uniqs
share rss forum feed

Glen T

join:2003-11-03
BC
reply to zod5000

Re: [BC] Shaw bate and switch

said by zod5000:

I don't consider it a bait & switch. It's pretty unlikely a customer service rep is informed of price increases a month in advance.

I call it bate and switch because Shaw just introduced the new plans and new pricing earlier this year.

Do you think that their revenue planning is so bad, that someone at Shaw actually said, 'holly crap, we're losing money on EXO' last quarter?

No. What I think is that they decided that they have enough of a speed edge over Telus that they can raise prices to what the market will bear. Its introductory pricing without calling it that. It may have preempted some customes from switching to Telus (which is what I had been considering).

Another irony is that my Shaw Business 50 connection at work is actually slower than my High Speed 10 connection at home (for downloads). Only the upload is faster (which is why we got it at work).

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
said by Glen T:

Another irony is that my Shaw Business 50 connection at work is actually slower than my High Speed 10 connection at home (for downloads). Only the upload is faster (which is why we got it at work).

Personally... I would call Shaw until your Business 50 was faster than your HS10...

Glen T

join:2003-11-03
BC
said by ravenchilde:

Personally... I would call Shaw until your Business 50 was faster than your HS10...

Yeah, its interesting that when I run Shaw's speed test, it always sits right up at the top of the 50 range, but real world performance on downloads of the same file (from our website) at home and work show transfer rates about the same or a little worse for the Business 50 connection. Uploads are great, though.