Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

markofmayhem to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ

Re: [WIN8] Windows 8 --- What benifits over W7-64?

said by Glen T:

said by dave:

Yeah, yeah, I get all that - that's why I said "there is a precision problem" or words to that effect.

What I'm talking about is the sheer ludditeism exhibited here, the notion that there can never be anything better than what we have today. This is not a claim that Windows 8 is better than Windows 7. I don't plan to upgrade existing systems myself.

My topic was 'I don't see why everyone assumes it's "keyboard and mouse" versus "touch screen"'.

The topic is if there is a benefit in Win 8 over Win 7. If we all agree that the interface formerly known as Metro is the main benefit,

We do not all agree. There is something deeply concerning with the malicious way advertising revenue is collected on tech sites in 2012. If you wish to make money, then you must repeat the same negativity, it FEEDS off of each other. Eventually, it dies off and truth emerges, sometimes it is too late (Vista for example, where people claimed it used more memory because Microsoft stopped reporting "Cached" memory as "Free" in XP and begain reported it as "USED" in Vista, in 7 it is reported as "Cached"... the utter stupidity on display was phenominal).

There is more to Windows 8 than Metro, unless limiting Windows 8 to Metro only helps funnel stupidity towards staying on topic through 7 2-paragraph pages to escalate ad-revenue on blogs and "tech" review sites. Then I agree, AdSense, Windows 8's only benefit is the infamous Metro.
said by JohnInSJ:

said by workablob:

But you are very correct. Windows 8 on the desktop is going to plummet like a stone just like Microsoft Flight did, as I predicted.
»Microsoft Flight Gimme A Break

Been using it since it became available on MSDN on several machines. It takes about 10 minutes of actual use to get used to the differences. Doubtful any plummeting will happen. People will do what they always do - get the new OS when they get new hardware (and some pretty nifty hardware will be coming out for this OS) while corps will do their normal three year cycle, so they'll skip win8 and continue their slow grind to win7 (HP will be getting there THIS year, according to the handful of folks I know that still work there. Wow) and a smaller group of people will upgrade. Maybe more with the low upgrade price, but more is still not many.

Just like every other Windows release, which EVERY SINGLE ONE was predicted to "flop", "bomb", "be remembered as the release that killed Microsoft" (don't believe me? look it up, from 1.0 to XP, from NT 4 to Windows 7; every release was the "worst in human history" leading up to release):

after a year or so, the single entity causing all of the hatred will not get advertising clicks/reads and new topics will emerge, some of them with positive queues, most likely focused on what was improved/upgraded/added under the hood of Windows 8 compared to previous versions.

Such as:

AppLocker
BitLocker
BranchCache
Connection Manager
Client Hyper V
eDrive
Security Auditing
Smart Cards
Folder Redirection, Offline Files, and Roaming User Profiles
Windows Power Shell
Windows To Go
More effecient multimedia
Smaller footprint = older equipment usable?
Anand on DirectX 11.1 and WDDM 1.2
WDDM 1.2 enhancements

Exhaustive, mind-blowing, link-athon for WDDM 1.2, GDXI 1.2
said by Wikipedia :

Windows 8 includes WDDM 1.2 and DXGI 1.2. New features were first previewed at the Windows BUILD conference and include performance improvements as well as support for stereoscopic 3D rendering and video playback.
Other major features include preemptive multitasking with finer granularity (DMA buffer, primitive, triangle, pixel, or instruction-level), reduced memory footprint, improved resource sharing, and faster timeout detection and recovery. 16-bit color surface formats (565, 5551, 4444) are mandatory in Windows 8, and Direct3D 11 Video supports YUV 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:2:0/4:1:1 video formats with 8, 10, and 16-bit precision, as well as 4 and 8-bit palettized formats.

Technet overview

Will Windows 8 break sales records? Probably not. Is it worth upgrading to? Is any OS, really... Will it be "the end of Microsoft"? Nope.

Do we really have to go through this every release? It is amazing the effort people will go through to duplicate past shadows of others forgotten through error and chicken little panic before them.
Glen T
join:2003-11-03
BC

1 recommendation

Glen T

said by markofmayhem:

There is something deeply concerning with the malicious way advertising revenue is collected on tech sites in 2012. If you wish to make money, then you must repeat the same negativity, it FEEDS off of each other.

Wow. That's the first time that anyone has accused me of being sponsored to post negative opinions on a forum about a product to boost forum traffic for advertisers. Wouldn't that be nice!

However, my opinions are my own. And I post here because I hope that MS, being so sensitive to how the market feels about their products, is paying someone to troll forums like this to gather opinions. I sure can't find the "Tell us what you REALLY think of Windows" button on MS websites.

As an ISV, we do regularly get promotional material from MS indicating that they want us to help MS "thrill and amaze" their users. This indicates that to me that MS doesn't understand the corporate world (which the ironically dominate) at all. Corporate users don't want to be "thrilled and amazed." They want the OS to get the hell out of their way and let them do their work.

I think MS envies Apple. They miss having people lining up on sidewalks at midnight like they did for Win 95. It's not enough for MS to dominate the corporate world. They want to be loved too.

I agree with you, that I think the future is something like Corning is promoting - dedicated embedded devices with transparent OSs that integrate seamlessly. God I hope so. I don't want to be spending my weekends applying MS updates to my vehicles and domestic appliances 10 years from now.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

said by Glen T:

said by markofmayhem:

There is something deeply concerning with the malicious way advertising revenue is collected on tech sites in 2012. If you wish to make money, then you must repeat the same negativity, it FEEDS off of each other.

Wow. That's the first time that anyone has accused me of being sponsored to post negative opinions on a forum about a product to boost forum traffic for advertisers. Wouldn't that be nice!

I wasn't accusing you of being sponsored... you just happened to be the most recent post soundboarding the sponsored talking points

I receive promotional material from Microsoft, RedHat, Canonical, Oracle, Apple, etc. as well: they are all the same. Much different than the '90's, where they all had pictures of buildings either looking up at it or down from it: now it is colors and "amaze", "thrill", "excite", etc with clouds or cloud like colored wisps. All of them... it is comical. What is even more comical is to watch middle management, executive management, and MBA's wet their pants at the buzz words contained there-in. "We need profile managed deployment!"... Oh yeah?