Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

[iPhone] Purple lens flare: that is normal says Apple

After saying it was not normal, finally they say, yes, it is. The equivalent of "you are just holding it wrong". Yes, you do not normally want flares in your photos, but sometimes you do.

»gizmodo.com/5947972/apple-acknow···it-wrong

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

From the sapphire glass...perhaps it could be "patched" with a processing software update.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network

said by skeechan:

From the sapphire glass...perhaps it could be "patched" with a processing software update.

I don't know. This whole sapphire glass purple tint thing seems made up. My watch crystal is sapphire glass and I don't see any tint at all at any angle in any light. The watch face is white with a bit of linen texture. I don't see any coloration.
--
"Politicians are employees of ours – and if somebody does not do the job, we gotta let ’em go" - Clint Eastwood. Vote for America, vote for Romney-Ryan in 2012.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1

said by Badonkadonk:

said by skeechan:

I don't know. This whole sapphire glass purple tint thing seems made up. My watch crystal is sapphire glass and I don't see any tint at all at any angle in any light. The watch face is white with a bit of linen texture. I don't see any coloration.

One of my watches with a sapphire face does have a purple tint but it's the anti-scratch coating that causes the purple look at certain angles. Regardless, if the new camera lens cover is putting a purple tint on photos then it's a problem.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo
Expand your moderator at work

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Nezmo

Re: [iPhone] Purple lens flare: that is normal says Apple

Is that for extra protection? My understanding is that sapphire crystals can only be scratched by diamonds. I cracked my crystal once after whacking it really hard on a metal door frame, but I don't think I ever scratched it in the 15 years prior to that.
--
"Politicians are employees of ours – and if somebody does not do the job, we gotta let ’em go" - Clint Eastwood. Vote for America, vote for Romney-Ryan in 2012.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
reply to Nezmo

It's not the sapphire, it's some effect of the CCD they're using in this camera.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Badonkadonk

said by Badonkadonk:

Is that for extra protection? My understanding is that sapphire crystals can only be scratched by diamonds. I cracked my crystal once after whacking it really hard on a metal door frame, but I don't think I ever scratched it in the 15 years prior to that.

I stated that wrong, sorry. The coating on my watch is anti-glare. You are correct, sapphire crystal needs no anti-scratch coating as the point of the sapphire crystal is it's virtually scratch-proof.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to bobrk

That's what I think also. I think it's an attempt to deflect. Regardless of the source of the tint issue, it's a problem that Apple needs to address. Although it sounds like they have already--in their own special way.
--

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to donoreo

So the iPhone 5 is the Diana of camera phones? Everything I've read so far leads me to believe the 4s is the better choice.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

iPhone 5 is lighter, thinner, better color depth, brighter, absurdly faster, and feels more natural after awhile. It was big at first now it makes sense.

However if you focus on the sun, you will get a purple lens flare.

I would still use a 5 over a 4S. Just don't get lost.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

Zyncotl
Zed X
Premium
join:2002-09-13
Wayne, MI

said by Mike:

iPhone 5 is lighter, thinner, better color depth, brighter, absurdly faster, and feels more natural after awhile. It was big at first now it makes sense.

However if you focus on the sun, you will get a purple lens flare.

I would still use a 5 over a 4S. Just don't get lost.

This.. and if you get lost... you could always stop, get out of the car, instruct your wife to drive to the nearest gas station and ask for directions, come pick you up and then try to decipher what she tells you even though it'll be completely wrong... or ask siri and get the same result in less time.

Apple made Siri more lifelike. No man can understand her.
--
I'd take the time to insult your intelligence but you probably wouldn't get it.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to donoreo

New KB article on it

»support.apple.com/kb/TS4436?view···le=en_US

jtimson

join:2000-08-10
Tuckahoe, NY
reply to donoreo

I don't think they are "blaming" the user, I believe the point is the angle at which the camera is being held can create the effect. I tested the 5 against a 4s and was able to get the purple haze on both, granted it was much more pronounced on the 5. The bottom line was, in an attempt to re-create the problem, I wound up with a bunch of pictures I would have deleted anyway. When you consider the pictures that most people take with a phone (out of focus, motion blur, too light, too dark) is this really an issue? This is also something that can be fixed very easily in an image manipulation program, since most people adjust for at least brightness or contrast on shots they want to print or keep.
--
"You can never tell how deep a puddle is from the top" Dennis the Menace

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

So, you're saying then that purple fringing is no big deal and Apple got it right and that the extra work a person has to put into making the picture look good is also acceptable? Interesting point of view.
--
I'm hoping for a change. Vote Romney/Ryan 2012.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to donoreo

Total BS! We've had many small digital cameras both freestanding and in phones that didn't have this problem. As a matter of fact the camera in my wife's old Blackberry Pearl took excellent pictures and never had this problem. Apple is depending too much on hype and name instead of technology to sell their products these days!

The Geezer
Premium
join:2004-12-28
43.3Á
reply to donoreo

Purple flare between light and dark margins is common in all digital photography to some extent. My Canon SLR has it, but I take my pictures in RAW format and as such the purple fringing can easily be filtered out when translating to other formats.

Apple could easily have incorporated a purple fringe filter in its iOS6 software and perhaps (hopefully) the next upgrade will have it.
--
Rogers (Ericcson) Rocket Hub, Apple Intel iMac, OSX 10.6

jtimson

Tuckahoe, NY
reply to Badonkadonk

No, I'm saying that when you shoot under certain circumstances there will be artifacts or aberrations in many cases. If it's a shot worth keeping there are some simple tweaks to tone it down. There are limitations and idiosyncrasies with all cameras and optics, just because a camera has high megapixels doesn't mean it's the perfect camera for all situations, shooting at angles to a bright light source can be tricky, if it wasn't purple halo, the whites might be blown or the faces might be in too much shadow rendering the picture unusable. The iPhone 5 isn't a perfect camera, oh wait, it's a phone, never mind...
--

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to The Geezer

said by The Geezer:

Purple flare between light and dark margins is common in all digital photography to some extent. My Canon SLR has it, but I take my pictures in RAW format and as such the purple fringing can easily be filtered out when translating to other formats.

Apple could easily have incorporated a purple fringe filter in its iOS6 software and perhaps (hopefully) the next upgrade will have it.

What you are describing is chromatic aberration and is different.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to jtimson

said by jtimson:

No, I'm saying that when you shoot under certain circumstances there will be artifacts or aberrations in many cases. If it's a shot worth keeping there are some simple tweaks to tone it down. There are limitations and idiosyncrasies with all cameras and optics, just because a camera has high megapixels doesn't mean it's the perfect camera for all situations, shooting at angles to a bright light source can be tricky, if it wasn't purple halo, the whites might be blown or the faces might be in too much shadow rendering the picture unusable. The iPhone 5 isn't a perfect camera, oh wait, it's a phone, never mind...

Yeah, yeah, I understand all of that. I've had SLRs since I was young. My GS3 doesn't do what the vaunted iPhone 5 does and neither do the HTC Amaze phones the rest of the family has and neither did my old Blackberry.

My point is that being an apologist for Apple's screw-ups is amusing.
--

jtimson

Tuckahoe, NY

Who's apologizing? I happen to think the iPhone 5 is a huge disappointment, maps sucks, the earbuds are a joke, the new Lightning port obsoletes scores of accessories. I just think this purple halo thing isn't what everyone makes it out to be. Hey you like your Samsung, great! I happy you have a device that does everything you want. So why do you care whether the iPhone has an issue with its camera. The best way to show your displeasure to Apple is to not buy their products and it looks like you have done that already.
--

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

Phones are always in play. Since the company pays, I choose what I want. IP5 was a consideration for a bit. So as long as these brands are in play for me to possibly purchase, I comment.

Personally, I'd rather have had the Lumia 920, but I couldn't wait any longer. The GS3 is okay.
--

jtimson

Tuckahoe, NY

Fair enough, good luck!

Expand your moderator at work