how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

HA Nut
Premium
join:2004-05-13
USA

[WIN7] How long will Win 7 be available to buy??

It's my understanding that PCs shipping after the Win 8 release date will have Win 8 pre-installed. But how long will 7 be available to buy? Would someone like Dell still sell Win 7 pre-installed? Let say I buy several 7 licenses before the 26th, can I take my time and deploy them over the next 2 or 3 months??

FWIW... I help look after a small business and after attending a meeting last week, I am pretty sure that Win 8 is not something I want to deal with. (I'm not trying to start a debate whether 8 is good, bad or indifferent. Just not wanting it for now...)

Thanks for any info anyone can provide!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by HA Nut:

Let say I buy several 7 licenses before the 26th, can I take my time and deploy them over the next 2 or 3 months??

Yes of course.

You can still buy and install Vista separately if you really wanted to
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
reply to HA Nut

»windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind···ifecycle

As of yet there is no planned end-date for sales of Windows 7 software.

To my knowledge, you can install any previous Windows version as long as you have a license key, you just can't get most anything older than Windows 7 as 'new' from retail channels.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
reply to HA Nut

When Vista came out there was a backlash too. It resulted in retailers still selling computers with XP on them (as well as Vista). If there backlash is pretty bad against Windows 8, the same situation might occur.

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA
reply to HA Nut

Windows 7 Support status:
1) Mainstream support until January 13, 2015
2) Extended support until January 14, 2020

Windows Vista Support status:
1) Mainstream support until April 10, 2012
2) Extended support until April 11, 2017

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

So... what's the definition of "mainstream support"?
--
♬ Music is life ♬

kvn864

join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ
kudos:1

I think this means a timeframe where you won't be able to purchase the OS or the PC with it.

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA
reply to darcilicious

Mainstream is where the OS is in full support where you can buy the OS. Extended means the OS is no longer for sale and being replaced by a newer OS but will get only the critical updates only.

Glen T

join:2003-11-03
BC
reply to zod5000

said by zod5000:

When Vista came out there was a backlash too. It resulted in retailers still selling computers with XP on them (as well as Vista). If there backlash is pretty bad against Windows 8, the same situation might occur.

As I recall, when Vista was released, MS had instructed OEMs to withdraw XP product from store shelves immediately and return them to the manufacturer. I know that Staples pulled OEM XP machines and could not sell them after Vista release.

HA Nut
Premium
join:2004-05-13
USA
reply to HA Nut

Thanks for the comments. Since I posted, I have ordered five Win 7 PCs. Hopefully, I'll still be able to buy Win 7 early in 2013 when my new budget kicks in. I'll still have at least a dozen or so to go after deploying these five...