telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Darknessfall

MVM

to Darknessfall

Re: [Connectivity] Mototola SB 6141

This morning, Amazon shows the SB6141 back in stock by only one seller (Miakota) for $109.95 plus $4.99 shipping.

Must be a hot item now that it's finally on Comcast's approved DOCSIS devices list.

FarmerBob
join:2000-12-21
Littleton, CO

FarmerBob

Now up to $114.95 with free shipping. Guess I should have gotten it when it was $97. I'll stick with the Ubee and get the Netgear R6300 first, while the 6141 wavers in price. Then pick it up when the price stabilizes. Only 6 left though.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

You are going to like that modem when you do get it.
Mine has been running for two months without any problems.
I know that doesn't say much longevity wise, but if it's like all other Motorola products I have owned, it will be like that for many years.

FarmerBob
Littleton, CO

FarmerBob

I was looking at the 6141 and the Zoom 5341J. Any insights?

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Either option should go for you well. I always will look at the popularity and how well known the company is. Alot of people know Motorola Sufboard modems, seems very synonymous with cable internet and reliability. Zoom modems I'm sure are the same though I wouldn't know from personal experience.

FarmerBob
Littleton, CO

FarmerBob

Back in the Dino Days, Zoom was the leader in Dial-up. I was looking at it before the SB because it had all the notoriety before the SB caught on. These days it's hard to tell unless you get one and try it. That can be expensive and troublesome.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021 to FarmerBob

Premium Member

to FarmerBob
I tried the Zoom 5341J modem for a few days then it crapped out and I had to send it back.
That doesn't mean all Zoom modems are bad, I just happen to get a bad one. I did notice the SNR on all 8 channels were a little better with the Zoom, but not by enough to make any difference.
I went to the SB6141 as soon as it was on the accepted list, mainly because of my experience with Motorola products over the years.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

2 edits

telcodad to FarmerBob

MVM

to FarmerBob
said by FarmerBob:

I was looking at the 6141 and the Zoom 5341J. Any insights?

One major difference between them is that the Motorola SB6141 is built around the TI/Intel Puma 5 (TNETC4840) chipset (»www.ti.com/lit/ml/spat18 ··· t181.pdf and »www.electronicspecifier. ··· tion.asp), while the Zoom 5341J modem uses the Broadcom BCM3382 (»www.broadcom.com/product ··· /BCM3382 and »www.broadcom.com/press/r ··· =s434809) chipset.

Depending on the particular signal conditions at your home, one modem may perform somewhat better than the other.