share rss forum feed

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: Nvidia's FU to overclockers

The more and more I read, the happier I am that I never purchased one of these new 6 series cards.

No more voltage control? What the fuck are these people thinking? That's a complete deal beaker in my book. Period.

I'm seriously considering going with AMD this next time. They just need to step up their game a tad more to give Nvidia some real competition. I just read about the stats on the 7990 vs the gtx690. And unfortunately, it falls quite short.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
said by Ghastlyone:

I'm seriously considering going with AMD this next time. They just need to step up their game a tad more to give Nvidia some real competition. I just read about the stats on the 7990 vs the gtx690. And unfortunately, it falls quite short.

At what resolution? AMD has been owning the super-high-rez/multi-GPU efficiency scaling crown for quite a while now.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

At what resolution?

AMD holds an edge in the super-high-rez/multi-GPU efficiency scaling arena, which is what ultimately lead me to go with the 7970.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

said by Ghastlyone:

At what resolution? AMD has been owning the super-high-rez/multi-GPU efficiency scaling crown for quite a while now.

They tested both 1080p and 1600p. Not only does it fall short in FPS, it also uses a shit ton more power, and is louder...

»hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/···evil-13/

quote:
PowerColor's presentation is grand and the bundle is a nice touch, but while performance is exceptional at times, there's no getting round the fact that the Devil 13 is bigger, louder, less efficient and more susceptible to driver inconsistencies than the well-engineered GeForce GTX 690.
But yeah, I think I'm going to be going with a 7970 ghz edition in the near future. Because reading about that card, it's stomps the shit out of most the gtx 680's on the market.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
It's out of stock again, but this is the one you want (just set up auto-notify and camp your email, it will go OOS within hours):

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14202001

They get a shipment in every couple weeks.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
said by Krisnatharok:

It's out of stock again, but this is the one you want (just set up auto-notify and camp your email, it will go OOS within hours):

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14202001

They get a shipment in every couple weeks.

Yep, I'm either getting that one, or the 6gb version...

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14202005

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

The more and more I read, the happier I am that I never purchased one of these new 6 series cards.

No more voltage control? What the fuck are these people thinking? That's a complete deal beaker in my book. Period.

Nonsense. You can still do software voltage control on the 600 series. At least you can with EVGA cards. But this explains this thread on the EVGA forum. nVidia has banned voltmodding other than by software. If you want to curse anyone, curse MSI.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all software modding utilities have built-in hard limits?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
said by Krisnatharok:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all software modding utilities have built-in hard limits?

1175 mV for the 680GTX.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:3
I just OC'd my 7950 up to 1100mhz at 1175 mV last night with afterburner. you just turn off the built in hard limit. Not sure if their is an upper limit but it's not 1100mV.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

said by Krisnatharok:

1175 mV for the 680GTX.

GTX 670 also. hard cap at 1175mv.