share rss forum feed

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

1 edit

New head unit/speakers?

For a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT (2.5L) and 2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium, I want a new head unit.

For the Ranger, I want bluetooth calling, DVD/videos, ipod connector (or something to put a USB or SD card into, I can leave the ipod in the Legacy, rather than move it around each time)

For the Legacy, I just want DVD/video since the car already has hands free Bluetooth and an ipod connector. It would have to keep these functionality. Also, I have two phones, one for work and one personal. I have my personal phone paired with the car now. I would like my work phone paired with the new head unit, if possible.

GPS is a plus but not needed. I already have a Garmin nuvi that I lug around.

I plan on upgrading the Ranger first and seeing how I like the head unit. I will put new speakers in both vehicles too, but not sure what. I get conflicting reports on what size speakers the Legacy takes (some sites and B&M stores say 5 1/4 and some say 6 1/2).

Anyway, what unit would you suggest? How about any of these headunits:
$174.85 - »www.amazon.com/Power-Acoustik-PT···d_cp_e_0
$259.99 - »www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-P2300···duct_top
$164.99 - »www.amazon.com/BV9560B-7-Inch-Wi···68&s=car or Amazon says this is the newer unit, for $10 cheaper:
»www.amazon.com/Boss-Audio-BV9561···title_ce

For the Ranger, what about any of these speakers? Do I need an amp? What would that cost?
$49.87/pair »www.amazon.com/Infinity-Referenc···speakers
$67.99/pair »www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TSD6802R-···speakers
$75.50/pair »www.amazon.com/Infinity-6829CF--···speakers

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

At Crutchfield, for 5-1/4. 6-1/2. and 6-3/4 in the front door, they say they all fit "with bracket" or "with alteration". For the rear door speakers, they all say "with alteration". Subaru must do weird things...

I'd first try the speakers without an amp. If you want more volume, consider adding a subwoofer of some sort and *then* include an amp.

typenamehere

@opera-mini.net

stay far away from boss audio and power acoustik.....pure junk

lew_b
Premium
join:2003-05-11
Poughkeepsie, NY
reply to fartness

Go to crutchfield.com and see what they say.
I just got done installing a new HU in my car and was quite pleased with them. You can probably get a better price somewhere but not the support. You can chat online to someone who is knowledgeable, they will provide instructions on how to do the install as well as any necessary install kits, adapters, etc.
The first HU I got from them had a cosmetic defect, I was able to arrange to have a new one shipped with one chat with one person in about 10 minutes.
Yeah, I'm a Crutchfield fan-boy.
--
Roadkill 2015

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

said by lew_b:

Go to crutchfield.com and see what they say.
You can probably get a better price somewhere but not the support. You can chat online to someone who is knowledgeable, they will provide instructions on how to do the install as well as any necessary install kits, adapters, etc.

They're very competitive -- maybe not the cheapest, mind you -- but as soon as they throw in things like wiring harnesses that adapt the aftermarket stereo to your specific car model, a mounting kit (if necessary), and similar items related to speakers, they are very likely to come out ahead of the place that sells the head unit cheaper.

On a related note, I called a local shop for a 5-1/4-to-6-1/2 speaker adapter. They wanted .... $49 !! Crutchfield wants around $10...

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to fartness

Another vote for Crutchfield. Personally I have been very happy with an Alpine that I installed in my van about 5 years ago.

chmod
Premium
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL
reply to fartness

+1 on Crutchfield you get all the install accessories needed and a nice detailed install guide. I've bought almost all my head units from them. I've used mid level Pioneer and Clarion hu's with no issues. I've heard nothing but good things from Alpine also.
--
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to fartness

Why is everyone so happy about Crutchfield??

Amazon - »www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-P2400···-P2400BT
Crutchfield - »www.crutchfield.com/p_130P2400BT···tp=20217

Amazon is about $90 cheaper.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

said by fartness:

Why is everyone so happy about Crutchfield??

It's a shame you don't read the comments many of us have made.... Go for the unit from Amazon.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

Isn't that part of the installation fee if I take it somewhere?

Expand your moderator at work

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to fartness

Re: New head unit/speakers?

No idea.... Looking at Best Buy's car-installation service options, they all say "(Hardware Not Included)". Unless the place charges hundreds of dollars to install, in which they pad that price with any extra "parts" they might need, shops are going to charge you extra.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to fartness

I like Pioneer

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
reply to Hall

I would never use bestbuy after what they did to my nephew's car.

Just changing the headunit in his 2002 Accord they managed to blow a variety of fuses for interior lights parking/tail lights and cause the SRS system the show error.

jeckler

join:2005-04-11
Mesa, AZ
reply to fartness

I just ordered a Kenwood DDX-419 from Crutchfield for my Scion xB. I had narrowed it down to that, the JVC KW-AV60BT or Pioneer AVH-P4400BH. Not a fan of a couple specs and features of the Pioneer.
It was a last minute decision on the Kenwood. It looks like the interface is just a little more refined than the JVC and the front facing USB and Aux is beneficial. JVC and Kenwood are pretty much one and the same, so it comes down to the little things, IMO.
It should be here Friday.
I could've ordered from a seller on Amazon and saved $60, but I have no idea who Legacy Stereo is, but I do know who/what Crutchfield is.
I'm actually debating getting the KW-AV50 for my wife's truck to replace the KW-HDR720 I installed just last year. I can re-use the BT adapter on it, and give her a rear facing camera too.

lew_b
Premium
Poughkeepsie, NY

I got the DDX-319. I believe that the only difference is that the 319 does not have bluetooth support.
I'm loving the 319 so far, also got the SiriusXm adapter which allowed me to get rid of my XM Onyx and clean up my dashboard.
--
Roadkill 2015

jeckler

join:2005-04-11
Mesa, AZ

Yes, the 419 has BT. I will be using it, both for the phone and audio streaming. My car's small, a rear-view cam will be pointless, so I didn't bother tapping the reverse wire. I did ground the parking switch wire though.
The only thing that I noticed is when viewing titles on USB, it shows the actual file name rather than the ID1/2/3 tag data. It doesn't matter at all when shuffling, but it makes it harder to search for a song. The file name is usually track number-artist -album-track name rather than just artist-track name.
The easiest workaround is to use MP3tag and rename with ID3 data. Unless there's some setting I can change in the search window.

lew_b
Premium
Poughkeepsie, NY

I copied my CDs using Windows Media Player and ripped them as .wav files. I see a structure something like:
Artist -> album name -> songname.wav
Yup, grounded the parking brake wire also. Don't think I'll be playing too many DVDs (moving or not). That display is distracting enough, thank you
--
Roadkill 2015

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to fartness

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Go for it

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
reply to fartness

Looks like you have it covered.

Don't forget bypassing a parking brake is illegal.....

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

Will it cause the parking brake to potentially fail, or is it because the driver can watch a movie while driving?

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Illegal ? I'd be real surprised if there's a law, in all states, that's specific to this.

It's a safety feature that yes, prevents the driver -- and EVERYONE actually -- from using the DVD player while the car is moving.

natedj
Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC

2 edits
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

Will it cause the parking brake to potentially fail, or is it because the driver can watch a movie while driving?

It has no bearing on the workings of the brake, it will only decieve the HU into thinking that the parking brake is on, thus allowing the DVD to play while the car is in motion.

I've installed lots of head units in cars and I started out shopping a Crutchfield, but typically get my gear from the other sellers. If you need your hand to be held during the installation, or don't know which unit or trim kit goes with your rig, then I'll steer you to Crutchfield. But if this isn't your first rodeo and you know what you're doing, I'll say go with the lowest bidder with a manufacturers warranty.

I would suggest getting a HU with GPS if its in the budget. I know you already have a portable GPS, but trust me, the hassles of mounting and unmounting, keeping it plugged up, the dashboard clutter and feasibility of theft all goes away. Not to mention a larger GPS screen and integrated audio through the cabin speakers. I have two portable units, but when I swapped my HU in my 4Runner I was elated I opt for a GPS enabled one. The GPS is always on so the connection to satellites is always instantaneous. When I need it I just have to glance down instead of fishing it out of the glove box and waiting for it to connect.

BTW, I also did the bypass on my unit.
--
Good judgement comes with experience...Experience comes after bad judgements

Hahausuck
Premium
reply to Hall

There is.

I had a print out I would give to my customers requesting that I "hook them up so they can watch their dvd while driving".

Sorry, I am not going help you break the law or put my job at risk.

I was an installer for almost ten years..... if you need a reference.

EDIT:

Oh and some units now a days monitor vehicle movement regardless of the ground/no-ground condition on the e-brake wiring so even if you buypass the safety it shuts the video down.
--
"Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth. Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar."
J.E.H.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

said by Hahausuck:

There is.

I had a print out I would give to my customers requesting that I "hook them up so they can watch their dvd while driving".

Sorry, I am not going help you break the law or put my job at risk.

Reference ? Sorry, but you won't be at fault. If a person sells a gun to a person and that gun is used to hurt or kill another, the seller isn't guilty of any law(s). If a cashier at the grocery sells a case of beer to someone who drinks it all, drives drunk and hurts or kills someone, the cashier isn't liable.

Hahausuck
Premium

Don't have time to search it out.

It was company policy.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Policy of the company makes perfect sense. Law or no law, if you did bypass it and a person crashed their car, the lawyers would sue you and/or your employer ! They might not win, but they'll try !

Hahausuck
Premium

Yes. The print out however also called out some specific law though.

Either way my bringing it up is merely a heads up.