share rss forum feed

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JohnInSJ

Re: [WIN8] Windows 8 --- What benifits over W7-64?

said by JohnInSJ:

said by workablob:

But you are very correct. Windows 8 on the desktop is going to plummet like a stone just like Microsoft Flight did, as I predicted.
»Microsoft Flight Gimme A Break

Been using it since it became available on MSDN on several machines. It takes about 10 minutes of actual use to get used to the differences. Doubtful any plummeting will happen. People will do what they always do - get the new OS when they get new hardware (and some pretty nifty hardware will be coming out for this OS) while corps will do their normal three year cycle, so they'll skip win8 and continue their slow grind to win7 (HP will be getting there THIS year, according to the handful of folks I know that still work there. Wow) and a smaller group of people will upgrade. Maybe more with the low upgrade price, but more is still not many.

Plummet was a bit extreme.

I believe 8 will be as successful on the PC especially corp PC as Vista.

I had no problem with Vista and 7 was basically Vista done properly.

Our company is in the process of deploying 7 to get rid of XP so we milk the OS for as long as possible.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5

said by workablob:

Plummet was a bit extreme.

I believe 8 will be as successful on the PC especially corp PC as Vista.

I had no problem with Vista and 7 was basically Vista done properly.

Our company is in the process of deploying 7 to get rid of XP so we milk the OS for as long as possible.

Dave

I agree. 8 does have advanced deployment, volume, and manageability enhancements over past versions that may be very attractive. I would fully expect much settling of dust before reputable CIO's look at possibilities of upgrading, though. It may be possible that "9" is released before the cycle comes, much like 7 and Vista's proximity sealed Vista's fate in the corporate world.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix