join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
kudos:1
reply to TSI Marc

Re: C'mon TekSavvy - Bring back your POTS offering

said by TSI Marc:

said by NytOwl:

said by TSI Andre:

We are the ones that placed the stop-sell, not Bell.

Why?

This is a service that's not mandated by the CRTC. It was at one point but then it became fore born (not mandated anymore). We then went into an agreement with Bell to be able to continue to offer the service but they would only do it with certain limitations on how many subscribers we could signup that come directly from them. For a while it went unnoticed that we were signing up too many directly from Bell. The issue is now resolved however we do need to stay within a certain amount each month. We're still investigating to see how we can do this properly.

To note also is that this agreement was put in place prior to launching our TekTalk service. Today we would much rather people sign up for it instead of the traditional phone service but that being said, we have no intention of removing the Bell one.

Well, it only took 5 or 6 months, but it's nice to see that we finally have an answer of some sort.

By the way, if they have a problem with people ditching their service, then they should stop bumping their price at an average of $0.50/month or more! (Not that it's going to happen............)

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
said by grunze510:

Well, it only took 5 or 6 months, but it's nice to see that we finally have an answer of some sort.

By the way, if they have a problem with people ditching their service, then they should stop bumping their price at an average of $0.50/month or more! (Not that it's going to happen............)

THEY meaning B$ELL, yes ?

Call me 'Out of the (Local) Loop', but I fully cut the cord with BH#$ELL last December , and partially as far back as 2008, so I have not seen these hikes of which you speak.

eots

join:2003-02-04
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

said by NytOwl:

said by TSI Andre:

We are the ones that placed the stop-sell, not Bell.

Why?

This is a service that's not mandated by the CRTC. It was at one point but then it became fore born (not mandated anymore). We then went into an agreement with Bell to be able to continue to offer the service but they would only do it with certain limitations on how many subscribers we could signup that come directly from them. For a while it went unnoticed that we were signing up too many directly from Bell. The issue is now resolved however we do need to stay within a certain amount each month. We're still investigating to see how we can do this properly.

To note also is that this agreement was put in place prior to launching our TekTalk service. Today we would much rather people sign up for it instead of the traditional phone service but that being said, we have no intention of removing the Bell one.

Since it was Bell who put the limit on ported numbers in place then this is typical Bell being anti competitive again. A lot of customers don't want VOIP for various reasons and if you're on DSL then you have to pay extra for a dry loop. I prefer to keep a land line and my phone number.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
I hear what you're saying. The alternative is that we don't sell it at all. It's really that simple. We can't force them to do anything on this front.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
reply to HopingHoping
Why bother? Most people want to keep their number and with the inability to transfer and so many limitations its at the point of being almost pointless to offer. I think this is why yak and the rest got out of reselling bell pots.

misternox

join:2009-12-17
canada
reply to HopingHoping
said by HopingHoping :

It's now $45.33 a MONTH for a plain POTS line with Call Answer.

Get yourself a cell phone and a voip line. It'll be cheaper and the reliability will be better.

Nagilum
Premium
join:2012-08-15
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc
Thanks for the update Marc! It's good to finally get some more information on this.

said by TSI Marc:

We're still investigating to see how we can do this properly.

Perhaps something as simple as a waiting list would work for people that want to transfer over? Just have them sign up in the Teksavvy portal.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
That is a fantastic idea. There was a conversation internally about adding this.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Andre

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
reply to HopingHoping
Is it only for pots transfers or is all pot line sign ups suspended?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to TSI Andre
said by TSI Andre:

That is a fantastic idea. There was a conversation internally about adding this.

Waiting lists can be gamed of course, but I think if people are required to put the phone number as well as their name the level of shenanigans should be minimal.

Communicating something understandable soonest is pretty important. I mean, maybe Marc doesn't even realize that what he just said is actually a revelation for us. If you guys had communicated that simple idea 6 months ago, a lot of dismay and anger would have been assuaged.
--
electronicsguru.ca/for_sale/Cablemodems

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
reply to Tx
said by Tx:

Is it only for pots transfers or is all pot line sign ups suspended?

It is only the very specific issue of transferring Bell land line phone numbers to Teksavvy's POTs service.

Specifically:
-->If you want to a landline service with a new phone number, no issue, just go ahead and order.
-->If you want to port in a never-Bell phone number to a landline service, no issue, just go ahead and order.
-->If you want to port in a number that has ever previously been (originated as, I guess) a Bell landline phone number, that is on a stop sell, but there may be a waiting list soon.
--
electronicsguru.ca/for_sale/Cablemodems

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Teddy Boom:

-->If you want to port in a number that has ever previously been (originated as, I guess) a Bell landline phone number, that is on a stop sell, but there may be a waiting list soon.

This part is weird... If you've ported it, you're not a customer of Bell anymore...

nabate

@rogers.com
reply to HopingHoping
any openings?? I'm interest...!!!

BrianV

join:2008-11-17
Long Sault, ON
kudos:1
reply to TSI Marc
Any update about internal plans for this?

This is remarkably anti-competitive.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
We have a commercial agreement with Bell that says we can only sign up a certain percentage of our overall signups from them.

We are free to sell again but we don't have a way to effectively stop selling mid month each month when we're likely to trip over the limit. So it's remained the way it is for now.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to HopingHoping
Isn't POTS reselling a CRTC tariff'd item? I guess you guys are doing this off-tariff?
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

MFido

join:2012-10-19
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to TSI Marc
Marc, just to be sure ... the Bell POTS phone service stop sell is lifted and we can subscribe now? New phone lines or transfers from Bell or other resellers?

Edit. I see Andre's post here who clarifies: »Teksavvy - Please Stop Telling Us That POTS is Available

Thanks

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Isn't POTS reselling a CRTC tariff'd item? I guess you guys are doing this off-tariff?

For a brief period it was. That's how we originally started into this. Then the CRTC changed their minds essentially and now it is no longer a tariff'd service. The only way is through a commercial agreement like we have.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

dbusguy

join:2003-03-03
Mississauga, ON
reply to HopingHoping
Nothing wrong with VoIP. I've been with Vonage since October 2007. Never had a problem. Used Vonage with Rogers cable internet, Teksavvy DSL and now Teksavvy Cable. Works excellent, good quality. Have UPS powering Vonage, router and modem.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to MFido
sorry, yeah the same still holds.. no change. we still dont have a way to track and implement stop sells mid-month.. every month.. there's basically no easy way to deal with this other then to maybe hand ball a few here and there..
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
What You need to do is Come up with a workaround, Port the Number to tektalk, THen Port it back to the landline p:) Thus Your not Porting from a bell landline to a teksavvy landline. Aka Loophole!
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
we dont endorse that.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to HopingHoping
For some reason, this reminds me of:

said by Celebrity Jeopardy :

Sean Connery: I've got to ask you about the Penis Mightier.

Alex Trebek: What? No. No, no, that is The Pen is Mightier.

Sean Connery: Gussy it up however you want, Trebek. What matters is does it work? Will it really mighty my penis, man?

Alex Trebek: It's not a product, Mr. Connery.

Sean Connery: Because I've ordered devices like that before - wasted a pretty penny, I don't mind telling you. And if The Penis Mightier works, I'll order a dozen.

Alex Trebek: It's not a Penis Mightier, Mr. Connery. There's no such thing!

Nicholas Cage: Wait, wait, wait.. are you selling Penis Mightiers?

Alex Trebek: No! No, I'm not.

Sean Connery: Well, you're sitting on a gold mine, Trebek!

--

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
LOL that's hilarious.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to HopingHoping
The Celebrity Jeopardy sketches are my favourite Saturday Night Live sketches of all time
--

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
+1

My favorite of all those is the "Things Trebek Sucks"!

malocite

join:2004-05-24
Hamilton, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to HopingHoping
I am still holding out for a celebrity Jeopardy with Sean Connery, Burt Reynolds and Watson the Computer..... the jokes write themselves... why oh why can't they make it happen Stupid actors with stupid schedules....

Gladman911

join:2002-12-07
Pickering, ON
reply to HopingHoping
Using magicjack plus without issue. Will miss the 911 service (which is bulletproof), but other than that, you can't beat $0/month unlimited NA for the first year. (hardware was $55 on sale).

videonerd

join:2007-01-21
reply to morisato
It's not a loophole, you just uh, didn't like the VoIP service. yeah.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to malocite
said by malocite:

I am still holding out for a celebrity Jeopardy with Sean Connery, Burt Reynolds and Watson the Computer..... the jokes write themselves... why oh why can't they make it happen Stupid actors with stupid schedules....

I'm sure Norm MacDonald and Darrell Hammond are free, but getting Will Ferrell back to do Trebek might be the toughest part...

Although you're right, the jokes do write themselves .

Back On Topic, I guess I'm glad I got TSI POTS...but I was a net-new subscriber, I didn't come from Bell.

EDIT: to the TSI Peeps, is it possible for me to change my phone number? I've run into the unfortunate incident where I've received a phone number from a deceased person...telling the CBC to do their homework and check on whether or not a person is alive or not...doesn't put any faith in the CBC...but that's another topic for another day.

If its possible if someone could let me know via PM, if Not...I'll just have to figure something out because its getting very annoying.