how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

taxciter

join:2005-10-09
Virginia Beach, VA

[Billing] Verizon FiOS-only service requires automatic payment

After 1-1/2 hours of trying to change my FiOS service from a bundle to internet-only (even Customer Retention wasted my time trying to sell me on other bundles) my order was understood and scheduled. *Only then* did the rep reveal that I would now be required to make an automatic recurring payment via credit card, debit card, or bank draft.
I am in Virginia Beach, VA, and called the city (Local Franchise Authority) to see if this practice is regulated. Basically, there is a cable TV ordinance specific to Verizon, but it does not address payment type requirements nor internet service. My contact at the city did pass my complaint along via her channels to Verizon, who called me a few days later.
This Verizon rep would not reveal to me any reasons for the automatic payment policy. She did say it was up to Verizon to include it in their TOS agreements, and that it was not regulated by law.
So, it appears that local action would be necessary to change this policy by making it locally illegal.
I will be paying Verizon what I consider an exorbitant amount for "50/25" internet ($85/month with no contract), and their local competitor, Cox, is not much less.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

Re: [Billing] Verizon FiOS-only service requires automatic payme

The way I understand it, once phone service is part of the mix, that turns it to billable. Not sure about TV plus internet without phone.

No matter what, any one service is expensive, adding another is a bit more, then adding the third is a bit more. Here, I'm just talking about service, not hardware or premium extras.

The difference between one service and all three is half or less of the single service. Phone-only is cheaper, while internet-only is nearly the same as TV-only.

Cox plays similar games. Both encourage subscribers to "pay only a little more".

serge87

join:2009-11-29
reply to taxciter

Only on residential, business internet-only is pay as you please.

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to taxciter

When I first signed up for FiOS they told me I would have to be on an automatic payment plan. After talking to a few reps on the phone I was finally able to get it billable. I must have been lucky at the time. I do have triple play now.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

hszeto

join:2002-06-05
reply to taxciter

All you have to do is give a valid credit/debit card information to Verizon then sign up for paperless billing. As long as you pay before Verizon charges/debits your card, your card will not be charged/debited. Card information just became a back-up payment option. You can pay cash or check in person at Verizon Plus stores with no extra charge, or you can send in a check for payment.

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by hszeto:

All you have to do is give a valid credit/debit card information to Verizon then sign up for paperless billing. As long as you pay before Verizon charges/debits your card, your card will not be charged/debited. Card information just became a back-up payment option. You can pay cash or check in person at Verizon Plus stores with no extra charge, or you can send in a check for payment.

Sounds great in theory. I was double-charged on 3 separate occasions even when I had paid early in advance and had to call and haggle for my money back. Verizon billing incompetency is beyond words.

Boolah

join:2003-11-08
reply to taxciter

If your credit card supports it, you could generate a virtual credit card number which is valid only for the amount due for the first month of service and expires in one month.

hszeto

join:2002-06-05
reply to serge87

It has never happen to me, not even once. However, I must admit that I paid semi-annually. I paid on January 13, 2012 with due date on January 18, 2012 for exact amount of FiOS Internet charge until July 24, 2012. Then again, I paid on July 11, 2012 with due date on July 19, 2012 for exact amount of FiOS Internet charge until Jaunaur 24, 2013. There is not even a penny off.

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to taxciter

To OP:

If you're not happy with the force automatic payment way before the bill deadline, there is a way to circumvent it.

When I had residential internet-only, the automatic payment would usually charge around the 18th of every month, 1-2 weeks before the bill was actually due. I used a prepaid debit card and loaded it up with only the exact amount needed to pay the bill. When the next forced auto payment was tried on the prepaid card, it would be denied since there are no funds available. My bank-issued debit card would be safe from overdraft fees from surprise Verizon charges and my credit card would be safe from being charged over the card's limit.

codydog

join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to taxciter

I'm not familiar with Verizon's ToS, but if you're getting double/triple charged or charged before the bill is due, you may want to consider talking to your bank/cc company about it. Obviously the multiple charges are an "unauthorized" charge, I wonder if charging 2 weeks before its due is as well.

Maybe the bank can accept the charge but only pay it as of some date? Not sure but try and talk to the bank about it.

tembit

join:2008-09-03

I've had fios-only service for several years, but I've been pre-paying the entire year in advance. They still send me a bill every month indicating my declining credit, which has been consistently correct, as far as I can tell.