uniqs
share rss forum feed

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to dogma

Re: I've gone and done it ... solar install

quote:
A.) ke4pym See Profile makes the up front $13K investment. Since the panels have a 25 year (300 Months) lifespan, it would take him the $43/Month to recoup the initial investment over that period. The investment itself performs. However, the
You should leave the depreciation scam out of it. After 25 years, the panels will not magically stop working. Nor will they automatically be replaced, and also will have some (albeit small) value left. They may be worth $0 in the "accounting sense" but in the real world they wills till have some value.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT

said by itguy05:

quote:
A.) ke4pym See Profile makes the up front $13K investment. Since the panels have a 25 year (300 Months) lifespan, it would take him the $43/Month to recoup the initial investment over that period. The investment itself performs. However, the
You should leave the depreciation scam out of it. After 25 years, the panels will not magically stop working. Nor will they automatically be replaced, and also will have some (albeit small) value left. They may be worth $0 in the "accounting sense" but in the real world they wills till have some value.

However things will fail. Panels will have to be replaced, inverters will have to be replaced. The warranty is worth nothing if the company is out of business. Realistically, how many electronic devices have you seen to last 25 years in harsh environments?

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

said by cowboyro:

However things will fail. Panels will have to be replaced, inverters will have to be replaced. The warranty is worth nothing if the company is out of business. Realistically, how many electronic devices have you seen to last 25 years in harsh environments?

I'll get back to you in 24 years, 6 months.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by ke4pym:

said by cowboyro:

I'll get back to you in 24 years, 6 months.

It will be sooner than that. Your roof will need replacing before then and the panels will have to be removed. 25 years is a stretch for a shingled roof.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

said by Jack_in_VA:

It will be sooner than that. Your roof will need replacing before then and the panels will have to be removed. 25 years is a stretch for a shingled roof.

Just put a brand new, 30 year roof on last Tuesday. See you in 24 years, 6 months

The shingles under the panels outta last a WHOLE lot longer since the sun will never shine on them.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by ke4pym:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Just put a brand new, 30 year roof on last Tuesday. See you in 24 years, 6 months

The shingles under the panels outta last a WHOLE lot longer since the sun will never shine on them.

It's the ones around the cells you will have to address. Are you planning on just replacing those and leaving the shingles under the cells? Even if it is touted as being a 30 year roof we all know how that works out.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

said by Jack_in_VA:

It's the ones around the cells you will have to address. Are you planning on just replacing those and leaving the shingles under the cells? Even if it is touted as being a 30 year roof we all know how that works out.

On the main back roof of the house, no shingles will be (should be) exposed. The garage/bonus room, well, that's another story. The north facing roof will have no panels on it. If money were no object, I'd put them there, though. Just to honk off my HOA - cause they can't do anything about it and stuff.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to cowboyro

said by cowboyro:

Realistically, how many electronic devices have you seen to last 25 years in harsh environments?

Would you consider civil aircraft and urban transit vehicles harsh environments? I do, and I've personally seen a significant number of 25+ year old electronic assemblies perform flawlessly and continue to operate at their original specification.

A better question would be, is anything built in the last 10-15 years realistically going to last that long? Ha!