pil0t to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0

Re: [iO] New Guide Rollout

Got the new guide in Port Jefferson, NY

Joey Gooch
@optonline.net

Joey Gooch

Anon

Got new guide here in Panther Valley/Allamuchy NJ and it's much much much faster and much more user friendly. It's lightning on a NON DVR HD box (they were faster to begin with), and now on my HD DVR box - it's now at acceptable speeds. Finally IO is starting to grow some legs.
Pos_user
join:2004-08-17
East Hanover, NJ

Pos_user to pil0t

to pil0t
New guide hit Panther Valley/Allamuchy NJ - sorry for duplicate post.
Non DVR HD box is not fast as hell (it was always faster to begin with), but now the SA HD DVR is moving at more than acceptable speeds. Finallyi IO/OPT is starting to use the legs they were given.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to Joey Gooch

to Joey Gooch
My wife was impressed with the new guide we got this morning. To repeat though, the email in the OP was unrelated to this (as all boxes, SA & Samsung, need the reboots for the guide - which are done by CV for all boxes which were responding).
Pos_user
join:2004-08-17
East Hanover, NJ

Pos_user

Yes, agreed. That email was for unrelated informational purposes. I guess it was just a coincidence.

The DVR menu and on demand guide are the same old look - they should update that as well also . To be honest, when i'm at my mother in laws house, I love her fios guide. At first its confusing but once you get used to it, its awesome and you have a lot of features right on the main screen and it's very responsive...but OOL is getting there , one baby step at a time.

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0

said by Pos_user:

Yes, agreed. That email was for unrelated informational purposes. I guess it was just a coincidence.

Well at least Cablevision is keeping the overnight crews busy these days.

I would love for ShockTech to explain the process behind sending out software updates. You mention an acronym in the other topic (now locked). What does it mean? I always assumed there was some kind of device at each head-end that the boxes would attach to. Now that everything is digital, does that even necessitate the need for multiple head-ends anymore?
root
join:2002-12-11

root

said by Jmartz0:

Well at least Cablevision is keeping the overnight crews busy these days.

Tell me about it..
said by Jmartz0:

I would love for ShockTech to explain the process behind sending out software updates. You mention an acronym in the other topic (now locked). What does it mean? I always assumed there was some kind of device at each head-end that the boxes would attach to. Now that everything is digital, does that even necessitate the need for multiple head-ends anymore?

Ok so...there are multiple systems throughout the CV footprint (LI is split, CT, Westchester, NJ North, NJ South etc...there are more within this but you get the idea) Without going into too much detail...CV loads the appropriate UI files onto the DNCS (digital network control system) and carousel that each area reports/connects to.

A whitelist is present which specifies only certain boxes that get the update during this period. This is in case theres an issue and no customers are affected obviously. They then reboot a few head end boxes that are on this system and the boxes now see new files on the DNCS which loads onto the boxes. If all is good they exit a config file in the DNCS to switch over to the new UI data. Run a mass reboot script that reboots all the boxes on that DNCS and they see the new config file and download the new UI.

Hope this is what you were looking for...