spc
uniqs
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish to NetFixer

to NetFixer

Re: [Business] C'mon Comcast, how hard is it to change a PTR rec

So if I'm reading this correctly, you were using an IP block for your domain on a residential account. Somehow using static IPs without paying for them ?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by ExoticFish:

So if I'm reading this correctly, you were using an IP block for your domain on a residential account. Somehow using static IPs without paying for them ?

No, he had a static IP block which he requested comcast set up reverse-dns entries to point to his domain names.

to other business class users with static IP addresses: the order of operations is

1) request reset of PTR records
1a) wait for conformation...
2) cancel static IPs

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 edits

NetFixer to ExoticFish

Premium Member

to ExoticFish
said by ExoticFish:

No, I have a business class account, and I used to have a static IP address block, but I converted my account to use dynamic IP addresses instead. I did that because my VPN usage changed, and the only thing I was doing that really needed a static IP address was a directly hosted email server. The email server was easily reconfigured to use a Comcast SMTP server as a smart host, and its MX records changed to use Comcast's MX servers (which temporarily use Comcast's email servers to store incoming email which can then be polled and downloaded by my local email server). A side benefit of using Comcast's email servers as an intermediary is that I can use their bandwidth and server capacity for spam and malware filtering before my local server even sees it.

Another side benefit of using a bridged modem with Comcast Business Class service is that I now have native dual stack IPv4/IPv6. This is something that was not possible with the SMCD3G-CCR operating in gateway mode (using either static IP addresses or a DHCP supplied dynamic IP address).

However, what you claim to assume is apparently what someone in Comcast's legal department also thought I was somehow magically (hint: it doesn't work that way) and illegally doing. Apparently my request to have the PTR records changed from pointing to my domain and point back to a Comcast domain instead went directly to Comcast's legal department (to someone who had no idea what a PTR record was, but assumed it was something bad anyway), and nobody in Comcast's engineering department even saw the request.