how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Glen T

join:2003-11-03
BC

[BC] Shaw bate and switch

This is typical. My old Shaw High-Speed plan had been stable at $45/month for years. Then it started to get bumped up at frequent intervals until I was paying $52/month last spring.

Then I noticed that Shaw had introduced a new High Speed 10 plan that had more speed and more bandwith for $45 (naturally, they didn't tell me). So I phoned them up in April and said, 'hey, why the heck am I paying $7 more for less speed?" and they said, "We can put you on the new plan, no problem." Good deal.

That lasted for one billing period. I got a letter in the snail mail today that said my High Speed 10 plan was going up $5 per month, effective Nov. 1. Not only that, but they announced that I was no longer receiving paper billing (which I did not authorize).

Way to go, Shaw. Bate and switch. And because I'm a Shaw Direct customer, there are no bundles for me.

I'm really sick of this pricing BS. Canadian ISPs continue to buck world trends by charging Canadians more, not less, for services that are a fraction of our costs elsewhere.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

Shaw is pretty bad at raising their prices.

I don't consider it a bait & switch. It's pretty unlikely a customer service rep is informed of price increases a month in advance.

Glen T

BC

said by zod5000:

I don't consider it a bait & switch. It's pretty unlikely a customer service rep is informed of price increases a month in advance.

I call it bate and switch because Shaw just introduced the new plans and new pricing earlier this year.

Do you think that their revenue planning is so bad, that someone at Shaw actually said, 'holly crap, we're losing money on EXO' last quarter?

No. What I think is that they decided that they have enough of a speed edge over Telus that they can raise prices to what the market will bear. Its introductory pricing without calling it that. It may have preempted some customes from switching to Telus (which is what I had been considering).

Another irony is that my Shaw Business 50 connection at work is actually slower than my High Speed 10 connection at home (for downloads). Only the upload is faster (which is why we got it at work).

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2

said by Glen T:

Another irony is that my Shaw Business 50 connection at work is actually slower than my High Speed 10 connection at home (for downloads). Only the upload is faster (which is why we got it at work).

Personally... I would call Shaw until your Business 50 was faster than your HS10...

Glen T

BC

said by ravenchilde:

Personally... I would call Shaw until your Business 50 was faster than your HS10...

Yeah, its interesting that when I run Shaw's speed test, it always sits right up at the top of the 50 range, but real world performance on downloads of the same file (from our website) at home and work show transfer rates about the same or a little worse for the Business 50 connection. Uploads are great, though.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Glen T

I still don't consider it a bate and switch. Bate and switch would of been to lure you in by offering the bb10 package at $45, then when you call in they say they don't have it anymore, and try to upsell you on bb50 for $80/month. That is bait and switch.

What happened to you was an untimely price increase.

I do completely agree with you that Shaw's price increases are getting out of control. You can definitely tell they aren't as worried about Telus' competition anymore. Telus' top speed is 25mbps and they can't offer it it in alot of areas (including mine). Once you look past telus' 6 month intro deals, their TV prices aren't any better than Shaw's either.

The only reason we got all the new broadband packages in the first place was because Telus wasn't enforcing caps at the same time Shaw tried to switch to UBB. Competition kept Shaw a little honest. Telus has backed off and now Shaw is aggressively raising rates again.

Glen T

BC

Fair enough - but you get the point. This was an 11% increase out of the blue, with no notice.

I'm getting tired of being jerked around, having been a Shaw customer since the testing days of Rogers Wave. If Shaw doesn't come up with a retention program, then I'm moving on.

ilianame

join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC
kudos:1

FYI, they do have a retention program, however the outcome will depend on what you say, and results may vary.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to Glen T

Whether you feel you were screwed around or not, the "competitors" are just as bad, if not worse, especially if you want to compare the service they provide. My final decision was Shaw is the lesser of the evils.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Glen T

Oh, and bend over and take it like a man, like the rest of it. Complaining won't get you anywhere, we've all tried. The CRTC is a load of crap and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Glen T

BC

said by rustydusty:

Oh, and bend over and take it like a man, like the rest of it. Complaining won't get you anywhere, we've all tried. The CRTC is a load of crap and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Well, if they're going to screw me (again) I'm going to make some noise first. And, from my experience, complaining DOES get you somewhere. Not every time, but often enough that it IS worth the effort.

My advice to you is, don't just pull down your pants, roll over and close your eyes...

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Glen T

Complaining will not get you anywhere with Shaw. What's your Paypal, I will send you the $7 a month so I don't even have to listen to you.

Glen T

BC

said by rustydusty:

Complaining will not get you anywhere with Shaw. What's your Paypal, I will send you the $7 a month so I don't even have to listen to you.

You don't have to listen to me now. Stop reading this thread.

But I'll take the $7 per month...

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Glen T

I'm a regular here, and we don't need more women stopping in once every few years to post about negativity.

Glen T

BC

said by rustydusty:

I'm a regular here, and we don't need more women stopping in once every few years to post about negativity.

Oh, I see. You work for Shaw.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Glen T

Hell no, I do contract IT services. I do happen to love my Shaw Biz line at home, though.

Glen T

BC

1 edit

That's cool. But I think I'm not the only one who is PO'd about this. An 11% increase in home ISP costs is not justifiable, especially not in this economy.

Did your business income increase by 11% this year?

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Glen T

I understand the frustration about the increase, however there's much larger things in life to worry about. Why I offered to help you out, since that's a minor issue compared to other things in life, health being one.

My bill is set to auto on my bank account so I couldn't tell you. I glance at the bill once in a while, mostly look at usage more than anything.

Glen T

BC

said by rustydusty:

My bill is set to auto on my bank account so I couldn't tell you. I glance at the bill once in a while, mostly look at usage more than anything.

Well, then I wish you continued financial success.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Glen T

Prioritize your life, you will realize there's more to life than your current broadband bill .

bucko2012

@sasknet.sk.ca

give this guy a break, he need to let shaw know this is bs of a company to run. so if you want to show off your shaw skills to him so be it but he doesn't have to put up with shaw and you giving him the life skills class. lol

have a god day, Glen T

Glen T

BC

said by bucko2012 :

have a god day, Glen T

Will do!

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Glen T

One person, Shaw laughs at you for trying, though. Even 100 people and Shaw won't do anything. Save your breath, it's not even worth trying to fight. You are nothing but a weed in their nice green lawn of wealth .

spock

join:2012-07-08

Glen check out teksavvy.com . I'm paying 47$ for 25/3 and I am very happy. This is a DSL connection but if you live in Vancouver you can get a 25/2.5 cable connection for $39.95

Glen T

BC
reply to rustydusty

said by rustydusty:

One person, Shaw laughs at you for trying, though. Even 100 people and Shaw won't do anything. Save your breath, it's not even worth trying to fight. You are nothing but a weed in their nice green lawn of wealth .

For someone who espouses that life is too short to waste time on $7 a month, you sure are wasting a lot of time replying to my posts. What's it to you if I choose not to accept an 11% increase from Shaw?

Glen T

BC
reply to spock

said by spock:

Glen check out teksavvy.com . I'm paying 47$ for 25/3 and I am very happy. This is a DSL connection but if you live in Vancouver you can get a 25/2.5 cable connection for $39.95

Sounds interesting. I'll look into it. Thanks.

spock

join:2012-07-08
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to bucko2012

said by bucko2012 :

give this guy a break, he need to let shaw know this is bs of a company to run. so if you want to show off your shaw skills to him so be it but he doesn't have to put up with shaw and you giving him the life skills class. lol

have a good day, Glen T

Yes I have to agree, lately Rusty's posts have mostly been about his l33t computers skills and about how great shaw is.

Glen was venting on this forum about what he feels are unfair rate increases by shaw. This is what this forum is about. Everywhere I look someone has there hand out demanding more money. If its not BC Hydro or BC Ferries it will be your ISP. No one I know are getting huge pay raises anytime soon. Good for Glen in speaking out. I hope more people start standing up and tell the corporate greed machines to (insert applicable verb here) off.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Glen T

Lately I've seen a lot of random people posting in this forum crying, and unfortunately my kleenex stash is at an all time low. Or maybe it's my lack of sympathy for people crying over $7 a month. To save that $7, how about don't go to Mcdonalds for that big mac once and you're back to even.

If you are getting that butt hurt over the price increase, please cancel your Shaw and never post in this forum again. For us regulars, we deal with enough negative posts, this is yet just another one. Please switch to Telus, and go cry your precious tears in their forum. I'll even post the direct link to their forum, just incase you get lost on your way.

»Telus

Enjoy ladies, have a wonderful thanksgiving. May your weekend bring lots more crying and foot stomping.

prairiesky

join:2008-12-08
canada
kudos:2
reply to Glen T

he's right, it's an untimely price increase, not a bait and switch.

They also gave you the 30 days that's required.

Maybe the reason you get the same download from your server is that your server doesn't have enough upload

ilianame

join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to rustydusty

said by rustydusty:

Lately I've seen a lot of random people posting in this forum crying, and unfortunately my kleenex stash is at an all time low. Or maybe it's my lack of sympathy for people crying over $7 a month. To save that $7, how about don't go to Mcdonalds for that big mac once and you're back to even.

If you are getting that butt hurt over the price increase, please cancel your Shaw and never post in this forum again. For us regulars, we deal with enough negative posts, this is yet just another one. Please switch to Telus, and go cry your precious tears in their forum. I'll even post the direct link to their forum, just incase you get lost on your way.

»Telus

Enjoy ladies, have a wonderful thanksgiving. May your weekend bring lots more crying and foot stomping.