uniqs
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul to 88615298

to 88615298

Re: BS from the anti-6 strikes side

said by 88615298:

If I get arrested for a crime, the cops think I did it( ie GUILTY of said crime ) before I've had a trial. Thus I have to pay to prove I am not guilty.

If I am sued in a civil case I have to pay to defend myself.

The difference is that you aren't paying money to the people who are accusing you. No court says "If you want to plead 'not guilty', you'll have to first pay us $100."
said by 88615298:

It would be incredibly bad luck to be falsely accused 6 times in a row.

Unless you leave your WiFi open for others to use, which despite much propaganda from the entertainment industry, is not a crime.
said by 88615298:

Considering the "penalty" the first 5 strikes is a letter and the penalty for the 6th strike is um NOTHING( maybe throttling ) I'm not seeing the point of all the hub bub.

There's no formal penalty for any of the strikes. That's left up to the ISP, which can terminate your account. Also, all of the information on accused subscribers is sent to the copyright holders who can decide to sue.
said by 88615298:

If you're accused of rape, sure there is a chance you are could be falsely accused. Happens all the time. However if you are accused 6 times in a row there is no way you are not guilty.

Actually, I can't find a reference now, but several years ago, there were a string of rapes in one city and all of the witnesses positively IDed the same guy, even though he had alibis for each of the rapes. The police finally discovered that it was another guy who looked enough like the first guy to be his brother. As I recall, the show Law & Order SVU used it as the basis for one of their episodes.

Considering that researchers were able to trick the copyright industry into sending infringement notices to a networked printer's IP address (a device incapable of reproducing movies or music), it's not impossible that someone else could cause you to be mistakenly sent infringement notices.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by Rekrul:

[The difference is that you aren't paying money to the people who are accusing you. No court says "If you want to plead 'not guilty', you'll have to first pay us $100."

Have you even been to court? Every time you show up to court it is going to cost you money. That's why they have thing called COURT COSTS. Not to mention the money you pay your lawyer just for him to show up in court for you to plead NOT GUILTY. It's more than $35 trust me.
said by 88615298:

Unless you leave your WiFi open for others to use, which despite much propaganda from the entertainment industry, is not a crime.

It's not a crime for me to leave my car door unlocked and have the keys inside. It's not very smart either. Only a dumbass would have open Wi-Fi on a residential connection. That's just a lame excuse.
said by 88615298:

There's no formal penalty for any of the strikes. That's left up to the ISP, which can terminate your account. Also, all of the information on accused subscribers is sent to the copyright holders who can decide to sue.

If you actually read the law you can not be disconnected for a 6th strike.

Sure an ISP can disconnect you, but that's part of their TOS which they have had for YEARS. So technically they can cut you off after ONE strike if they choose. And they will maintain that right even if this law were to be abolished.
said by 88615298:

Actually, I can't find a reference now, but several years ago, there were a string of rapes in one city and all of the witnesses positively IDed the same guy, even though he had alibis for each of the rapes. The police finally discovered that it was another guy who looked enough like the first guy to be his brother. As I recall, the show Law & Order SVU used it as the basis for one of their episodes.

That's ONE incidence in my book. Once a guy is arrested for rape other victims can be convinced that that guy did it, especially if the new media make him seem 100% guilty and the cops encourage then to finger the guy. I'm talking about 6 completely separate and non connected rapes.

Considering that researchers were able to trick the copyright industry into sending infringement notices to a networked printer's IP address (a device incapable of reproducing movies or music), it's not impossible that someone else could cause you to be mistakenly sent infringement notices.

The word RESEARCHERS. Please enough with the rare weird examples to prove a point. Just because there have been proven case where earing a seatbelt actually caused a death where there wouldn't otherwise be one doesn't mean you stop wearing seatbelts.

I can find a guy that smoked 3 packs a day and drank a fifth of whisky a day and lived to be 100. That doesn't mean that will happen to everyone.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul

said by 88615298:

Have you even been to court?

Only once for jury duty (where after making me come in at 8:00AM and then waiting all afternoon, they told me they didn't even need any jurors that day).
said by 88615298:

It's not a crime for me to leave my car door unlocked and have the keys inside. It's not very smart either.

If someone steals you car because you left it unlocked with the keys in it, and uses it in a crime, do you get charged?
said by 88615298:

Only a dumbass would have open Wi-Fi on a residential connection. That's just a lame excuse.

If you leave your car unlocked with the keys in it and it gets stolen, you no longer have your car. If you leave your WiFi open, you still have it, and your neighbors can share it. Or is sharing now considered bad? Should parents be teaching children not to share? Maybe when some kid wants some of little Bobby's candy, he should be rewarded for yelling "Get your own!"
said by 88615298:

If you actually read the law you can not be disconnected for a 6th strike.

It's not actually a law. There is no law one way or the other. Which means that customers don't have any legal protection in this agreement.
said by 88615298:

The word RESEARCHERS. Please enough with the rare weird examples to prove a point.

Yes, because it's not like there are hackers who can and will crack WiFi passwords or spoof IP addresses to hide their activities. I mean, that would be like the equivalent of building a fancy tone generator to scam the phone company out of long-distance charges or to get free calls at a pay phone, and we all know that those things never happened...