uniqs
« Info"New" company »
This is a sub-selection from Interesting
Terabit
join:2008-12-19

Terabit to trebzon

to trebzon

Re: Interesting

The problem I have with MetroPCS and any budget carrier is that they seem to confuse unlimited for value. Rather than having various tiers, for various types of users, they lock themselves into securing the person who wants unlimited only.

The value carriers around the world on the other hand, including Tmobile's divisions abroad, seem to get that:

1. Not everyone wants or needs unlimited
2. Offering unlimited only serves to congest the network and negatively impact service quality.

Page Plus is probably the only value provider in America that seems to get it. Too bad, they're not expanding and buying up these companies.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

hottboiinnc4

Page Plus is NOT an actual carrier. They do not own anything in terms of a network. Instead they're one of the OLDEST MVNOs on Verizon Wireless. They've been around since paging and sold that off and went total resell of cellular. They're based in Holland, Ohio (aka a bub of Toledo).
Terabit
join:2008-12-19

Terabit

Yes I get that they're a MVNO. What matters is that they are the only Wireless provider in America that offers plans that many people want. Some only use $12.95 per month. Therefore, why would they want unlimited everything for $50 on MetroPCS.

For example, I pay a fraction for my phone service using CallCentric and the quality is excellent. That is what I want, as I don't need unlimited everything. Apart from PP, which wireless carrier provides the equivalent service?
tanzam75
join:2012-07-19

tanzam75

These people are in the minority. There are far more people going wireless-only than those using BYOD VoIP providers. On DSLReports, it sure feels like it's the other way around, but DSLReports is a pretty self-selecting group.

Not only are they a minority, but they're a low-revenue minority. So they're even less consequential in terms of revenue. Therefore, the carriers aren't really that worried about losing these customers -- even if it's to MVNOs on their own network.

(Of course, there's also the problem of wireless being an oligopoly. In an oligopoly situation, nobody wants to launch a price war.)
« Info"New" company »
This is a sub-selection from Interesting