how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

HopingHoping

@rogers.com

C'mon TekSavvy - Bring back your POTS offering

And HELP RID ME OF BELL!!!

It's now $45.33 a MONTH for a plain POTS line with Call Answer.

FORTY FIVE BUCKS A MONTH!!!

No, I will not do TekTalk. Sorry, VoIP isn't there yet and before you ask we use it on our PBX at work. Great there but it is in building and calls leave the building on FL1's. Any work to home VoIP generally sucks because all ISP experiences and services are different with our staff.

I NEED A RELIABLE SERVICE BUT I HATE BELL'S PRICING.

PLEASE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
You realize of course if TSI does bring back pots, most of what you will pay will still go to BHell anyway.
--
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled?? BHell... A Public Futility.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by AkFubar:

You realize of course if TSI does bring back pots, most of what you will pay will still go to BHell anyway.

It's still way cheaper than Bell's pricing.

To the OP, you can still get a new number or port from a non-Bell number.

I don't see Bell porting coming back...
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

plebel
Premium
join:2011-01-27
Ottawa, ON
reply to HopingHoping
Try Primus.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to HopingHoping
should be able to accept some orders soon but in a limited quantity. not sure how we'll manage it yet but it's in the works.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to HopingHoping

JeanInNepean

join:2012-09-19
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy TekTalk
·voip.ms
·Primus Talkbroad..
reply to HopingHoping
said by HopingHoping :

No, I will not do TekTalk. Sorry, VoIP isn't there yet and before you ask we use it on our PBX at work. Great there but it is in building and calls leave the building on FL1's. Any work to home VoIP generally sucks because all ISP experiences and services are different with our staff.

What do you mean VoIP isn't there yet?? I've been using VoIP for 8 years (I'm with Primus) and rarely had a problem other than a couple of service interruptions during large storms in Toronto and the occasional choppy call when downloading large files. I've even sent faxes through my VoIP line without problem. And the choppy calls are no longer a problem since I've upgraded my service from 3 to 15Mbps (either it's the service upgrade or TekSavvy does QoS properly, which my previous ISP didn't, or both).

The only problem with VoIP is that it's only as reliable as your internet service and your power supply. But with the money you'll save, you should be able to afford a good UPS and the dry-loop fees if you're on DSL.

Otherwise, there are other providers, but as someone else pointed out, you're not going to save all that much. My Primus POTS line is about 40$/month with 2 services.

QuantumPimp

join:2012-02-19
Reviews:
·voip.ms
said by JeanInNepean:

said by HopingHoping :

No, I will not do TekTalk. Sorry, VoIP isn't there yet and before you ask we use it on our PBX at work [snip]

What do you mean VoIP isn't there yet?? I've been using VoIP for 8 years (I'm with Primus) and rarely had a problem other than a couple of service interruptions during large storms in Toronto and the occasional choppy call when downloading large files. [snip]

I switched from a landline to VoIP in March ... the service has been perfect. I'll provide a review when I hit the one year anniversary but to date I am very satisfied.

To get near 100% reliability I also purchased a backup cellphone and a DECT to BlueTooth bridge that allows anyone in the household to place a call through VoIP or via cellphone if VoIP is down. So far no need to use the backup.

I've become addicted to call filtering which has reduced spam, on average, from over 30 calls per month to about 1. The features are amazing. I may configure an IVR to allow callers a choice in how to reach me. The features, no extra charge, are amazing.

It costs virtually nothing to run a VoIP line in parallel to a landline to see how well it works in your environment.

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to HopingHoping
i use gmail google phone and google is allowing knowing people do a hack to get a rela number so people can call...
i have yet to test but many have...

NOW landline prices
peterborough to ajax phne call to doctor bell phone at phone booth:5$ yes you hear dit for the 1st 3 minutes
non bell phone booth about half that

gmail google phone : FREE
if you want to see me or get hold a me then come visit otherwise have a nice day....

my experinece was such that bell breached 6 contracts wrongly i might add for a phone and even still owes me money on the month i paid in advance ....then they hijacked the line preventing me internet and phone access with TSI .....i threatened to sue and they allowed me so nicely to get internet access....

i wont ever be getting a phone with bell and rogers blew it as well.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
reply to HopingHoping
Heck EVEN on bell Thats your own fault.. There have Homephone basic for like 30 a month!
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

HopingHoping

@rogers.com
I have the plain old POTS service which is CHEAPER than the "Bell Home Phone". Don't go by the web page. That's their price for the first 3 months. Add 40% after that. Plus, you have to sign a contract. For me right now it is 30 days to cancel. I know that is BS because as long as you have the other carrier port it is effective the day Bell gets the order. By the way - NEVER EVER EVER CANCEL YOUR PHONE SERVICE BY YOURSELF OR YOU WILL LOSE YOUR NUMBER. Let the new provider port it for you.

YOU R WRONG

@142.20.20.x
reply to morisato
said by morisato:

Heck EVEN on bell Thats your own fault.. There have Homephone basic for like 30 a month!

Absolutely 100%WRONG-O

Bell Home Phone Lite with all BS charges and taxes = $30.02/month. Then it's $10.95 for Call Answer. Add in the 13% HST and it is $46.30. That's more expensive than the OPs payment.

awebber
Premium
join:2003-04-02
Gloucester, ON
reply to HopingHoping
I assumed OP's $45.33 was exclusive of HST.

Home Phone Lite with Call Answer is really expensive, though Home Phone Choice is a few cents cheaper than HPL+CA (and lets you add 4 other calling features).

=aw
--
Webber's occasional bargain blog: www.wwwebber.com

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by awebber:

I assumed....

I wondered about the tax too.

But either way, it's still FN BH#$ELL !

eots

join:2003-02-04
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

should be able to accept some orders soon but in a limited quantity. not sure how we'll manage it yet but it's in the works.

I don't understand why there's any limitation on porting Bell numbers when the CRTC requires Bell to allow it. Whatever the limitation is it seems ridiculous when no one else seems to have an issue with it.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
We are the ones that placed the stop-sell, not Bell.

NytOwl

join:2012-09-27
canada
said by TSI Andre:

Why?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
said by NytOwl:

said by TSI Andre:

Why?

Inquiring minds need to know !

Is THIS »Re: Bell to Teksavvy Home Phone... why ? ( my comments, 3rd post - scroll down, you wide-screen users )

sosumi

join:2011-09-28
Toronto
reply to NytOwl
said by NytOwl:

said by TSI Andre:

Why?

good luck getting an answer on that one. they have been avoiding to answer the question since the stop sell was impose back in May. Some BS excuse of "due to limitation of bell service platform"...

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to NytOwl
said by NytOwl:

said by TSI Andre:

Why?

This is a service that's not mandated by the CRTC. It was at one point but then it became fore born (not mandated anymore). We then went into an agreement with Bell to be able to continue to offer the service but they would only do it with certain limitations on how many subscribers we could signup that come directly from them. For a while it went unnoticed that we were signing up too many directly from Bell. The issue is now resolved however we do need to stay within a certain amount each month. We're still investigating to see how we can do this properly.

To note also is that this agreement was put in place prior to launching our TekTalk service. Today we would much rather people sign up for it instead of the traditional phone service but that being said, we have no intention of removing the Bell one.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
kudos:1
said by TSI Marc:

said by NytOwl:

said by TSI Andre:

Why?

This is a service that's not mandated by the CRTC. It was at one point but then it became fore born (not mandated anymore). We then went into an agreement with Bell to be able to continue to offer the service but they would only do it with certain limitations on how many subscribers we could signup that come directly from them. For a while it went unnoticed that we were signing up too many directly from Bell. The issue is now resolved however we do need to stay within a certain amount each month. We're still investigating to see how we can do this properly.

To note also is that this agreement was put in place prior to launching our TekTalk service. Today we would much rather people sign up for it instead of the traditional phone service but that being said, we have no intention of removing the Bell one.

Well, it only took 5 or 6 months, but it's nice to see that we finally have an answer of some sort.

By the way, if they have a problem with people ditching their service, then they should stop bumping their price at an average of $0.50/month or more! (Not that it's going to happen............)

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by grunze510:

Well, it only took 5 or 6 months, but it's nice to see that we finally have an answer of some sort.

By the way, if they have a problem with people ditching their service, then they should stop bumping their price at an average of $0.50/month or more! (Not that it's going to happen............)

THEY meaning B$ELL, yes ?

Call me 'Out of the (Local) Loop', but I fully cut the cord with BH#$ELL last December , and partially as far back as 2008, so I have not seen these hikes of which you speak.

eots

join:2003-02-04
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

said by NytOwl:

said by TSI Andre:

Why?

Since it was Bell who put the limit on ported numbers in place then this is typical Bell being anti competitive again. A lot of customers don't want VOIP for various reasons and if you're on DSL then you have to pay extra for a dry loop. I prefer to keep a land line and my phone number.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
I hear what you're saying. The alternative is that we don't sell it at all. It's really that simple. We can't force them to do anything on this front.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
reply to HopingHoping
Why bother? Most people want to keep their number and with the inability to transfer and so many limitations its at the point of being almost pointless to offer. I think this is why yak and the rest got out of reselling bell pots.

misternox

join:2009-12-17
canada
reply to HopingHoping
said by HopingHoping :

It's now $45.33 a MONTH for a plain POTS line with Call Answer.

Get yourself a cell phone and a voip line. It'll be cheaper and the reliability will be better.

Nagilum
Premium
join:2012-08-15
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc
Thanks for the update Marc! It's good to finally get some more information on this.

said by TSI Marc:

We're still investigating to see how we can do this properly.

Perhaps something as simple as a waiting list would work for people that want to transfer over? Just have them sign up in the Teksavvy portal.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
That is a fantastic idea. There was a conversation internally about adding this.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Andre

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
reply to HopingHoping
Is it only for pots transfers or is all pot line sign ups suspended?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to TSI Andre
said by TSI Andre:

That is a fantastic idea. There was a conversation internally about adding this.

Waiting lists can be gamed of course, but I think if people are required to put the phone number as well as their name the level of shenanigans should be minimal.

Communicating something understandable soonest is pretty important. I mean, maybe Marc doesn't even realize that what he just said is actually a revelation for us. If you guys had communicated that simple idea 6 months ago, a lot of dismay and anger would have been assuaged.
--
electronicsguru.ca/for_sale/Cablemodems