Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy TekTalk
·voip.ms
·Primus Talkbroad..
reply to HopingHoping

Re: C'mon TekSavvy - Bring back your POTS offering

said by HopingHoping :

No, I will not do TekTalk. Sorry, VoIP isn't there yet and before you ask we use it on our PBX at work. Great there but it is in building and calls leave the building on FL1's. Any work to home VoIP generally sucks because all ISP experiences and services are different with our staff.

What do you mean VoIP isn't there yet?? I've been using VoIP for 8 years (I'm with Primus) and rarely had a problem other than a couple of service interruptions during large storms in Toronto and the occasional choppy call when downloading large files. I've even sent faxes through my VoIP line without problem. And the choppy calls are no longer a problem since I've upgraded my service from 3 to 15Mbps (either it's the service upgrade or TekSavvy does QoS properly, which my previous ISP didn't, or both).

The only problem with VoIP is that it's only as reliable as your internet service and your power supply. But with the money you'll save, you should be able to afford a good UPS and the dry-loop fees if you're on DSL.

Otherwise, there are other providers, but as someone else pointed out, you're not going to save all that much. My Primus POTS line is about 40$/month with 2 services.

QuantumPimp

join:2012-02-19
Reviews:
·voip.ms
said by JeanInNepean:

said by HopingHoping :

No, I will not do TekTalk. Sorry, VoIP isn't there yet and before you ask we use it on our PBX at work [snip]

What do you mean VoIP isn't there yet?? I've been using VoIP for 8 years (I'm with Primus) and rarely had a problem other than a couple of service interruptions during large storms in Toronto and the occasional choppy call when downloading large files. [snip]

I switched from a landline to VoIP in March ... the service has been perfect. I'll provide a review when I hit the one year anniversary but to date I am very satisfied.

To get near 100% reliability I also purchased a backup cellphone and a DECT to BlueTooth bridge that allows anyone in the household to place a call through VoIP or via cellphone if VoIP is down. So far no need to use the backup.

I've become addicted to call filtering which has reduced spam, on average, from over 30 calls per month to about 1. The features are amazing. I may configure an IVR to allow callers a choice in how to reach me. The features, no extra charge, are amazing.

It costs virtually nothing to run a VoIP line in parallel to a landline to see how well it works in your environment.