share rss forum feed

bryanviper

join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Chicken rotisserie oven suggestions?

Hello,

Already thinking about x-mas gifts for this holiday season and I'm thinking about picking up a chicken rotisserie oven for my father however I don't know much about it other then I would like one that can handle 2 fairly large chickens at the same time if needed.

Looking at something similar to this,
»www.walmart.com/ip/4000-Series-R···19525110

I'm looking for a quality unit, I'm willing to pay a little more if its going to be better built and not give me issues down the road when compared to a cheap one.

Also was wondering where is a good place to buy one?

Thanks
--
»www.MaximumRepair.ca
Computer Repair/Upgrades In Toronto.

lugnut

@look.ca
Considering you can pick up a fresh rotisserie chicken at any supermarket for under $7 I'd say you have to rethink this maybe.

Two questions.

1) How much rotisserie chicken do you expect your father to eat before he gets sick of it?

2) How big is his kitchen and how much counter space does he have for an appliance that size? Is it going to end up gathering dust on a shelf somewhere?

If I might make a suggestion, a few years ago I bought my dad a foolproof xmas gift. I bought him a Virgin pay as you go mobile phone for emergencies with a year of prepaid credit. Now every birthday and every xmas I just load it up with fresh credit and my gift giving dilemma is solved. It's a thoughtful gift that says I care and it's something he actually gets some regular use out of.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to bryanviper
Set it and Forget It !:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLq27iOW0R0

no idea if these are any good, it's just imbedded in memory

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to bryanviper

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to koira
I wonder how much electricity they use?

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON
A lot less than a conventional oven would to cook all those.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by mazhurg:

A lot less than a conventional oven would to cook all those.

I have a Natural Gas Stove, so I suspect it would be cheaper.

I find it interesting, that when watching American TV shows, and at the point it goes into a kitchen, that for the most part Americans have NG stoves, while the defacto standard up here seems to be electrical.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to bryanviper
I have one of these, currently on sale for $69 from original $139, and I love it - »www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/8···ocale=en

Nowhere near 2 fairly large chickens, just 1, but it works great for that and frozen pizzas.

Sale probably ends soon so grab it now and give it for Christmas.

I start buying all my Christmas gifts in around now as there's piles of stuff on sale.

bryanviper

join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to lugnut
said by lugnut :

Considering you can pick up a fresh rotisserie chicken at any supermarket for under $7 I'd say you have to rethink this maybe.

Two questions.

1) How much rotisserie chicken do you expect your father to eat before he gets sick of it?

2) How big is his kitchen and how much counter space does he have for an appliance that size? Is it going to end up gathering dust on a shelf somewhere?

If I might make a suggestion, a few years ago I bought my dad a foolproof xmas gift. I bought him a Virgin pay as you go mobile phone for emergencies with a year of prepaid credit. Now every birthday and every xmas I just load it up with fresh credit and my gift giving dilemma is solved. It's a thoughtful gift that says I care and it's something he actually gets some regular use out of.

1 - Well it does other things other then Chicken, so he wont only be eating chicken lol.

2 - In terms of counter space its probably an average size but if need be he can always take it out when he wants to use it and put it away once hes done.

Thanks
--
»www.MaximumRepair.ca
Computer Repair/Upgrades In Toronto.

joeblow3

join:2000-12-27
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues
"that for the most part Americans have NG stoves, "

You will find that professional chefs prefer NG 1,000,000 to 1 over electric ranges.

You can control the heat much better and they get hot faster then electric ones.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by joeblow3:

You will find that professional chefs prefer NG 1,000,000 to 1 over electric ranges.

You can control the heat much better and they get hot faster then electric ones.

Trust me I know, you won't find a single professional kitchen with electric.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

lugnut

@look.ca
reply to bryanviper
Well if your Dad already has a toaster oven I was thinking more along the lines of a vertical roaster like one of these. Only single bird capacity but if you really needed to do two birds at once you could always buy two of them

»www.amazon.ca/Cuizen-CUI76278-Ve···3&sr=1-5

»www.amazon.ca/DENI-10800-VERTICA···3&sr=1-2

lugnut

@look.ca
reply to bryanviper
Actually your dad may find one of these more useful.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb2LoWsP-qU

Though speaking as someone who does most of the cooking in my household, over the years you have a tendency to collect a lot of crap appliances and gadgets that really are about as useful as tits on a bull

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by joeblow3:

Trust me I know, you won't find a single professional kitchen with electric.

With ranges dual-fuel types are better than either gas or electric. On the cook-top, there's no doubt that gas is better than radiant heat electric. However, in the oven portion, electric is better than gas. The problem with a gas oven is that the combustion of gas creates water vapour which affects whatever is being baked or roasted. Plus there's no such thing as a gas convection burner (usually just a fan to create current in gas ovens).

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
We have a dual-fuel stove and we're very pleased with it. I find the electric oven tends to give a more even heat than gas.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to decx
I love gas stoves, but I will be the first to admit that I am not at all fond of gas ovens. Once you've had an electric convection oven you'll wonder how the hell you ever lived with anything else.