neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Another fee...

Great... another reason for Brighthouse to collect more money. Bad thing is the users who are on digital phone don't have an option to use their own equipment... Otherwise, I would gladly drag my Motorola SB out of the box...
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

88615298 (banned)

said by neonhomer:

Great... another reason for Brighthouse to collect more money. Bad thing is the users who are on digital phone don't have an option to use their own equipment... Otherwise, I would gladly drag my Motorola SB out of the box...

Yes they have an option. Don't get Brighthouse phone service.

BimmerE38FN
join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to neonhomer

to neonhomer
Have you checked to see if Motorola SVB or SVG series of cable/phone modems would work on your ISP system? Motorola has several cable models with phone service options. Might be worth checking out.

»www.motorola.com/Video-S ··· nd-eMTAs
swbrains
join:2004-04-14
Land O Lakes, FL

swbrains to neonhomer

to neonhomer
As much as I disagree with this fee and would prefer to own my own equipment, BH have calculated the increase wisely.

If it were a $10/month fee, many customers would bail and bring their own modem as the payback period would be quite short. But at $2/month vs. $100 for a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, the payback on the investment is over 4 years (assuming the fee remains the same during that period).

Given the lengthy break-even period, how can I be sure that my personally-owned DOCSIS 3.0 modem will still be usable for the service(s) I have subscribed to (or may switch to) until it's paid for itself?

And that's not considering the possibility of failure. I've certainly had enough routers that have not lasted more than 18 months. If my own modem dies after year or two, the ROI period becomes even longer...

Ultimately, for me, it just makes Fios (which is available at my house) a more competitive option. Particularly since my BH "promotion" expired last month and my bill went up by $10 even before the $2 modem fee.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to 88615298

to 88615298
POTS > VOIP

- POTS works come hell or high water, short of the CO being under water, or the physical infrastructure being destroyed.
- You can buy a POTS phone anywhere, for $10 or less.
- Equipment made over one hundred years ago will still work on a modern POTS line.

If you need a landline POTS is the way to go. If you don't want the reliability of POTS why have a landline at all? Go wireless and choose from one of the many unlimited plans currently available, most are priced competitively with the cable company's VOIP offering.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103

Wireless (at least prepaid) is typically cheap if you don't use your phone often.

POTS is getting harder to find in urban areas - FiOS markets and Uverse markets are pushing their VoIP versions