Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues

Re: Being lazy: laptop suggestion for desktop replacement

said by elwoodblues:

It's a blanket statement, because everywhere I've worked and bought Dell equipment it's held true. I buy Dell because enterprise support is excellent and they have a fantastic website for drivers and updates , that is unmatched with the other vendors.

The problem is that if you buy your own drives you've pretty much murdered a lot of that excellent enterprise support to begin with. There's a reason they charge a lot for their drives, and it's not just because they're enterprise-grade drives.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

The thing was that the drives are the same, so Dell buys a Samsung/Seagate et al drive sticks and they are OEM'd to Dell (based on the serial #).

No I don't murder that support,I can troubleshoot just about any problem and if it's a Hard drive I'll deal with it.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
Wasn't DSLr's infamous spring 2012 multi-week outage as a result of Dell gear failing in spectacular fashion (though not having a proper backup also helped a lot).

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

The thing was that the drives are the same, so Dell buys a Samsung/Seagate et al drive sticks and they are OEM'd to Dell (based on the serial #).

No I don't murder that support,I can troubleshoot just about any problem and if it's a Hard drive I'll deal with it.

It doesn't matter. If you have an onsite agreement with Dell and a tech shows up only to see that you're using non-"Dell" drives, he'll wash his hands of any issue even remotely related to the storage system and not only will you be on your own to figure it out, but you'll be the one paying for the replacement drive(s) while waiting for an RMA to return.

That's why you pay more for Dell hard drives. It's more than just the drive. It's the entire service and support. When I was doing IT and we were Dell authorized we would never put our own drives into a system unless it was a) our own b) the customer signed off and knew what they were getting into.
Gone

Gone to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Wasn't DSLr's infamous spring 2012 multi-week outage as a result of Dell gear failing in spectacular fashion (though not having a proper backup also helped a lot).

That's what backups for for. It was a failure on many levels.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
Are you kidding me. They wanted 75k for a 16tb SAN, I spent about 15K for over 45TB on a DAS that I then turned (several of them) into a NAS using Freenas.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

Are you kidding me. They wanted 75k for a 16tb SAN, I spent about 15K for over 45TB on a DAS that I then turned (several of them) into a NAS using Freenas.

Right, and you're paying a premium for the support, not the hardware.

I could care less what you do, but as a former IT professional I consider it a matter of ethics if you are deploying hardware to clients and not making them aware that the way you are deploying the machine may have an affect on the warranty and service they're purchasing to go with it.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by elwoodblues:

Right, and you're paying a premium for the support, not the hardware.

I could care less what you do, but as a former IT professional I consider it a matter of ethics if you are deploying hardware to clients and not making them aware that the way you are deploying the machine may have an affect on the warranty and service they're purchasing to go with it.

To his credit, he was doing what he was told. I know in his last position the mantra was to "find a cheaper way no matter what".

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

There's nothing wrong with that at all, the customer just needs full disclosure and needs to be informed that there are caveats to doing it the way elwood has been doing it. Speed, quality and price. Pick two.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Gone:

There's nothing wrong with that at all, the customer just needs full disclosure and needs to be informed that there are caveats to doing it the way elwood has been doing it. Speed, quality and price. Pick two.

There was no "customer" it was his employer.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

Clients give me a budget and I work with that. When I worked for someone, same thing, I have a budget and I work with that.

I'm very resourceful and can find many ways to save money.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Like I said, that's fine. People just need to know what they're getting into.