Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

2 edits

skeechan to Selenia

Premium Member

to Selenia

Re: Two thumbs WAY down on iOS 6...fixed stuff that wasn't broke

I can't get the OEM video player to play much of anything. It just claims it can't play this video and this is my high profile MKVs and MP4s. I have some old 480P .mov stuff it'll play but that's about it.

I just tried mxplayer with the ARMv7 codec on my T33 and it is MUCH smoother but still dropping frames (stuttering during the panning over Budapest intro to MI4:GP) whenever I have a panning background in 1080P MKV BRD rip (haven't tried an MP4). Still way better than Meridian. Meridian was virtually worthless.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

What frames do you get? I'm about to get either an a700 or a transformer infinity, and this worries me.

And yeah, you do kinda bash android too much. Ice cream is pretty much bug free, and so is (hopefully) jelly bean.

I haven't had to restart my galaxy s3 or a500 running ics once! I used to have to restart my a500 every day when it ran honeycomb lol.

Of course it ran slow too until returned my a500 back to original settings, after installing ics.

You have to remember, android shoots for a real Linux based OS on a tablet, while Apples OS is a highly simplified OSX. You need lots of power to run android well.

I would have to imagine though, that a quad core transformer prime could easily run 1080p with that said...

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
Our posts inspired me to take the plunge and compile ffmpeg for Android. No longer do I need to use the software tenderer and the hardware tenderer barely taps the CPU on 720p. Silky smooth! It is a bit of work, but is well worth it. Has considerably reduced my battery usage on those mkv and mp4 files. Now to upload a 1080p file to it! Give it a shot if you're bored. My burst could use hardware for some things but now I can use it for everything. Now I don't have to keep the charger handy. Given the very low CPU usage, it may be just the ticket of making it smooth enough to make you happy. Mxplayer can use ffmpeg very handily. IMHO, it's the perfect solution.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
I haven't actually looked at the framerates of games. For video the apps simply drop the frames when it gets behind but I don't know if the app is trying to do film at 24fps or regular 1080P at 30pfs or what.

I'm also seeing a truckload of scaling artifacts mxplayer.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Hey Skeechan. Trying to help you has made me research video issues on Android a little more. As well as improve my experience a bit further. Likely, your codec support blows goats, like mine. Players like vlc and mxplayer fall back to software rendering via their own codecs on unsupported codecs. While my experience has been smoother, most 3rd party players seem to not support full hardware acceleration. This combo has still resulted in a pegged CPU that drains the battery super fast. I had tried compiling ffpeg with x264, wmv, and others for use in mxplayer's custom codec setting. Much much better CPU use, some multicore decoding still going on, but complicated, though with optimal codec support, but seemingly does not use the Tegra2 to full advantage. I found a gem on Google Play that would seem to alleviate this gpu acceleration issue entirely, but still leaves out a couple codecs but still way way better than stock. Mp4 files like yours play perfectly. This app »play.google.com/store/ap ··· oid+beta I read about installs ffmpeg with most codecs with an ffmpeg server and internal command line for encoding. So, I boil my stock video player that I read is the only player to use full hardware acceleration, but lousy codec support. Much to my delight, it played most files it previously could not, with low CPU usage and perfect framerate, even with high profile 1080p. Google got its player right, but probably feared copyright backlash by adding codecs beyond what's included on carriers Rom's(hahaha with AT&T). The apk is for arm v7. My phone is a neon and it's compatible. Just can't support neon instructions. Still it results in the best hardware acceleration and is easy to implement(install an apk). Figured I could give skeechan further Android help as we seem to be the last 2 posting.