MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:118
reply to wacko1128

Re: [IL] Ultra50?

I havent gotten an update as of yet. As soon as I get one, I will let you know.

wacko1128

join:2010-03-23
Clinton, IL
Just got your IM. Tech is there now swapping the modem to test. I was not told that anything had been set up to do this. Don't know what he will find or if he will call me back to tell me anything.

wacko1128

Clinton, IL
reply to MediacomChad
Tech did not call me back. My wife said he tried to change out the modem, but there was no difference versus my modem. He changed it back & said there would be no charge and he would tell his boss about the problem and what he found.

wacko1128

Clinton, IL
reply to MediacomChad
Results tonight are even worse than before the tech visit. Hope I'm still even provisioned for Ultra 50

Another test shows better, but speeds are quite inconsistent:

wacko1128

Clinton, IL

2 edits
reply to MediacomChad
Now this is getting weird. Doing some more testing and got this result on my PC:

Then tested on my phone & got this result (connected via wifi):

And this was on my wife's (pretty old laptop):

Not sure why.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
Your upload and download are all over the place.

wacko1128

Clinton, IL
Click for full size
I know. No idea why. Don't know why there would be any significant difference between computers. My PC is the newest (has up to date drivers and such). Just seems strange. Downloaded some more files tonight for some online classes & my D/L speed was up and down a lot.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
If the upload is low on only 1 PC, but good on the others then that is going to point to an issue with the connection on the PC itself, which we really can't help with. The intermittent speeds is something we should be able to take care of though. I'll get this escalated.

wacko1128

Clinton, IL
I'm in the process of checking everything on the 1 PC (drivers, etc.) and find it strange that my DL on other devices is lower. Strange.

Please let me know if/when you hear anything. Thanks.

wacko1128

Clinton, IL
reply to MediacomChad
Tonight & most of the weekend:

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
The last update I got was Friday. I will re-escalate this issue first thing in the morning when Area management is in the office.

wacko1128

Clinton, IL
Sounds good to me. Let me know if you find out anything. Thanks.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
You are welcome.

wacko1128

Clinton, IL
According to my wife a maintenance guy stopped by to have a look today & said he was working on something near by. Just checked to confirm nothing wrong on my end. Does not appear that a "fix" was found today.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
I sent this back up today, but haven't received an update as of yet.

chadwik

join:2002-02-02
Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
Do you have access to someones modern laptop that can be borrowed to test your modem directly to eliminate your hardware? It appears your phone and wife's laptop uploads are fine, but they are not capable of U50 download speeds. The NIC in your PC seems to be limiting itself to 1.27 upload for some reason.

I know I had to upgrade my router to utilize U50 fully, but even after that, my older Pentium 4 file server still could not utilize the speed fully.

Maybe a tech could bring a laptop that has been verified to utilize Ultra50 to your house and retest both with and without your router to eliminate any question in your equipment.

wacko1128

Clinton, IL

1 edit
That's a good question/idea that I had a few days ago. Have a laptop at work I plan on bringing home, but have to ask IT first before I do.

The PC is an interesting problem. The NIC is good and is an Nvidia 10/100/1000 on the motherboard. In fact, there are 2 of them. I have tried using with just one connected then the other, then both with the same results. Drivers for the MB & NIC were checked and are of the most current firmware. This is a gaming rig with a core 2 extreme. Just doubt there is a problem with the PC. (Also look @ first results and see that my DL has been near 50 and upload near 5 in the past on the same PC)

Seems that in the evening I am getting the worst results by a lot and STRANGELY worse than before I "upgraded" to Ultra50. When I do the speed tests they always start out quick (30-40 mbps) then drop dramatically through the test to something like this:

Maintenance guy was back at my house again today and talked to my wife (wish I had been here to talk to him). He said he checked what he could and may have connected a few things differently. Told her that if our problem wasn't fixed, we should contact Motorola for a new firmware or have a new modem put in our house.

Pretty sure Motorola can't give me a firmware.

wacko1128

Clinton, IL

2 edits
reply to MediacomChad
Speeds have just gotten worse and worse since techs started working on this. Am I still even provisioned for Ultra 50?

Does all of this signal info look good?

(This is a Motorola SB6120 - supposedly supported by Mediacom for Docsis 3.0)

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
I am going to see if I can find out what speeds the tech was getting while he was there today.

wacko1128

Clinton, IL
There was not a tech at my house today, but what I would call a maintenance worker. He did not enter my house to check any speeds from what I understand.

wacko1128

Clinton, IL
reply to MediacomChad
Early morning speeds:

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
I just got a reply from Area Management that said we took a modem out there today and got 47 DL and 4.7 UL.

wacko1128

Clinton, IL
My wife said the maintenance guy was here again today, but I can tell you that he has never come into the house.

Ok so here's where things get really weird. Brought my work laptop home tonight. Plugged it into the router directly and got this result on a speed test:

Plugged my desktop back in and got this result:

The laptop had gotten a different IP address when plugged into the modem directly that CORRECTLY showed that I was located somewhere in central Illinois. When I use my desktop it says INCORRECTLY that I am located in central Missouri. Either way I don't know what is going on.

Going to try an update some drivers and such to see if I can make a dent in this issue.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
The Maintenance tech tested the speeds outside the house, we know that the speeds are getting to your house. There is definitely something there that is causing the speed issues.

wacko1128

Clinton, IL

1 edit
I think I may have solved the problem:

Will keep checking over the next few days to see if this keeps fairly consistent.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
Good to hear. If I may ask, what was the issue you found?

wacko1128

Clinton, IL
Well really it was a total accident. I had reinstalled the drivers for my motherboard NIC already in this process of elimination, but thought that maybe I should roll back to the previous version (the newest version is not very new). In the process I uninstalled my driver then was in the process of installing the other driver, but encountered an error after a reboot (as part of the install process). Once I had logged in, the install failed. Almost immediately Windows Update started installing what appeared to be a generic driver for my NICs. Once it finished, I thought what the hell? and tried out some tests. What I posted last is representative of the speeds I was getting most of the evening and this morning (off-peak) I was seeing DL @ 53.09Mb/s and UL @ 5.50Mb/s.

I don't think that my issues were entirely on my end, but that the combo of the maintenance person's work and mine (was up late installing, reinstalling, & updating everything I could think of for several nights) that brought the service up to what was expected.

Still will be monitoring this to be sure this wasn't a fluke, so we'll see. Am hopeful though.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
I am glad we finally got it figured out. Keep me updated and let me know if you have any other issues.

wacko1128

Clinton, IL
Tonight @ 7:30 PM CST:

And another:

Seems like around peak times DL takes a serious hit. These tests begin well over 40 Mbps then drop till the final result.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
I have double checked and I am not seeing any issues from here.