don't and won't have are toys that want to track my every movement.