how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alternator

join:2012-10-02
Chicago, IL

Shared Condo ISP

I live in a 12-unit condo which was recently renovated with Cat 5 cables pulled from each unit to a central space in the basement. Instead of every unit subscribing to DSL/cable companies individually we though it would be nice to contract with a single ISP.

In my research I've come across a few potential options:

»www.towerstream.com/ - 4G wireless, pricey @ $500/mo for 5 Mbps

»www.megapath.com/ - DSL, T1, Ethernet, cable, etc - not sure of costs for a 10-30 Mbps circuit

»www.silverip.com/ - seems like a full service provider for large condo buildings (high-rise)

I was wondering if anyone in the Chicago area has found an ISP that allows internet "reselling"?

Thanks!

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

I wonder if it will be truly competitive with individual Comcast or similar. Plus, who takes care of the infrastructure, IP support, complaints if 2-3 people stream and max out the bandwidth? 10-30M is just enough for 1-2 units, but 12?

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

I was thinking the same thing. 15-30 MB for 1 or 2 units may be enough, but what if all 12 units are using the internet at the same time, and all 12 are all streaming a single movie on Netflix?

Its not exactly how it works, but look at it this way. With a 30 MB download, and 12 units, that is really giving each unit 2.5 MB of bandwidth (if divided equally).

Now, if there was a way to get something like Comcast's 105 MB package, then each unit would have 8.5 MB equally. Still not the best, but I think you see the idea here.

And, the other thing you need to think about is this. Yes, you have 12 units, but what if each unit has multiple devices? It would not be uncommon for each unit to have at least 2 devices that are being used at any one time. Then, you really are looking at dividing up the bandwidth by 24 things, not 12.

If it was possible to get something like Google Fiber to the building, then the average per unit would be 83 MB down, which is very nice. Sure, you would still run into one person using more then the "average" but that is what all ISP's deal with on a day to day basis. Making sure their infrastructure is properly configured to handle the load and demand of their customers.

I think this may be to much for one person to deal with. It may be better to just let the 12 units purchase their own internet from whichever ISP serves the building.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail