All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
bharath7
join:2011-09-15

bharath7 to JigglyWiggly

to JigglyWiggly

Re: sb6141, sb6180, zoom5341, dpc3010

I didnt want to start a new thread. I recently received a letter from Comcast saying that my Docsis 2.0 modem is old and that I need to replace it with a Docsis 3.0 modem to receive good quality of service. I have complained in the past about unstable connections. They say the SNR is all good and the issue is with my modem. I have the Motorola SB5121 and motorola says the modem is fine the issue is with line. Comcast now says either I can replace the modem or they will send a technician out, but if there are no issues they will charge me for the visit. Considering the cost I thought I would rather shell that money and get a new docsis 3.0 modem than pay the technician. I was wondering what is a relatively solid modem. I am looking into either sb6141 or 5341j.

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

well if you want to save money you can get this
»www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-D ··· ca6a9603

45$ for a dpc3010, comcaststeve said he can activate it but can't guarantee that it will be stable or something. It is much cheaper than a used sb6121, or sb6141 or 5341j though.
bharath7
join:2011-09-15

bharath7

said by JigglyWiggly:

45$ for a dpc3010, comcaststeve said he can activate it but can't guarantee that it will be stable or something. It is much cheaper than a used sb6121, or sb6141 or 5341j though.

Thanks for the link, do you have the same modem and if you do how is your experience with it.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 edits

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by bharath7:

said by JigglyWiggly:

Thanks for the link, do you have the same modem and if you do how is your experience with it.

Since Comcast is already placing the blame for your connection problems on your older SB5121, it might not be a good choice for you to try to use a modem purchased from eBay (and that by itself is a risky proposition) that is not officially supported (even if ComcastSteve pulls some strings to activate it). Here is a link to Comcast's official supported modem list: »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ (try to find the Cisco DPC3010 on that list).

Of course, after receiving my Caveat Emptor warning, YMMV.
Expand your moderator at work